the ps2

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by 4saken, May 15, 2007.

May 15, 2007

the ps2 by 4saken at 10:07 AM (1,833 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. 4saken
    OP

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Is now a good time to buy a ps2 and modchip it, or should I wait for a price drop in the ps3 and wait for that to be chipped? I'm enticed by all the good games on ps2 that I've missed out.

Also; if I want to connect my ps2 to my computer monitor (if it's possible), how do I do it, and is there a loss of quality, etc with this process (can I do this with a ps3 too?)

EDIT: Woops 1 last question. Where is a good place to buy mod-chips for Australia for the slimline model, and how much will a decent one cost me. I wouldn't need anything too fancy, just preferably full compatibility (I've never thought of this as a problem, but it could be as it is with the DS) and maybe a few cool features - all in one nice price [​IMG]

EDIT2: Also, can somebody run through how backups work. Is it as simple as burning a downloaded iso onto a dvd and inserting it like a retail game?

2. Farami9

Member Farami9 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well a PS2 mod for the silmline PS2 will cost around $140 AU ($120 - 140) that for a pretty good mod.

Also I think there is some DISC method thingy that works like a mod just using discs... ANYONE KNW?

Check your local papers for a listing OR I can recommend an AUS online dealer who will sell a new silm PS2 with a mod.... (not sure if I can recommend sites though????)

Do you have any other systems atm like a 360 or Wii? if not then I would suggest buying the PS2 and modding it...

I mean either way your wasting around $340 (PS2 silm $200) but you get to play the GAME NOW, I mean it is worth it... Waiting for the PS3 is probaly a good idea but then you will also have to wait for a Mod... If you have next gen sys atm the wait is easier...

Also the silm mods are cheap atm as silm PS2 are still very popular, if you wait the mods will soon be very cheap and same with the PS2..........

3. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    Well Sony are dropping out with the lack of interest in the ps3, so I'm hoping they will continue making good games for the ps2 for a while to come.

I didn't know a ps2 chip would cost so much [​IMG] I guess Wii owners have been spoiled by the price of WiiKeys, Cyclowiz, etc

Does anybody know:

1. A reliable and cheap online site for ps2slimline modchips
    2. The rest of the questions in my first post [​IMG]

Thanks

4. squirt1000

Banned squirt1000 Would rather have a cup of Tea!

United Kingdom
    Id go for a swap magic disk set if your only interested in playing backups mate. Mods are still expensive and some of the cheaper ones are known to cause the lens in the slim ps2 to burn out VERY quickly!! Ive been using a swap magic 3.6 in my slimline for about 18 months and all has been fine so far, Even with God of war 2 [​IMG]

5. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    What's a swap magic [​IMG]?

6. squirt1000

United Kingdom
    Its a swap disk that lets you run backups. Insert swap magic and load - take out and insert backup = Play [​IMG]

7. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I spent ages using the swap magic disc. Maybe it's because I got lazy but when I want to play a game I wante to put the disc in and that's it but it was only last month that I gained enough soldering tips to put in a Matrix Inifnity in my slimline and it's really awesome. Yeah, I know people are saying, "BUT YOU'LL BURN THE LASER". But I figured if I can fit a PS2 chip, I can have enough enough knowledge to get a replacement part. It does seem strange that a console that was released at the same time as the Dreamcast is still expensive.

8. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    So is there a slimline modchip that won't risk burning the laser? Or is burning the laser something that will happen if you don't install the chip perfectly?

Also my initial question! I need to be able to attach a ps2 to my LCD monitor (or PC) so I can have it in my room [​IMG]

9. Farami9

Member Farami9 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, you have to realise 2 things

1) The PS2 is STILL very popular
    2) The PS2 chips are not cheap drive chips (they are proper mods) with lost of functions

I'm pretty sure you can do that... check Ebay for an adaptor..

$140 includes installed which is probaly ($40 nett cost)

10. squirt1000

United Kingdom
    Some chips have a slim fix or something named very similar, Look out for that! And in answer to your LCD question you will need a VGA box that will take normal av inputs and convert them into a vga signal, Ebay is probably your friend there as they usually go for around £30 - £40 in the UK [​IMG]

11. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    Any keywords come to mind O_O?

12. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    Okay I solved the monitor problem - vga converter box or something will work.

My main concerning now is chipping the ps2

13. squirt1000

United Kingdom
  14. 4saken
    OP

Australia
  15. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    If you can put HD LOADER on the memory card you can run games from the harddrive. Its easier having the big ps2 to be able to do this. You then can install all original games to the harddrive of the ps2. It just involves you either renting or borrowing them.

16. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    On an off topic notice, how do I go about putting ELF files on my Slimline modded PS2? I want to try out the SMS media player

17. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I used the Swap Magic Disc. Cost me only $40 USD.
    On some sites, you can get the DSM4 EZ for only $75 USD. It is a solderless chip.
    The PS2 Slim is only $129 USD.

Is everything more expensive in Australia? Maybe you could import it from an American store?

18. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I heard somewhere that the solderless chip can increase the chances of making you PS2 defunct.

19. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    This solderless chip looks expensive, but does it work as well as a solder-solution? I don't really like the fuss of using swap disks. Can somebody please explain what they mean by burning the laser, and other defects?

Yea Australian ps2 slimline is around 200 AUD, roughly 175 USD. Since the Australian dollar is strong in the forex, I might choose to import - but then I'd have the hassle of power converters and voltage [​IMG]

20. squirt1000

United Kingdom
    You can get the slimline ps2 for £50 new in the UK atm if you know where to look [​IMG]