The PS2 Eclipse, a portable PlayStation 2, appears online

E8DdSOlVEAA3V5m.jpg

GingerOfOz, a hacker known for creating portable consoles, has released a video detailing his newest project, the PS2 Eclipse, a portable PlayStation 2 console. It is a fully-featured, 3D printed console that has a battery life of roughly two and a half hours. The Eclipse runs off of a real PS2 motherboard, though drastically trimmed down, so the games are running on original hardware, avoiding the slowdowns and imperfections of emulation. It doesn't support discs, however, as the disc drive would be too large and bulky to reasonably attach to a handheld. Instead, attached to the motherboard are the internals of a PS2 memory card running Free McBoot, a homebrew application that allows your PS2 to run backups and homebrew off of a USB drive.

This does lead to some issues, however. Since the PS2 uses USB 1.1, the load times can be considerable, closing in on an minute for some titles, according to GingerOfOz's video, Another known issue is that the PS2 will not recognize the controller on "quite a few games," rendering them unplayable, though GingerOfOz seems confident these issues can be addressed through software fixes. While there's no compatibility list available, he says that if a landmark PS2 title isn't shown running in the video, it's likely because it wouldn't run. (For reference, some of the titles shown running on the Eclipse include the Super Monkey Ball games, the Grand Theft Auto trilogy, Persona 3 and 4, Kingdom Hearts, Katamari Damacy and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence.)

GingerOfOz will not be selling the Eclipse on commission as he has for his other handhelds in the past; however, he is encouraging users to create their own. His video gives an overview of the process and his website points to some extra resources, and will reportedly be updated with more details in the future.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
ITT: People who still don't know, or care to know why projects like this exist.

I think it's pretty cool.. Minus the controller issue. I always love seeing people take real console hardware and condense it as far as they can. Makes for an interesting watch, or read.

Reactions: Tarmfot and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
ITT: People who still don't know, or care to know why projects like this exist.

I think it's pretty cool.. Minus the controller issue. I always love seeing people take real console hardware and condense it as far as they can. Makes for an interesting watch, or read.
I dig repurposed original hardware as much as the next guy, but once you get rid of the disc drive, that's the point when I'd say you're just as well off emulating.

I also wonder if this is as far as the concept can be taken for Playstation consoles, since PS3 would no doubt have heat issues in a portable form factor.

Reactions: AlexMCS and Kioku

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you guys realize this is never getting released to the public right? it's just to show off. sony will have his ass if he ever tries to sell them.

NelGibs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love ps2. The quality games are high in numbers, will be my go to system for the next decade. OPL with USB is picky, defragmented game files will not boot or stuck. Defragmenting them take a long time. In my case, two deframented games take 6 hours or more to defrag on i3 9100f pc (usb is external usb 3.0 2.5" 5400rpm hdd). I add and delete games regularly, so maybe this is the cause of defragmentation.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I dig repurposed original hardware as much as the next guy, but once you get rid of the disc drive, that's the point when I'd say you're just as well off emulating.
I don't think changing the software medium has a major impact on the overall experience if you're still using original hardware. It's not really that different to using a flash cart.

Reactions: Kioku

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
UnIess they're making a DIY kit, or mass-producing these, I could hardly care less.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't get this boner with portable devices, if I'm not at home I have stuff to do other than playing video games, and if I'm at home I don't want to play on a tiny ass screen :lol:
Some of us don't like being tied to a living room TV.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free