The PlayStation Classic relies on the open source PS1 emulator PCSX ReARMed to play its games

VTUZpMa.png

Classic and mini versions of retro game systems have become popular to release onto the market, including the recently announced PlayStation Classic. With a very basic UI, and the chosen lineup of 20 games, many fans were disappointed and claimed that Sony's attempt at a plug and play throwback console was low effort. Complaints only furthered when it was revealed that Sony wasn't creating or reusing their own PlayStation 1 emulator for the Classic, like they had done with the PSP's POPS emulator, or with the PSP emulator that was found within the PlayStation 4 remaster of Parappa, or the emulated PlayStation 2 classic titles on the PlayStation 4 as well. Instead, Sony has opted use an emulator made by the public: PCSX ReARMed. At an event showing off the upcoming hardware, previewers were able to try out the PlayStation Classic, and found a menu listing stating that it uses open-source software, including PCSX ReARMed.

:arrow: Source

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
kek.

As I've said since they announced this and showed off the meh game list, it's really a useless product. You're infinitely better off just buying a PSTV and using Henkaku for cheaper than this thing, you get nearly every PS1 and PSP game with it, and virtually every Vita game that doesn't require specific touch controls for usually cheaper than this.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, not only did they steal every one of Nintendo's ideas up to this point, they wholesale stole open source work to make a commercial product.

Is it any wonder, that i have such an axe to grind with Sony when they continue to be financially successful in spite of doing such blatantly unethical shit like this?

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or buy an OrangePi, maybe? I'm actually curious what the cheapest SBC that'd run all the games at 60fps. I don't think most of the H3 based OrangePis qualify, but I've not seen good testing done on most SBCs to verify such a thing.

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disappointing lineup, and they didn't even bother to use their own emulator. Anyone remember Bleem? Sony is against emulation of their games, yet use an emulator created by the public for their "new" console...GG Sony.

Edit: The best part is ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS a piece for the PS Classic. Great for business, just a shitty way of doing it.

Last edited by Illuminaticy,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's stolen? The license to the emulator must permit commercial applications, or else Sony wouldn't be using it. Big multinational companies are more likely to follow a license than some pirate flashcard/modchip manufacturer in China. They wouldn't risk the liability, especially on a product that's bound to be popular.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
So, not only did they steal every one of Nintendo's ideas up to this point, they wholesale stole open source work to make a commercial product.
"stole"

:rolleyes:

They didn't steal anything. A), Nintendo didn't come up with "Classic consoles", that goes to Atari with all their various plug n play Atari flashbacks which goes back to like 2004.

B) PCSX-ReARMed is licensed under GNU GPL. So long as they publicly display the license (which they did) and don't modify the source without disclosing it (which they didn't need to do), they didn't "steal" shit.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Big multinational companies are more likely to follow a license than some pirate flashcard/modchip manufacturer in China.

Ignoring (allegedly) Apple of course. Also, it's hardly a China-only thing. Retro-Bit and others have used snes9x, genesis plus gx, and older versions of mame which have decidedly non-commercial licenses. I'd say it's more luck on Sony's part that PCSX is GPLv2 vs something else given a lot of emulators around the time were originally non-commercial open source or proprietary precisely because they foresaw companies who made games for a system using their hard work without any sort of compensation. So long as Sony abides by the GPLv2 and releases the source code in some fashion*, I'm happy.

* AFAIK, it's not enough to simply point at the homepage of a project (which makes sense): you're responsible for distributing the source code you used, not someone else. It also helps because even if you made no changes, not having a specific version means users don't really know what's being ran. Having said that, listing the specific version and the build options would at least hypothetical be enough to recreate what's included. Not that I imagine Sony is going to make it easy to replace it with later versions or more optimized builds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/