the price of piracy?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by adzix, Apr 4, 2009.

Apr 4, 2009

the price of piracy? by adzix at 12:20 PM (2,587 Views / 0 Likes) 27 replies

1. adzix
    OP

Member adzix GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    have you ever felt completely bored with gaming, even though you've got a ton of brand-new, highly rated games on your harddrive, waiting to be burned/flashed/mounted?

i get this feeling, during the last years more and more often, with every console i own.
    sure, it's got to do with my age, too. being 31 now, i am gaming for about 24 years now.
    so you've seen all the basics, it's getting a little harder to feel impressed with every new game you've seen...

but what's a much bigger issue imo is the easy access to thousands of games i have for years now.
    how can you actually enjoy playing say... MadWorld, when at the same time 10 new "must-haves" for the DS are getting released,
    and the pile of PS2 RPG gems is already higher than my room ceiling...

so what to do?
    it's good to cut down once in a while, not getting every game helpsĀ“a lot obviously.
    lately i find myself purchasing games again, and the feeling is definitely different.
    if you spend money on a game, you'll actually want to invest some time in it.
    time that the game might need to grow on you.
    ( same goes for music, i am sick and tired of mp3s when i can actually enjoy original artwork, read the lyrics or whatever. )

mind you, i am not saying that piracy is a bad thing per se. that would be pretty stupid considering the insane ammount of games i downloaded over the years.
    but i think if it gets too easy to play just anything you want, you'll lose the fun. it's like being that rich, spoiled brat that can have anything.

this winter for example, i decided to finally finish metroid prime for wii.
    to get me doing so, i took all my other gaming stuff and put it in another room where i wouldnt get tempted so easily, not allowing myself to touch another game 'til i finish this sucker [​IMG]
    and damn, it was the most fun i had with a game in months...

how do you guys feel about that?

2. david432111

Member david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    I have the exact same feeling, when you have almost every game available to you it's just not the same.
    You put time in to even the baddest titles if you bought it. Good games get forgotten behind layers of other games.

3. adzix
    OP

Member adzix GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    exactly.
    why else do have so fond memories of old-school games?
    in the late 80s i would get a new master system game maybe once every 2-3 months.
    so of course i played the hell outta it and so these games will be burned in my memory forever [​IMG]

(plus there were a bunch of awesome games, of course, it's not like nostalgica and time investment are the only aspects of how good a game is [​IMG] )

4. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i find that even when i buy games i still don't have time to play them, it makes no difference, i have over 500 legit games so i still don't have time to play them all.

5. Captin

Newcomer Captin Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I dont feel it. I download all sorts, very heavy downloader. But I dont feel like I've had anything I would pay for in the last 10 years. To be fair I am not a game player really, It's more music and films. Looking at pictures and lyrics dont henhance the music enough for me to shell out money. As for quality I dont download MP3's I download FLAC files so they are as good as the original CD's.

Most of the films I watch are not worth spending anything on or even going to the pictures to see.

Maybe being 45 does spoil it as most of the films comming out are re-releases or prequals, and nothing beats the original films, not even when there's better special effects.

I remember pirating my first NES game cart, and I've never looked back since.

6. cardyology

Member cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I think the 3rd wave thingy on new xbox 360 gaems should help me slow down & appreciate things a bit more. Not gonna flash it for a bit so i wont be able to get EVERY new release.

Its the usual "syndrome" associated with having everything.

You sit on the internet, staring at google - you have everything you've ever wanted to know at your fingertips & you end up on 4chan.
    You sign up for usenet, install grabit, log onto A.B.Movies.divx and end up downlaoding terminator 2 & predator.

You download 5 new xbox 360 games, burn them all to DL dvd's & then sit infront of your console wondering which to play untill you finally give up & stick COD 4 in there.

Its the "have evrything for free" syndrome.

7. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    ahh the piracy blues. the small price u gotta pay for the amount of money u save [​IMG]

8. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have a game schedule that I make for games I get that I know I want to play. I dont allow myself to play any other game in that timeslot, until the one I want is finished. Many times I wont download a game right when it comes out, so I'm not tempted to stop playing the game I am already enjoying. Haven't got Riddick yet, even though I've been waiting for a while cause Wheelman was the game of last week, and Guitar Hero Metallica is the game for this week. Granted I hve a life so a week is abot what it takes for me to finish and fully enjoy a game but it's not like if I finish early I can't start a new game.

9. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Gaming ADD. I know quite a few people that have that but I am still finishing every good game i want to on the DS. Unfortunately, when I am finished with a game, I rarely play it again.

10. Diosoth

Member Diosoth GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I used to think this, but now... I've just come to the conclusion that many of these games aren't very good. You WANT to like something you paid $30-$50 for. That desire to hype it in your mind isn't there when you got it for free. It allows freedom to criticize the game for the borefest it really is, and you can finally just admit "this game isn't very good, now that I think about it".

11. pizzaman2893

Member pizzaman2893 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah i agree completely. When you get games for free you tend to not enjoy them as much. Or thats how I feel at least

12. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    I find I have more of a tendency to finish a game when i pirate it. simply because I can actually keep the games organised and keep a single folder on my flashcard of a few games I am currently playing.
    in my PS1 days i had hundreds of legit games, I never finished a single one, because they were always all there staring at me, and because I had paid for them I felt I had to get my moneys worth out of all of them.

13. hdofu

Member hdofu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The problem is that all systems that get out of infancy get to the stage I call "the trash bin" phase where every developer puts out as much garbage as they can manage using licensed characters and movies when available to get more people interested. Garfield games are a good example, he is the game developer's equivalent of a white flag.

14. IchigoK2031

Member IchigoK2031 Wannabe Shirow Miwa...

United States
    Here is my piracy policy:

I download alot of games, but lets face it sometimes a game u download and expect it to be good...well just isn't up to snuff. But within the many games I download, then delete because they are flat out just bad, I've encountered a few gems, like the World Ends with You from Square-Enix. I am a heavy RPG player, and therefore, in general a square-enix fan, but some games don't appeal to me. So all in all games I've downloaded and tried, if they're good its a buy, it might never be opened but I buy it to support the developers and keep them going, this is unless the game isn't stateside, if it is coming stateside I will buy it, however if it isn't, I will try to import it if I have the money. Otherwise bad games get deleted.

15. yozyoz

Newcomer yozyoz Member

Canada
    i'm pretty there's a lot of people who feel the same way,

didn't people call this the piracy syndrome? haha

I also feel this way, I tend to get bored extremely easily even though the game is brand new. Sometime I make an "effort"(if we can call that an effort lol) to finish the game, I try to appreciate it even though I got it for free.

my tip would be to choose your game wisely and not download all the new ones just for "fun" like many people do :[

16. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Agreed. If I actually sink hard earned money into the game I feel I need to make the most of it. When I pirate a game it needs to be really good to keep my attention for long. I have alot of roms and ISOs sitting on my hard drive begging to be finished but probably never will My back catalog keeps growing because its so easy to just download the newest games. *sigh* oh well at least there free.

17. frantier123

Member frantier123 GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    Feel the same way too.

Sometimes, there are just tons of good titles for u to get your hands on, but you don't know which to start, and in the end, u have the "dun feel like playing" feeling.

18. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I get that a lot, but for me it's either download games or don't play them at all. (Can't afford it)

19. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    I have at least 900 games to go through, and that's DS alone.
    Including shovelware, but I won't be playing those.

20. Hillsy_

Member Hillsy_ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom

You are not a gamer, true.

I may get 'shot down' here but... a true gamer buys at least some games, a person who pirates all/everything game related isn't a gamer. Same rule applies to films.