The Penguin Bar to stop serving torrents

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Torrent or Torrent magnet are the same thing.

One has a tracker information and file hash, and the other is only the file's hash.
But they are used to download the exact same data.
It's like emule download file, it's only hash to the real file.

If they were accused to "facilitate" (not provide) illegal file sharing by providing hash of the illegal files, then I don't see what's different with magnet links.

Their only benefit is that they will only stop their trackers which might cost a lot in bandwidth traffic.

Helpful Corn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering about that, can you select individual files to download in a magnet? Full sets normally have much better seeding than individual albums/seasons.

jing90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
it doesn't change much, it will be just a little slower to download

anyway the bay is blocked here in italy since 12 feb 2010...

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hm, I tried opening a magnet link in Transmission Remote GUI but it didn't show the files in the torrent :/
Magnet links should work in Transmission (using 2.42 (13013) and they load fine).

I was wondering about that, can you select individual files to download in a magnet? Full sets normally have much better seeding than individual albums/seasons.
Basically they work in the same way as .torrent files, but you have to let the program download the original data of the .torrent (via magnet) and then you can select individual files to not be downloaded. In other words, what Cyan said.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
how come when i mention the penguin bar my post gets edited yet a whole thread about it is allowed to exist? :creep:

and yes i actually call it the penguin bar :P

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Eh, I've always used magnet links since they were introduced, so this'll just be easier for me. :lol:
Same :P Haven't downloaded a single torrent since they introduced magnet links.
And for people scared to use torrents, sure "cops"? hunt's people who download !ILLEGAL! torrents... barely, the people they always focus on is the uploader/creator of the torrent.

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is cool and also annoying. I mostly use magnet links but when I want to get a specific file within a torrent, or view the files in a torrent, direct downloads are much more useful. Sometimes with magnet links the file list can take an annoyingly long time to come through.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol Syl +1