The O in Xbox is a separate piece on the 360 case.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by RalphUp, Feb 9, 2010.

1. RalphUp
    OP

Member RalphUp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi Guys,

sent my XBOX in for repair and they sent it back "An inspection of your console has revealed that tampering or attempted tampering of the console has occured"

So no free E74 repair for me.... but £2.99 later and the X-Clamp has sent my E74 packing!

strang thing is that the "O" on the top of the case was GONE! is this a way of Microsoft "MARKING" the box as Warranty Stuffed?!?!

You can actually PRY the "O" out with a scalpel.

Just wondering, I have actually nicked the "O" off another completely dead box that I keep for spares ;-)

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I remember actually seeing another case with this particular detail.

And IIRC, it was a RROD'd 360 (which I later fixed) which went into warranty.

Also, E74 is a (H)ANA error, how could ever a X-Clamp fix it [​IMG]
    It's probably a temporary fix caused by the new flexation of the board. Give it some time and it'll sadly return.

Also, an interesting fact: A RROD-repaired Xenon will inevitabily die from E74 something like 2 years later. I probably know how to fix that, I'll have to give it a shot with my Hot-Air Station on a E74-died 360 I still have for testing.

Meh, crappy 360s.

3. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Its most likely just a coincidence and the O fell off due to man handling druing transit or something. Microsoft use their patented warranty banana to make sure your warranty is valid (it takes 1 year to rot)

4. RalphUp
    OP

United States
    Unit is a HDMI box with HANA chip, graphics would corrupt (even in dashboard - the shadow of the avatar was all mixed up) then it went total E74 no booting at all just E74... M$ wouldnt repair so I gave it the old overheat trick and BANG back into life but occasional graphic errors, then X-Clamped just the GPU and all has been good for days now!

5. overlord00

Member overlord00 A motherfucking birdplane

Australia
    DELETED BY USER

6. raulpica

Italy
    Oh, the old overheat trick. Got tired of it, as E74 came back after max 2 weeks. I still use it for other things, but it's totally useless for E74. It'll just come back. Good luck, though.

Zephyr's HANAs are the worst ones. The BGA solderings are total crap. Can't remember the Falcon's ones, but I'm pretty sure the Jasper ones should have finally fixed the problem (IIRC, shrinked down QFP packages. Pretty good).

7. RalphUp
    OP

United States
    well it was a free to me box (which now has a 250Gb HDD)... I have two other NON HDMI units, one is banned with internal 20Gb HDD and the other is hacked DVD and external 20Gb HDD but not banned and not used on live. and I have a PS3 which is my main machine, so the HDMI 360 will more than likely only get used as a media extender....
    PS why does the Extender only function when connected via LIVE?!?! does this mean if my BB connection goes down I cant use the 360 as a MEDIA Extender?!?

8. lightyear

Member lightyear GBAtemp Regular

United States
    same thing happened to mine...and it was also an e-74, no longer under warranty....??? Non-hdmi, btw.

9. RalphUp
    OP

United States
    well my advice to you lightyear is if M$ wont touch it then try the over heat trick ...it cant hurt...I new mine was a GPU issue though as if the graphics corrupted and then I pressed on the GPU heatsink then the graphics would be ok again...

10. raulpica

Italy
    Non-hdmi... Then your has a QFP ANA. A lot better than those pesky BGA HANAs.

The best way to do this would be desoldering it and then resolder it with a Hot Air station. You could still have some luck try to put some opposite pression on the motherboard removing the X-Clamp, but it's a temporary solution, and quite a thing of luck.

11. RalphUp
    OP

United States
    Anyhooo...back to the original topic...Why the Removable "O"?!?!?