The Official Discussion Thread of Riz Zoawd

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by JPdensetsu, Dec 25, 2008.

Dec 25, 2008
  1. JPdensetsu
    OP

Member JPdensetsu GBAtemp Addict

Taiwan
    So... Since 2 hours ago Riz Zoawd is dumped. Do you think It will be a good RPG? Is it worth to play/buy ? Discuss here: A few screenshots: (DS-Scene)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. GreatFox

Newcomer GreatFox Member

Finland
    Yet again, (J) RPG.

Dunno 'bout that one, looks pretty generic. Only thing that made me wonder is usage os two screens. Second screenshot shows same characret in different places.

3. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    those are 5 different screenshots.
    only the 1st shows the bottom screen.

the bottom screen on the maps is used for movement, by rolling the displayed "scroll ball" with your stylus.

4. Zane

Member Zane Ace Wizard

Sweden
    Seems interesting enough, not everyday you get an RPG made from Wizard of Oz lol. We need an Alice in the Wonderland RPG next.

5. GreatFox

Newcomer GreatFox Member

Finland
    Well that was a surprise. Usually screenshots include both screens, especially if those are from DS-Scene.

6. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    According to Japanese reviewers, its suppose to be a pretty average game which is what I kinda expected. Of course saying that reviewers tend to be wrong.

7. fateastray

Member fateastray GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I like how it's in a 3rd person perspective and NOT topdown. Developers should put all possible resources to a use, when designing a game, and it looks like developers are picking up. Enough with the semi-passable 2D graphics, with the argument "The DS can't handle pretty 3D". Bullcrap! Plenty of games show the DS can handle perfectly good 3D. And games like these show it. The DS looks better than a N64, which had all 3D games. (pretty much).

Back to topic! Although it looks great, First Person Battles? And Stylus controls with a ball? It's a useless gimmick and has nothing to with the Wizard of Oz story? I don't like my RPG's with touch screen control. I don't like my RPG's in Japanese either. >_

8. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    My submission topic was destroyed along with my impressions, so I might as well post some of them here:

Most gorgeous 3D DS game if I'm not mistaken. I've never seen as much of a focus on detail as here. Environments are just spectacular. Words cannot describe this game. You MUST see it in action:

It looks much better in game. This game will truly make you a believer in the DS' ability to do good 3D. The way they handled the detail was by making a short draw distance though. Environment objects sometimes pop into view from a relative short distance away. It's smooth popup though as objects fade into and out of view with a transparent effect. Many PS1 and Saturn games did this as well, but the graphics here really impress. And I like the over-the-shoulder view employed here. I'm a little tired of the overuse of top-views in many DS RPG's.

The sound fits the mood. It's fun to listen to and works well to drive the game, but it's nothing too special. I like how the title screen teases you with a very short sound byte from the 1939 film. Other than that, I can't really hear any other music from the film.

Gameplay is pretty standard. Walk around, fight enemies, rinse and repeat. The field I explored seems linear. You literally follow the yellow brick road and can't seem to go off the road. A shame, but it might change later in the game. I played through the initial part, walking along the yellow brick road. Along the way, you meet the Scarecrow, Lion, and Tin Woodsman. When you meet them, they fight you. I assume they're testing you or something. If you win, they join you. I made it to the Emerald City and the Wizard, which is funny since it's at the beginning, instead of nearer the end like the movie.

Battles take place in the 1st person perspective like Dragon Quest. It's a little disappointing due to the 1st person. I love Dragon Quest, but after seeing the rest of this game, the battles look a bit bland. But the combat system is slightly different:

In battle, you can make a total of 4 moves per turn. And any character can be used for each of those moves. Here's some examples:

Single round:
    - Dorothy
    - Lion
    - Scarecrow
    - Tinman

Single round:
    - Dorothy
    - Dorothy
    - Dorothy
    - Dorothy

Single round:
    - Tinman
    - Lion
    - Lion
    - Scarecrow

So as you can see, in the 4 moves per round, you can allocate a move to any character. You can even set a single character to use all 4 moves in the turn. There is a certain strategic part to this too though. Whichever characters you set to perform during the round will also be the ones to take damage from the enemies. If you chose to use the Lion 4 times at once, he'll be the sole target of attack. So it's not a good idea to only use one character unless you want your character to get ass-raped and pwned by the enemies! [​IMG] The good news is that I'm fairly certain that if you don't use a character in a turn, they seem safe from attack. But even if you don't use a character in battle, they all seem to get experience.

In another thing, I'm a bit confused. Is it just me, or are some characters unable to perform 4 times in a row. I had Tinman, but I think I was only able to attack twice at once with him... I'm not sure. I need to play the game some more to get it.

One thing I didn't like were the controls. You control Dorothy using the stylus. That would work pretty well, but they decided to add a spinning track-ball style device. To move, you must constantly spin the ball using the stylus. This is tiring and a bit annoying. You spin faster to run faster. Turning is a bit of a chore sometimes, if you don't want to lose speed. Menus work well though. You cannot use the buttons or Dpad. I wouldn't mind seeing a button AR code hack like Zelda PH. It is possible to get used to the controls though, and there's nothing in the game that requires lightning-fast reflexes.

This game is fully in Japanese, so if you don't understand the language, you won't be able to understand some of the plot elements. The GOOD news though is that if you've watched the movie or read the story, you'll probably understand the main story of how Dorothy got to Oz, and who the characters are! There seems to be a new plot however, where you travel to the north, south, east, and west. It's something to do with the witches. I'm unsure whether they're evil or not. And Dorothy doesn't land a house on anyone (bummer, that was badass) and I'm not sure about any ruby slippers (or other colors since I realize they were not ruby in the books).

This seems like a fun game. I'll hold off on a final true judgement until I play more. But I'll give it a temporary score:

Graphics: 9/10 (docked one point due to the battles being a bit bland compared to the rest of the game)
    Sound: 8/10 (nothing special, but good)
    Control: 6/10 (takes some time to get used to it)
    Gameplay: 8/10 (need to play more to get a good idea, this might change)

I'd suggest trying this game out. It's certainly one of the prettiest DS games. It's also a very interesting concept to take the Wizard of Oz and turn it into a game.

9. Goshogun1

Member Goshogun1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I am most excited because the soundtrack is being composed by Michiko Naruke of Wild Arms fame, and Hitoshi Sakimoto who did FF XII's and BOF DQs music. 2 of my fave composers should ad a lot. That, and the graphics look fantastic. I pray that this one gets a prompt translation. Also, thanks for the info granville!

10. JPdensetsu
    OP

Member JPdensetsu GBAtemp Addict

Taiwan
    Good job Granville, sorry for destroying ur topic [​IMG] . I've to say, It's a nice game to play.

11. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Sorry granville [​IMG] I hope you're not angry or something.. [​IMG]

Very nice job on that summary you wrote!
    I'm very interested in this game, looks really good, but I doubt I'll be playing it unless it comes to NA (or Europe)..

12. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I'm not angry at all Toni! [​IMG] I just needed to recall what I wrote on the other board. Good game. But now that I regained full use of my computer, I've been neglecting my DS lately! Maybe I'll play it some more soon! [​IMG]

I should also mention that you go see the Wizard in the Emerald City to save your game. I'm not sure if you can do it in any other place. The Emerald City isn't as green as it should be...

As for coming to the US, Xseed expressed interest in localizing the game if given the opportunity. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this game WOULD be a success here. Seems a bit quirky and something not many US people would appreciate. I feel so alone in liking this game. [​IMG]

13. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    The game is ok and Dorothy's outfit is very pretty with elements from the original and a design that is seems Pretty Cure-ish. Some of the gameplay elements aren't very good like no healing spells. I don't why I say this but why are those red slippers emitting a ton of magic dust I know they sparkle and this is Japanese but the emissions are just too high even if it has a cute magic girl feel to it.

14. brissmas

Member brissmas GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Graphics are sweet, is there going to be an english release or will we have to translate?

15. iPikachu

Member iPikachu C3's personal flamebot and fail artist

Singapore
    they killed the tin man [​IMG]

16. Inpression

Newcomer Inpression Advanced Member

United States
    Looks good, but why is the music from Valkyria Chronicles used in that Japanese trailer?

17. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Well I need to play it before I can judge it. So far I don't care about the controls, I played Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood and Zelda: PH so I know how to use the stylus. My only gripe is if they bring it here to the US. The stupid American officials will called it 'The Wizard of Oz: DS' not 'Riz Zoawd' also they will make the characters change slightly to match what we Americans are use to as far as the film goes. With that saying, I don't believe this should come to the US. It's going to be another underestimated shovelware DS game that no one will pay interest into.

18. Ducky

Member Ducky QUACKJECTION!

Israel
    You make me laugh.. Calling that a good game , no wait.. Calling that a game .

19. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    Xseed sucks balls, I hope they won't localize the game.

20. nicklessguy

Member nicklessguy GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I have healing spells with Dorothy. Don't know if any other character learns it as well, don't seems like it.

This is a fantastic game so far. Picked it up just to peep on it and can't stop playing.
    Simple, yet innovative and fresh battle system with a huge Dragon Quest feel, AMAZING soundtrack that struggles with FFXII for a place on my rank, jaw-droping graphics and quite good dungeon crawling (the signal marking system helps a LOT).

Really surprised on this one!