esoterica

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
So about a month ago, I allowed a friend from work to borrow my DS while I was out of town, and he lost it somehow, along with my R4 card (which is legit). Now I'm getting a new DSL and need another flash cart and was this close to buying the R4 III, thinking it was some better, new version of it, but luckily I decided to come on the forums and saw that apparently these new cards are fakes and cannot be trusted since they have been known to brick a system.

As of now, I am contemplating buying a R4 at all, or at least, I'd like to know some trusted sites that have legit ones and will not send me a fake one disguised as a real one. And of course, there is the option of buying a completely different card period, and I hear the CycloDS is quite good but the price seems a bit hefty. Anyone have suggestions?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I've just replace my R4 with a DSTT. I'm running YSMenu on it and it's got a nice simple R4 style interface. Couldn't be happier with my choice. If cash is an issue I can definitely recommend it. Plus if you've got a 3-in-1 there's no need for ExpLoader anymore as it's all integrated. Plus so is NES/GB/GBC emulation (if you've got a 3-in-1).

ainen

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since your friend lost it, I hope your friend's replacing it. If that's the case, why not the Cyclo?
yaynds.gif

esoterica

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, he's replacing the DS but it was partly my fault he had lost it too, so I decided to cover the flash cart. I volunteered to let him borrow it and then I neglected to make an effort to go get it back, and then he left it at the store we worked at and he thinks the repair guys stole it... ANYWAYS... you know, I just might buy the Cyclo. I don't see many sites that sell it though and there doesn't seem to be many options. What is the best site to purchase it from?

Edit: I mean, if price weren't an issue, CycloDS is the best flash cart right? Just for its features or does it possess something else that makes it "better"?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
esoterica said:
Well, he's replacing the DS but it was partly my fault he had lost it too, so I decided to cover the flash cart. I volunteered to let him borrow it and then I neglected to make an effort to go get it back, and then he left it at the store we worked at and he thinks the repair guys stole it... ANYWAYS... you know, I just might buy the Cyclo. I don't see many sites that sell it though and there doesn't seem to be many options. What is the best site to purchase it from?

Edit: I mean, if price weren't an issue, CycloDS is the best flash cart right? Just for its features or does it possess something else that makes it "better"?

The CycloDS has the most features of all the carts as far as I know. Real-time save, in game guides, iin game cheat menus etc. etc.

JPdensetsu

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Taiwan
TrolleyDave said:
esoterica said:

The CycloDS has the most features of all the carts as far as I know. Real-time save, in game guides, iin game cheat menus etc. etc.
the EDGE is almost the same, only the realsave isn't in it
frown.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
DieForIt said:
TrolleyDave said:
esoterica said:

the EDGE is almost the same, only the realsave isn't in it
frown.gif

It doesn't have the in-game FAQ/text reader either does it? I'm not really up on the Cyclo or EDGE, all I really know is that EDGE is a clone of the Cyclo minus a few features like you say.

esoterica

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Can I expect Deal Extreme to sell me a real version of the R4DS? All these fakes and bricking rumors is scaring me. I wish the CycloDS was on their site, but I bought some other stuff and don't want to buy it off 2 diff sites.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
esoterica said:
Can I expect Deal Extreme to sell me a real version of the R4DS? All these fakes and bricking rumors is scaring me. I wish the CycloDS was on their site, but I bought some other stuff and don't want to buy it off 2 diff sites.
Just get an Acekard 2 then. Simple as that.

There is no real R4 anymore. The only real ones would be used ones. Even DX's R4s won't be real.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
esoterica said:

hold up thats your fault? sounds like your friend is a jerk and its all his fault. if someone did that to me you better believe they would replace everything. tell him flash kits cost on avg 60 bucks and get an acekard RPG.

QUOTEJust get an Acekard 2 then. Simple as that.

There is no real R4 anymore. The only real ones would be used ones. Even DX's R4s won't be real.

realhotstuff has the REAL r4 instock now. i know because i just delt with a clone from them as did may others. what they are shipping is legit at this point, although it probably won't last long you know its old stock.

-another world

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Yea, I can't believe he doesn't replace evreything, none of it was your fault, returning what you borrow should be the case, not asking for your borrowed thing to be returned.

Anyway, better stay away from R4DS except you already got one, get CycloDS EVO instead, it'll last for the next few years, considering Ninty's hand isn't far enough to grab 'em

esoterica

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I may get the CycloDS, but I'm kind of worried my co-worker won't even get me back the DS. I don't work at the same place anymore, and we weren't really "friends"... we chatted at work and were friendly, but nothing beyond work. In that case, I would not be able to afford getting the CycloDS as well as another Nintendo DS. Well, I COULD but I've been spending way too much money recently.

How are the Acekards (2? RPG??) and the iTouch DS?

I could care less about SDHC or slo-mo. RTS is nice, but if it's $20 cheaper not to have that feature, I'm okay with that. Honestly, I thought the R4 was perfect for what I used it for, so if its as good as that was, then it's fine with me. I'd just really prefer not spending $50 for something I can get for $20-30 that does relatively the same thing.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
What is a co-worker?

On-topic: While R4 is perfect if you want to just pick-up and play, you might end up regret buying it now. R4 was good, and it was.

Reasons you gotta think about:
1)SDHC:
--- Yeah, you might think "I don't need too much space, too many games and I might be infected by piracy syndrome". The problem is, there's just too many good games out there, old and new, and 2GB really isn't enough for them, except you're more of a diligent worker and just want to have 5 minutes fun within lunch time, you better think about this

2)Compatibility:
--- You have to admit, R4 is good regarding compatibility. It's outdated, yet many games still work with it. While newer carts with better support needs weekly update to improve compatibility, but as the time flows, R4 will lose it's compatibility, save for the chance that R4 team might come back. Newer carts has better support, their compatibility keeps growing, and will beat R4 eventually. Even more, newer games these days usually neds to be patched manually to work in R4, thankfully, none of those new games that I took needs arm7.bin patch

3)Reliability;
--- R4 is famous, more than any flashcarts in the world. And as something bacomes more popular, clones of it wil appear, taking advantage of the popularity for easy-money. N5, R4-Advance, R4-Upgrade II, R4III, M3DSSimply is just an example of clones of R4s out there, not including fake R4s. And it's rumored that R4team will destroy those insurgents with it's next loader. Rather than risking yours, you'd be better end up with another flashcart, that promises you there will be no destructive loaders. Fakes trend to brick your DS, so beware

4)Capability:
--- You gotta admit, R4 is outdated in features department, department that newer carts proud of. True gamers doesn't need Real-Time Save, and many features are just absurd (for example, a guy a few months back, bragged his Cyclo to be able to play in black and white mode, for God's sake!). But you can't really resist if they do have good features, don't you? In-Game Guide is just an example of something that someone can use, and the number of those kind of features is really low. Taking a budget cart is just as good as taking expensive cart if you don't need advanced features, but think of it again, and maybe you won't regret thinking it over when you actually make a good use of the features

That's a helluva wall of text, think about it, and find the best car for you
smile.gif

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Meh, I think that EZflash V Plus, CycloDS, M3 Real Perfect Bundle, SuperCard, AceKard 2, iTouch DS, R6 Gold +Extreme are the cards worth talking about at this time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want...