1. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    right, after leaf green and fire red, but not before. Which is where we're at now. So, give them a few years and it'll probably be the same situation. There is DLC, after all, and they're probably planning free dlc or something to add the models. Or just push for the new games. Who knows.

They've been fairly consistent in how they do things, so I'm pretty surprised people are surprised. Though I understand the disappointment.

I googled it and:
    catchable in ruby/sapphire from the get-go:
    Total: 181/386

sword/shield:
    ...well, 400 officially, but I think there are some in the code not in the game, but not all? I'm not sure. Can't find a resource.

I wouldn't call 1-3 years later as "immediately" . I can't remember if you could trade everything using Colosseum, but couldn't you say it's a bit much to require an additional console, additional game, plus cables, in order to play with pokemon already on the game? :P Remember we live in an age of DLC and expansion packs. Come back in 2 years and hopefully they'll have given a lot of fans what they're wanting. If they haven't done anything by then, feel free to be annoyed at the "new" thing they're doing. until then, it's business as usual for Game Freak. Personally, I'm hoping they bother to take more risk with pokemon, though with this blow-back, they may try and go safer with the next one.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Ryccardo likes this.
  2. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Mexico
    Masuda stated they won't add the missing Pokémon, and that no any other Pokémon game will feature the full dex. Of course, they could change their mind, but who knows at this point.

Quote from a Masuda interview:

“We currently don’t have plans to make the Pokémon that are missing from the Galar Pokédex available in the game,” Masuda said. “This is an approach that we want to continue with in future Pokémon games. Up until now it hasn’t been possible to encounter every Pokemon in every game, so people had to transfer them from old games to the new game, by using Pokémon Bank as an example.”

Not sure about the last part, but it's a fact you can't transfer Pokémon if the data isn't there to begin with. Maybe he chose a bad way to word things out, and will actually patch missing Pokémon data once a new game is released that contains the Pokémon?

TCJJ, Deleted-236924 and osaka35 like this.
  3. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    it won't happen up until it does :P Nintendo is good like that. But it does suck we don't get them immediately. But it's also nice to enjoy new pokemon without just rebuilding an old team (which is why they do this). It'll be interesting to see how they do things from now on. Wouldn't it be interesting if there were like, 100 pokemon different from the two games? :P

But back on topic, I wonder if they blame the leaks for the blow-back, or if there's something else going on. I mean, the games are selling fine.

Deleted-236924 likes this.
  4. Master X

Master X GBAtemp Regular

United States
    On paper they did, but their are mitigating circumstances given the era they released in. Specifically, the difficulty with transferring pokemon cross gen and the game technically not having a established history of cross-gen (More specifically, cross-hardware) trading.

First one is simple - You couldn't do it with a single hand held. You had to have multiple. 2nd, despite R/B/G/Y and G/S being classified as two separate generations, they were cross compatible with each others hardware. On paper it would be cross gen trading because hey, gen 1 and gen 2, but hardware wise both games could be considered 1st gen games. This is also why it was possible to trade between R/S/E and FR/LG - They were both, not just third gen games, but cross compatible hardware wise and additionally they were both running on very similar game engines.

The DS era had its own caveats that allowed for crossgen transfers as well - The DS/DSL being backwards compatible with GBA games. Rather than being required to use two seperate consoles to do cross-gen transfers, it could now be done on one console. Not sure on specifics for HG/SS and BW/BW2, though I think that cross-gen trading was limited by that point since you'd have to have a OG or lite DS to do 3rd gen transfers.

And come 6th gen games on the 3ds, with cross gen transfers being partially pay-walled... And then cross-gen transfers being effectively killed the next. So much for 'you'll now be able to easily trade ANY of your pokemon'.

Basically, the reason people are so pissed off about it? Nintendo sold Bank as a way to greatly simplify cross-gen transfers when it'd previously been difficult on account of hardware limitations. This was supposed to remove hardware from the equation all together. And then come the Switch, they effectively killed cross-gen transfers.

TCJJ, osaka35 and Deleted-236924 like this.
  5. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

United States
    So basically they're mad they might have lost sales when people saw how shit the games looked pre-release?

TCJJ and DarthDub like this.
  6. Something whatever

Something whatever Gazer of the East

United States
    irreparable damages?....irreparable damage?....irreparable damages?! When has leaks made a game flop???

felix.200 and TCJJ like this.
  7. bobmcjr

bobmcjr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yep, your work never ever becomes public domain because you forgot to DMCA/C&D someone. Each part of the unholy IP trinity is very legally distinct. Heck, trademarks aren't even in the Constitution. You also aren't allowed to C&D someone using the DMCA specifically for a trademark or patent infringement case. You may still C&D as long as you don't claim it's a DMCA takedown.

Regarding the trade secret claim, I'd argue it's similar to Apple trying to claim that the "poem" needed to boot macOS was a trade secret, and to hold it as precedent to throw this case out. The gist of the Apple case was that something cannot be a trade secret if you make it readily available to the general public in your products, and I would 100% consider retailers (presumably that's where this precious guide came), or consumers who received it early from a retailer or something, as the general public.

Ryccardo, TCJJ and Subtle Demise like this.
  8. grey72

grey72 #72

Antarctica
    Slowly but surely, TPC is going Disney

felix.200, TCJJ and Subtle Demise like this.
  9. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Over leaked pics? something tells me that just a scapegoat excuse for the media.
    I believe they are pissed off b/c we can hack their shit and they cant do damn thing about it. Suing ppl is the only way they can sleep peacefully.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    TCJJ likes this.
  10. olembet

olembet Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    well deserved idiot reviewer leaker

KingBlank likes this.
  11. Paid DLC, you're giving them way too much credit. It'll be full-price game re-releases at best.

As opposed to needing Red/Blue + Gold/Silver + Ruby/Sapphire if transferring from Gen. 2 was allowed? ;)

(Note that Lugia and Ho-Oh were not required for National dex completion in Gen. 3, and if someone wanted to argue that we should count event-only Pokémon, you can get those in FR/LG/E via Navel Rock.)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2019
    TCJJ likes this.
  12. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Fan

United States
    When I first read "images" I thought it meant cartridge dumps. That would be quite understandable.

...Strategy guide? Really? Do people even use those anymore? :rofl2: Sure it gives away some spoilers, but that hardly seems like "irreparable damages" or something you could quantify.

13. graeme122

graeme122 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Yeah, mine too but let me continue to buy their games and keep my nose well up their arse.

14. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

United States
    Can someone find a way to sue them for lying to people multiple times in press releases and videos, in multiple languages?

I would certainly join a class action law suit to teach them a lesson. Don’t be cheap, hire more employees, don’t lie to gamers and stop the yearly releases!

TCJJ and Subtle Demise like this.
  15. Taffy

Taffy jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr

United States
    gamefreak pls

you're causing irreversible damage not the fans

TCJJ, Subtle Demise, DarthDub and 2 others like this.
  16. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Togo
    They half assed the game and they're the ones pissed that people are exposing it.

TCJJ, Subtle Demise, DarthDub and 2 others like this.
  17. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

funny this reads more like "we want to punish the people who exposed our scam to our marks" if they are arguing simply disclosing the shortcomings of the game caused irreparable damage, its basically admitting they intended to pull a fast one on their users and are pissed some people decided not to buy the game based on true info

TCJJ, Subtle Demise, gameboy and 3 others like this.
  18. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Poland
    Who the fuck? I think they should be sued for releasing this buggy abomination!

TCJJ, Subtle Demise and DarthDub like this.
  19. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Best launch of a Nintendo Switch game.
    Best U.S. launch of a main series Pokémon title.
    6 million copies sold within the opening weekend.

Yeah, that's a lot of damage done there.

20. ninjistix

ninjistix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    honestly leaks can hype a game up, unless the games actual shit, they just butt-hurt because people spread the truth before fans got disappointed from buying the actual game, its not like the sales are doing bad, i think this is gonna rub some hard core fans the wrong way, by the looks of this thread so far.

TCJJ and Subtle Demise like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Pokemon, Company, lawsuit