The Responsible Gamer's Guide to Steam Sales

trgg1_zps6eb947d2.png

It’s a magical time that comes twice a year, you guessed it; I’m talking about Steam Sales. In this short and time-tested guide I’ll explain how to navigate the labyrinth that is the Steam Sale. I’ll help you budget your time and money to optimize your savings and outline the pitfalls of extreme discounts.

trgg2_zpsb63231e6.png

This pre-sale strategy can be used year round as you will be notified via email (if you opted in to this feature) when items on your Official Wish List goes on sale.

• Make an Official Wish list – Create a wishlist using your Steam account; this list should include games you genuinely want to play. Be vigilant and do your research, especially if they are newer releases. The games that make the cut will be part of your main budget. (I’ll get to this in a second.)
  • Make an Unofficial Wish list – Write down or mentally make a list of games you’re still interested in, in spite of reviews. This list can also include smaller indie games, if they aren't included in your main budget, and possibly DLC for games you already own. These games will be part of your secondary budget, if you choose to have one.
  • Main & Secondary Budget? What? – With Steam Sales you will see older or smaller titles that you usually wouldn't give a second glance at low prices. If you have a strict budget, USUALLY you can resist, but it can get ugly. My suggestion? Have a secondary budget no more than $10 allotted to these impulse buys. You won’t feel as bad when you do give in and buy that lesser known game for $2.49.

Now, since that’s taken care of let’s talk about your main budget. This should be the absolute maximum that you’re willing to spend on the sale overall. It can be as little as $20 and for some as high as $100. Personally, I allow myself $40 with the $10 secondary budget for DLC. This is entirely up to you!
trgg3_zpsb8484a87.png

Let’s get down to business! The sales can generally last 11-14 days with flash deals, community voted deals and the deals of the day. This rush of sales poses a few questions.

• When should I buy? – If you’re looking to buy a newer title (one released within 6 months of the sale) if possible, I’d wait until the next sale. While it is entirely possible that the game might go on sale for 50% off, with new titles at their release price, it will still take a big chunk out of your budget. Waiting for a great deal is hard but you’ll likely have more than enough games to play in the meantime.

Speaking of percentages, during the sale we’ll see games at times go from 50%, 66% or 75%. Be picky! If you see a larger discount, take it. If you can stand to wait, you might see the same title come around a bit cheaper. This is entirely up to you.

• Bundle it? – Some of the more notable features of the Steam sale are bundles! While developer bundles, where all the popular titles from some developers are grouped together can be a great deal, they could eat your budget entirely. Keep an eye out for series bundles, it usually includes the option to buy the newer release of the series for a percentage off and it’s a great way to dive in to a series without a large investment.

• The Buddy System – If you have a friend who is also going to participate in the sale, team up! It’s entirely possible that they can catch deals that you might have overlooked; you can also tag-team the flash sales and community votes as these deals change throughout the day.
    This also comes in handy if you regularly play co-op with your friend; you can easily plan ahead and get games that you could play together.
Finally, using common sense and allowing yourself to make a few "mistakes" you can easily survive the Steam Sales without going completely broke.

Reactions: earlynovfan

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am honestly just not seeing it in this tutorial, even though the effort makes the tutorial pretty nice. The whole thing can be tl;dr'd by saying what emigre just said, which is learning financial responsibility and self-control...

EDIT: Ah, you just responded, but even so you tl;dr'd yourself at the end by saying that with common sense you'll be able to make it through the sale, which basically made reading the tutorial not quite so beneficial. ;) Might want to change the wording a bit there. :P

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am honestly just not seeing it in this tutorial, even though the effort makes the tutorial pretty nice. The whole thing can be tl;dr'd by saying what emigre just said, which is learning financial responsibility and self-control...

In fairness, this is GBAtemp. There are bound to be retards who would benefit greatly from this guide.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In fairness, this is GBAtemp. There are bound to be retards who would benefit greatly from this guide.

Haha, you have a point there. But he basically made reading the thing pointless by saying how common sense will be a big survival factor... :rolleyes:

Luhof

Trophies
Website
luhof.fr
XP
Country
France
About that "buddy system" : I remember some sales like "buy 1 get 1 copy for a friend" (or even buy 1 get 4). Having some common wishes is like supercool then. There is the sale, plus you divide the price by 2.

OR you wait during the end of the sale for someone telling you "hey, got spare copies of Terraria, Castle Crashers, want one?"
Damn I love steam.

Reactions: earlynovfan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: does WiiVC injector script work on aroma wiiu?