Question The REAL Reason why no XCI support outside of SXOS

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Grmmish, May 13, 2019.

1. Grmmish
    OP

Grmmish GBAtemp Fan

Sep 6, 2018
    United States
    SOLVED

RednaxelaNnamtra

Atmospehre is not supporting nsp installations that are not your own eshop dumps that are properly signed for your console by itself, only when you use external patches you can install converted nsps, homebrew nsps or pirated nsps.

Also here is a post from a dev about this topic:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/whats-the-challenge-with-the-xci-loader.520247/page-3#post-8324588

and a bit from him about the possibility of the user dumping this information by himself:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/whats-the-challenge-with-the-xci-loader.520247/page-4#post-8440923

No more discussion.

ORIGINAL:

Ok. I heard many stories. "XCI is only for piracy." "No one cares for piracy or supports it other than money-grabbing TX" blablabla.

Can someone tell me the REAL reason behind NSP-only suppport? It seems far-fetched the guys don't make XCI support when a lot of things (Non piracy related) has allowed far malicious things than XCI.
    All I can think of is NSPs are simply icons on the screen with a game. Which XCIs are packaged in a cartridge form... Where homebrew should not be packaged in a cartridge form? My point is. There is an XCI->NSP and Installable XCIs.... So where is the problem? Yes. They are BOTH able to be used for piracy so I simply do not understand these reasons. And I KNOW tX is not the only ones with the knowledge and ability to mount XCI due to more vast knowledge. Come on.

Last edited by Grmmish, May 14, 2019
    Darth Meteos likes this.
  2. der:Tom

der:Tom GBAtemp Regular

Oct 3, 2008
    Austria
    I also never understood this since the first hack, xci has some advantages over nsp like mounting them from usb also we already can build our own xci´s with updates and dlcs, we can install them like nsp´s so they are playable (-> piracy) but we CAN`T just mount them (without sx)?

DaBlackDeath likes this.
  3. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    The people who can do it don't give a fuck because XCI is irrelevant for homebrew. It's as simple as that. And it's not legal anyway since it requires copyrighted material to make it work.

bad361, DSwizzy, mathew77 and 2 others like this.
  4. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    this has been explained so many times already.

5. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    1) TX way to implement it is highly illegal
    2) XCI isn't necessity for a majority
    3) Nobody have cared to make one since argument nr. 2. NSP files are fine for like 99% of the pirates.

fourminute, DSwizzy and Pipistrele like this.
  6. Litle_Bird

Litle_Bird GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2017
    Sweden
    I'm just curious, howcome TX's implementation of XCI-loading is illegal? I always guessed they more or less redirect the calls to/from the cartridge slot to the nand somewhat similar to how the cIOS on the Wii would redirect the drive calls to a USB device.

7. linuxares

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Nope, what I heard they ripped the firmware out of the card, implenented it to their software, and that's why it can do the mounting. How true it is I don't know, but the way they do it anyway is illegal. Plus keys etc are inside it.

Vorde and Litle_Bird like this.
  8. Sumandora

Sumandora Im using Parental Controls. Change my Mind!

Nov 13, 2018
    Germany
    well currently there are no real reasons
    btw its illegal yes and NSPs not? @linuxares
    and its only for piracy.... but EmuNAND and NSPs not for piracy?
    yea perfect arguments
    SX OS got already cracked but extracting SYSMODS is a to big progress (i GuEsS) so no real reasons
    but so SX OS has still reasons to buy it.... and thats good...

9. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

Apr 27, 2018
    United States
    About your sig
    why would you rip your own games and not have the cert for it?

10. linuxares

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Let me break it up:
    XCI files are manily rips from games, nsp files are very much so, but not always. A lot of homebrews are installed as nsp files.
    Emunand is not for piracy only, homebrew as well. To keep your sysnand clean and if someone breaks your emunand, it just broke your emunand.
    SXOS have been cracked multiple times as far as I know, nobody just have cared to release the cracked version(?) I can't say if it's true or not since I never seen it in action.

Yes, SXOS got reasons but buy it, but also a lot of reasons not to. It's up to the users themselves to decide.

11. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    EmuNAND is great for homebrew users in the first place. Not necessarily pirates.
    Also there are NSPs of homebrews (Goldleaf, RetroArch, HBmenu to name the most famous ones) and they can be created easily with NRO2NSP.

I want XCI mounting in Atmo as well but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Edit: :ninja: by linuxares

12. enarky

enarky owls?

GBAtemp Patron
    enarky is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 31, 2003
    Afghanistan
    I'm pretty sure few people would care for XCI loading anymore if it was possible to mount NSPs like XCIs. Personally I just don't want to go through the installation orgy anytime I just want to try out a new game. A simple NSP choser that mounts any NSP to a placeholder entry, like XCIs being mounted to the cartridge slot, would be pretty great.

13. Taorn

Taorn GBAtemp Regular

May 27, 2017
    United States
    I actually never quite understood why people get so emotional over this topic. Nor why nsp installation is considered as such a hassle.

I found XCI mounting to be much more bothersome. Instead of doing a one time installation, you would need to mount the games image everytime you want to play it. It's basically a one time investment against the need to invest time each time you want to play another game.

I'm also curious how long it takes for this to derail into tribalism. : - )

14. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Since you decided to open your mouth and spout nonsense for the umpteenth time...
    nothing about installing and launching .NSP files are illegal like .XCI files which are illegally implemented because as linuxares said, TX used Nintendo's code to implement .XCI loading.

RednaxelaNnamtra likes this.
  15. Sumandora

Sumandora Im using Parental Controls. Change my Mind!

Nov 13, 2018
    Germany
    and you are using Nintendos code to install NCAs NSPs and CMNT NCAs...

16. Mthodmn101

Mthodmn101 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    The only reason I see now for XCI loading would be if usb was implemented on atmos. Most of the time my switch is docked so would be nice to have access to most of my games instead of being limited by size of SD card, even though a 400gb card is super cheap now

17. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Please cite Nintendo code in Tinfoil, Goldleaf, DZ, etc.

18. enarky

enarky owls?

GBAtemp Patron
    enarky is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 31, 2003
    Afghanistan
    Which is perfectly fine if you're playing a game regularly. I just want to give new games a spin for a while, mostly if I haven't decided that I want to buy them. Most of the games I try won't ever be loaded a second time. Installing them as NSP would be a huge waste of time.

DSwizzy likes this.
  19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I find the talk of keys and ripped code to be amusing, and probably a red herring of sorts, or at least a convenient excuse* to dismiss things with, if going by historical examples and likely legal outcomes of things anyway. That said it could well be those these days with the time, tools and talent** to implement such a feature, possibly also maintain it, have it contrived such that it is against their morals. Most such times if it happens then so it goes, indeed we saw it several times on the Switch already as that file replacement method got twisted to wholesale replacement and thus ROM running. More amusingly is if SXOS is so deleterious to the future of the homebrew scene as some seem to want to claim then "take away their advantages" is a superb plan, though that would also mean making somewhat stable and workable stuff so that might be a bigger ask than I realise.

*I think my favourite being "the switch is optionally portable so nobody wants USB" when "clearly not as in this very thread, repeated other threads and citations, reviews and general bloody logic would showcase" is the immediate answer. I don't know if that is a supremely bad attempt at gaslighting (though I have seen worse attempts work) or similar manipulation.

**while it is a non trivial effort (not just an "add to allowed extensions and recompile" type job) I have seen some claim it is a more involved thing, and others claim it is an hour or so. Not sure what to believe here but "nothing a determined evening of coding could not sort" is probably where I would put my money. From scratch might be more but at the same time the concepts do seem to be well known and understood. Even if distribution of it "as is" might be tricky one traditionally then makes a "plugin" type scenario. This does also mean the old staple of "source is that way, feel free to do it yourself" is in play.

gizmomelb and Tumbleweed like this.
  20. crono999

crono999 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2006
    As far as I know, you need a driver to mount an xci, that’s where the problem is.

Writing the driver isn’t a problem tough, but using/releasing it....