The PlayStation 4 reaches 102.8 million sales, becomes second best-selling home console of all time

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Oakmontowls

Oakmontowls Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2016
    United States
    Poor Microsoft not even being on the list.

2. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    PS4 2013 PS5 2020 stop living in the past mate technology needs to move along

Wiki'd likes this.
  3. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2019
    United States
    Damn congrats Sony
    If Nintendo and Microsoft hadn't fucked up this gen I wouldn't be saying that now bur ehh whatever
    Now I'll just eat my popcorn and watch the Switch surpass ps2 sales
    I'll also contribute to the console reaching the goal

4. StupidGamer1

StupidGamer1 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 30, 2010
    United States
    the fanboy circle jerk in here is pure cringe. all modern consoles suxorz.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    My my we are acerbic this evening.

Anyway I am not sure what limitations the devs are facing from the hardware, or devs less inclined to optimise the shit out things* will be gaining. Going back to the PS360 then while they could have stretched things out a bit further, to say nothing of vista and thus directx10's failure to do much also serving to keep the bar low, the memory (way south of a gig on each of the consoles), possibly the storage (though I have yet to see the 90+ gigs of some modern games properly justified) and the PC finally progressing a bit more.

*through many years of study and fiddling I reckon I can make the GBA absolutely sing. Any kid with a copy of RPG maker and a decent idea will probably trounce me in terms of time taken to get a decent end result, even if said result has no hope of running as or with minimal fiddling on a GBA. This sort of thing applies time and time again on consoles as well, this is also something I like -- most times, especially nowadays, the newest COD, need for speed and whatever else are utterly forgettable as the big pubs sinking something that could plausibly be in the billions** at this point chase the maximum return and thus lowest common denominator, where the smaller devs are the ones producing the cool stuff (or were at least as I am not sure where they are at these days).

**typically we look at each game as its own release but do you imagine for a moment that devs don't see a multi company billion + investment in an engine and franchise with each annual game release just being an annual return on said investment?

To that end I would ask just because we can redo the tech does it mean we should? Is modern hardware able to pump that many more polygon calculations or render what was once a master shader's year long effort as a simple function in unreal engine or something? Will it suddenly allow either far larger worlds (without procedural generation or equivalent) or that much more vibrant ones, or indeed allow the classic 5 person studio somewhere to make something that competes with the likes of Skyrim (or competes in terms of look and feel but probably messed up populating the world or writing an interesting story)?

Ryccardo likes this.
  6. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    I'm sorry your parents are poor.

7. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 28, 2015
    No technology doesnt need moving along.

Youll find you end up buying a ps5 and have devs release games that are not much better than they are now.

But you'll also be paying more just because its next gen.

We do not need a next gen when current hardware hasnt even been pushed to its limits.

Maybe stop been a sheep and screaming take my money.

Its got nothing to do with when the ps4 was released and when the ps5 is coming.

Ryccardo likes this.
  8. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Ring naughty dog

9. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    The current gen is singlehandedly stunting any real traction for ray tracing being a thing. It's well documented that if the consoles are that deficient, a lot of the big budget publishers *will not* invest to go past that.

So even those devout on pc need the consoles to actually be at least somewhat more capable than they currently are.

10. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 28, 2015
    i doubt even tlou is breaking the ps4, if optimized properly it could run nice and smooth, the ps5 version would end up just been like tlou 1, very little difference.

like most ps5 games will be for a while, look at how little difference there was with the ps4/ps3 until now we are starting to see some amazing looking games.

where as before, devs ported the same old engines or used unity and its games didnt look that much different.

all i know is i wont be rushing into buying any next gen console, ps5 issues i need confirming first is first its internal ssd size and if its going to support additional hdd support, storage for next gen i bet is going to be retarded.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

naa, just because sony say about a new feature, its only going to be used by those devs that chose to use it.

that doesnt justify releasing a new system, when no one has pushed the current systems to its limits.

so you'd agree paying £300+ for a new console to have almost identical ports that the PS4 has, just because it has this tracing bs and new rumble feedback, and an added £10 likely increase per game because its "next gen".

the only advantage i see in both releasing a next gen system is to push nintendo even further behind and as usual devs move to the better systems thus nintendo left with nothing but more old ports from the ps3/360 generation.

11. Treeko

Treeko GBAtemp Fan

Sep 29, 2012
    Umm, I don't know about you but most games releasing now a days are completely hammering out as much performance as possible from the base PS4 and Xbone, and those consoles are struggling to hold optimal performance in said games, its a widely known fact that the PS4 and xbone have the worst cpu jump between generations, heck the ps3 cell cpu out performs the cpu cores on the ps4 in certain instances, consoles act as the baseline for triple A games, without good enough performance do you expect developers to stick around on a inferior system in terms of hardware capabilities, this is exactly what's held Nintendo back all these years because apparently having innovative ideas with strong hardware means you're doing it wrong, there's a reason why Sony has dominated this generation, to keep their momentum going next gen needs to happen, with the invention of newer technology the PS4 hardware will just not cut it for future project with said technology for game development.

Wiki'd likes this.
  12. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    :rofl2:

13. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Still better than the Xboned :lol:

14. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2019
    United States
    Damn Straight. Hope Microsoft actually gets their shit together next gen LMAO

15. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Yes, it's called a gaming PC :creep:

16. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2019
    United States
    Yeah but even windows has gone to shit. And Microsoft refuses to make a new windows os and makes it a "software as a service"... Linux here I come!

17. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp Regular

Mar 27, 2019
    Brazil
    Rio Grande do Sul
    yeah
    99% of the cool kids choose the PS4 to play fortnite.
    because...
    idk

18. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Uh huh. Suuuuuuuuuure. Good luck with that. :lol:

19. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2019
    United States
    Lol you know linux is much better
    The only con it has is less compatibility and apps but besides that it's much better
    2 years from now most people will be using or at least have heard of Linux

20. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Windows 10 works fine for me *shrug*