1. 2,750

Front-page
    ZuBgePI.png

As many are aware, back in the day, for those that played Sonic & Knuckles when it was brand new, the cart provided "lock-on technology" which would allow for other Sonic games to be inserted onto the cart in order to get special features. In the case of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, doing so would unlock Knuckles as a playable character in the game. While it may not be as significant as the content Sonic 3 & Knuckles provided, a port of the latter is still quite bleak. But it's still good news for the upcoming SEGA Ages version of Sonic 2, which will include the & Knuckles bonus of playing as the red echidna. Japanese magazine Famitsu announced this addition in their latest issue, along with granting players the ability to start the game with Super Sonic unlocked, as well as the inclusion of Sonic Mania's Drop Dash move. The SEGA Ages Sonic 2 port lacks a launch date at this time, but it has been confirmed for an eventual release on the Nintendo Switch eShop.

:arrow: Source

matpower, FEF1, HylianBran and 4 others like this.
  2. Discussion (17 replies)

3. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

United States
    Cool, there's no better excuse to double dip on Sonic 2. I was compelled to pick up Space Harrier yet again on Switch for TV play and the new little assistant thingy, but still feel like 3DS had the more interesting version. It's still rarely disappointing to see what M2 will add to their Sega Ages releases.

bomigoton likes this.
  4. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Serbia, Republic of
    & Knuckles

DS1 and Lostbhoy like this.
  5. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    *Another* new version of Sonic 2? Are they going to bury Taxman's excellent work yet again?

It made sense on the 3DS; they put decent work into the 3D effects (even though no one really cared about 3D). But the Retro Engine is adequately portable, surely?

6. Xalusc

Xalusc Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Korea, North
    Why don't they just re-release the Taxman port already? Ffs

DarthDub, Pleng and shaunj66 like this.
  7. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Argentina
    I got Sonic Mega Collection Plus for the PS2 so no thank you.

GoldBanjo and Jayro like this.
  8. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    I've got a bunch of Sega Roms in that Genesis Collection on Steam. And Sonic Mania on Switch.

But I love Knuckles...

9. eskinner3742

eskinner3742 GBAtemp Professional Lurker

United States
    I never understood why the Christian Whitehead ports have been trapped on mobile all these years. Why not make them the console releases? I refuse to pay for emulation when I have them literally everywhere for free.

Pleng likes this.
  10. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    In this version could knuckles "fly" or was he just a copy of Sonic?

11. eskinner3742

eskinner3742 GBAtemp Professional Lurker

United States
    It's literally the knuckles data from Sonic & knuckles so, yeah. Does knuckles stuff like glide and climb.

12. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

United States
    Since when is this emulated?

13. Kwyjor

Canada
    I've read that his reduced jump height means that the final boss of Sonic 2 requires great precision.

M2 conceived of the 3DS versions of Sonic the Hedgehog as ports to an imaginary "Gigadrive" system. I presume this new Switch port builds further off their existing work.
    https://www.siliconera.com/emulating-megadrive-3ds-isnt-easy-enter-3d-sonic-hedgehog/

14. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    How is Sonic 2 with Knuckles in it a news worthy thing?
    We had this in the remastered version on android long long ago.
    Heck it's almost a feature that should always be included with the game and this is just the roms packed into the emulator.
    Gimmie the remastered versions of one and two any day, heck I'd buy those again on Switch for sure. (Sonic CD too)
    M2 is great and all but it's pretty slim pickings for eight bucks when a superior version of Sonic 2 exists.
    Albeit ridden with ads but those can be disabled with a payment so not too bad.

M2 is great and all but I get the feeling they aren't paid enough to do much with these ages titles.

15. jesus96

jesus96 Pinkboi

Mexico
    I just hope they also add the levels of the android port

16. CaptainSlayHoes

Newcomer

United States
    There was a patch version of Sonic 2 that includes Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles at the same time. Sega should have originally made the game like that. Its awsome

17. urbanman2004

urbanman2004 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    They could at least bring on a PC port too while they're at it. Don't mind me, just wishful thinking.

18. Kwyjor

Canada
    As per the video in my first post, Sonic 1 and 2 are on Steam, and the Steam Workshop (being woefully unmoderated) includes the patch to play as Knuckles, along with everything else.

19. urbanman2004

urbanman2004 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well excuse me for not reading anything else other than the OP :P

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Hedgehog, Knuckles, playable