Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rommy667 said:
Why dont ye all just get a mod chip works with 98%of all cube stuff
smile.gif

I would, but I hate soldering and dont want to ship it to some random guy not in my area to do it. Plus nobody in my area even knows wii hacking

hughjass

Trophies
Website
www.marcreeves.co.uk
XP
Country
rommy667 said:
Why dont ye all just get a mod chip works with 98%of all cube stuff
smile.gif

Because not everyone is capable of installing one, and others don't want to open up and modify their system (warranty is a big reason why.)

I get fed up of people just saying go and buy a modchip. If everybody had that attitude we would have no backup launchers, and a lot of advancements with wii coding wouldn't have necessarily been made.

this topic is about discussing creating a GC backup loader, not about questioning whether we need one or not. Some people don't want one, but plenty do. If you don't want one that's fine, but respect other peoples opinions please.

hughjass

Trophies
Website
www.marcreeves.co.uk
XP
Country
supersonic88 said:
im sorry but i have to throw in my 2 cents
most of the stores selling gamecube games are selling used games (its almost impossible to find some games new)in which case a good majority of the money from buying those used games (if not, all the money) just goes to the store buying and selling the things, in a way your not really stealing much from nintendo, your stealing more from the store (gamestop, game crazy, ect)

i would love a gamecube backup loader, my mario kart double dash is barely hanging in there, im suprised it even works. i'd love to just be able to make a copy...

In actual fact nobody would be stealing any profits from nintendo. Gamecube games are no longer in production, the only 'new' GC games are one's that were bought long ago but have not been used by anyone. The only people losing out on profit are the shops selling used games. It's kind of beside the point though anyway, because this topic isnt about the moral or legal issues of piracy.

Anyway, I would like a GC backup loader, because I would like to back up my GC games so I don't have to play the original disks. Buying games second hand means that games often arent in great condition, and so I don't want their state to be made any worse.

Also, there are quite a few rare games, that are either too hard to find, or too expensive. I wouldn't be prepared to buy them anyway (not when they cost like 50-100) so being able to download and play them would be good, because i'd get to experience games I will never be able to afford.

But yeah, I like to collect games, and keep them in good condition, so not having to use the original disks is good cuz it's keeps them unused, and they'll hopefully last longer.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

TheWon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well since we are just discussing the idea of a GC backup launcher. I would really like one too. There were a few Japanese imports I never got, and now are out of print. I was able to find the iso of it, but can't play it. My life will not be over if I don't get to play it. If launcher was to be made I know I would use it.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LightyKD said:
Can we GET TO WORK NOW?!?! Lets be productive and start coming up with some ideas, some codes, SOMETHING!!!
Believe it or not, this is not the hacker scene, and it never will be. Aside from like 2-4 people, there aren't any active members who know their stuff well enough to create something on this low of a level. All we can really do is wait for the powers that be to discover some exploit that would allow them to create something like this. The exact same thing is happening right now on the ipod touch fans forum regarding the 2nd gen jailbreak, only difference is there is one guy who is getting bombarded with questions and stupid comments because he has been attempting to keep everyone up to date on his progress. This is why the often titled 'hackers' tend to shy away from forums such as gbatemp.

On topic: I do not condone piracy, however I would love a backup launcher so that I can play my 3+ games which have been scratched to the point of unplayability

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Link5084 said:
Matt93 said:
I don't know how you can complain about a gamecube backup loader and support wii loaders. Explain what the difference is!

GC Backup Loader = Play backup GC games on a Wii disc
Wii Loader = Play Wii games on a burned disc

Also yeah, the real reason we all want the GC backup loader is the economy. We all don't have a lot of money with us right now and we need to save the money for stuff like paying for rent, mortgage, school, food, etc.

We all benefit with the GCN backup loader.

Please don't tell people we'll benefit from this because of the economy. I'm not against a loader, but still, to save the economy, we need to infuse money into it.

Maybe these loaders came out at a bad time. I appreciate them and all... but with the current state of the economy, I'm not so sure their worthwhile except for the 10 true backup players.

That said, I do use the backup loader. But only to launch games with a higher update than 3.2.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use GeckoOS to launch stuff higher than 3.2. Or you could use Starfall to disable disk updates. But back on topic, GCN loader needs to happen.

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
to any interested in getting a gamecube loader actually working..... this came from wiigator in the backup gamma thread...

One remark to the GameCube discussion:
I sent the source code for starting GameCube games on Wii to ppc_gba. It is not possible to run the games, because the games use the wrong DVD command to read the DVD. I don't know, if he was able to get around the problems. I haven't yet tried to get this working
I patched the MIOS and there is no further patch required for MIOS, because this will not help in any way.
What you currently could do is: Accessing DVD with Homebrew software in GameCube mode. So you could watch a DVD in GameCube mode. I don't what sense this will make, because you can this already in Wii mode, but it is possible.

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Some technical knowledge on the restrictions (like why cant we) would be nice.

This is also worth looking through in my opinion:

HackMii MIOS

Perhaps not useful, but worth a read.

And I got a working setup capable of playing GC backups with the SDGecko + hacked MIOS, so anyone need to test anything id be glad to help out

p.s. whats with all the flaming 'OMG GO BUY GC GAMES WE DONT NEED A LOADER', i live in aus, and theres NOWHERE where I can buy gc games. So stop screaming

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
MicShadow said:
Some technical knowledge on the restrictions (like why cant we) would be nice.

This is also worth looking through in my opinion:

HackMii MIOS

Perhaps not useful, but worth a read.

And I got a working setup capable of playing GC backups with the SDGecko + hacked MIOS, so anyone need to test anything id be glad to help out

p.s. whats with all the flaming 'OMG GO BUY GC GAMES WE DONT NEED A LOADER', i live in aus, and theres NOWHERE where I can buy gc games. So stop screaming

Are you looking for this:

QUOTE(WiiGator @ Nov 5 2008, 01:39 AM) I already tried to load GameCube games. The result was:
- GCBooter Homebrew using cIOS from Backup Launcher v0.3 (IOS_Reload() is the only change required).
- A patched MIOS, which enables backups.
- A changed GCOS (replaced 0xA8 by 0xD0).

I was able to start a game, but the game uses the wrong DI commands for reading. So I got one of the famous "Disc eject" errors.
You don't need the DIP plugin source code to write a backup loader for GC mode.

Here are some details for the experts:
- The DVD reset is executed within IOS from Wii mode. You can only access a DVD in GC mode, when the reset was done before. You will need an IOS with enabled backup support.
- The BC disables the backup support. There is no change in BC required.
- The MIOS disables the backup support. When it is reenabled by clearing one bit in a starlet register, it will work.
- The MIOS code (starlet) doesn't handle or change any DVD command. The broadway CPU has in GC mode direct access to the DI registers. The broadway CPU can't access the DI registers in Wii mode.
- GC games use the DVD command 0xA8 for reading the DVDs, same is true for Wii mode. DVD offsets must be 4 Byte aligned. Size must be 32 Byte aligned (maybe less?). Destination address must be 32 Byte aligned.
- Backups are read using 0xD0 command. DVD offsets must be 0x800 aligned, same value for the size. Destination address must be 32 Byte aligned.
- GC games are not encrypted.

The changed alignment restrictions between 0xA8 and 0xD0 are the biggest problem. You can't just replace 0xA8 by 0xD0. There is more required. You need to mix GCOS and SD-Boot. The result may be a compatibilty like SD-Boot and not like GCOS. My question for ppc_gba is now: Do you want to write this hook code?

This sounds pretty technical, and there is explained why we can't run gamecube backups at the moment or what would be needed for this. The only problem is: I don't understand it(and that's not WiiGator's fault, i think he is explaining well enough!)

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ah thanks WiiPower.

Well im no Wii technical expert, but I know enough about the Wii and computing in general to understand most of that.

But yeah, It looks like some sort of flaw or breakthrough is the only thing gonna help here

snkngshps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad this thread is back on topic.

QUOTE said:
Get a modchip
Not everyone wants to install a physical modchip and risk damaging their wii.

QUOTE said:
Just buy the games, they are cheap
Rare and import games are not cheap and the money isn't going to Nintendo. Some GC games aren't available at all in some places. Also, not everyone is in this for piracy. Some want genuine backups of their old GC games (myself included).\

QUOTE said:
It encourages piracy
I don't even know why this discussion got started. Everyone on this board is in support of the Wii Backup Launcher, this is the same thing for GC. If you wanted to weigh which is a greater threat, the Wii Launcher means Nintendo is losing sales on new games. Nintendo doesn't make money on GC games anymore. I'm not saying either is morally acceptable but it is complete nonsense to argue for the Wii launcher and against a GC launcher.

It's a waste of time
There are obviously a lot of people interested in this, so it's not a waste of time.

If you do not want a GC backup loader then don't bother posting to this thread!

It all comes down to the desires of hackers and coders. We can all wish for a GC loader but we are fully dependent on the hackers that make this stuff; but if they are looking for any sort of demand, put me down for a "Yes".

robiul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't there a way to play gamecube backups through sdgekko, where you put the iso file in a gcgames folder and load using sd-boot.
Well a few weeks backs I posted a thread http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123280 a gamecube homebrew launcher which allows the booting through sd card with hacked mios included, okay so what if you say you run the launcher, make it run a gamecube backup launcher.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm