OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
upload_2018-8-29_20-45-13.png

Valve just released an update on 21 August for Half-Life. Not Half-Life 2, the original, now 20-year old game. Is it anything big, you might ask? Well... no, not really. Just a short list of minor bug fixes.
Here is the changelog:
Changelog said:
A small update for Half-Life is now available:

Engine
  • Fixed bug in skybox image loading
  • Fixed bug in demo command processing
  • Prevent certain path characters from being used in commands
  • Enforce certain extensions be used for files specified in some commands
Are you excited for this update? What do you think?

:arrow: GoldSource

JellyPerson

https://discord.gg/BMVma8j
Banned
Trophies
Website
https.htp
XP
Country
Korea, North

Valve just released an update on 21 August for Half-Life. Not Half-Life 2, the original, now 20-year old game. Is it anything big, you might ask? Well... no, not really. Just a short list of minor bug fixes.
Here is the changelog:

eta wen half life 3

Reactions: Subtle Demise

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Reactions: CallmeBerto

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
after so many years, there is only one reason companies update such old games.
tell me, what copyrighted music or other resources did they removed so they don't have to pay for licenses?

why i am saying this:
plenty of games, specially the gta franchise, after so many years gets a surprise update, where they remove music because they lost the rights to sell it.
so i am suspecting that there is an actual reason valve cared to update the game after so long

Last edited by migles,
Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
tell me, what copyrighted music or other resources did they removed so they don't have to pay for licenses?

why i am saying this:
plenty of games, specially the gta franchise, after so many years gets a surprise update, where they remove music because they lost the rights to sell it.
I'm pretty sure Half-Life's OST is all original.

D

Deleted User

Holy shit. Valve is actually STILL caring about the games they've made? Perhaps this could be foreshadowing something big...?

Nah. Probably not.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

why i am saying this:
so i am suspecting that there is an actual reason valve cared to update the game after so long

Normally that would probably be the case.

Here though "Prevent certain path characters from being used in commands and Enforce certain extensions be used for files specified in some commands" says security update to me, the other two are minor fixes they might have had in the pipeline. Arbitrary characters and files could see extensions or scripts fish out files from the target computer, and if it is an old game chances are it is running admin/UAC mode as well. I remember having a conversation about something similar with a ROM and an emulator once and called it a "movie plot threat"... while this is subtly different it is not so far off.

Reactions: migles

schrmh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
In these days it's easy to push updates and since they are still selling it is they should push bugfixes anyways.

What does that "certain pathes" thing mean? I never played the game but I guess there must be some kind of terminal to enter commands at some point? What paths aren't useable anymore and what were possible when they still were? Damaging outside-game stuff?

Last edited by schrmh,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would they bother with a 20 yer old game? It always puzzles me when developers release updates for otherwise dead games/consoles. Like I get it. There’s bugs. There will always be bugs. Why bother?

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would they bother with a 20 yer old game? It always puzzles me when developers release updates for otherwise dead games/consoles. Like I get it. There’s bugs. There will always be bugs. Why bother?
I'm pretty sure it's a department thing. If you don't do enough, you don't get the funding. Or it could be a punishment/parole thing. Or seeing what the new interns can do. Once a company gets big enough, it's not about what you should do anymore, it's what you can do.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
To show that they care (= reputation shaping)?

I bet those bugs were easy to fix too (once found!)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure it's a department thing. If you don't do enough, you don't get the funding. Or it could be a punishment/parole thing. Or seeing what the new interns can do. Once a company gets big enough, it's not about what you should do anymore, it's what you can do.
So basically, they fix it just because they can? I feel like they could still put those resources to better use. That’s like if Microsoft just pushed an update for Windows 95.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Here is the changelog:

Does this fix something with steamplay on Linux?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
"What do the fans want after all these years? Well today we will finally deliver! Here's that Half-Life update that you have all been waiting so long for!" - Stoners at Value

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16