Misc The number of horrible ads lately on YouTube for mobile games

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure everyone has gone on YouTube and seen an ad or two over the last couple of months, or seen one of them on your phone through a mobile app that features ads in one way or another. It's honestly hard to watch some of them due to how they are trying to appeal to the newer generation.

Promises of "huge jackpots", "hundreds of summons" and other "special" deals using codes on login and whatnot. Honestly this is more of a rant, but it's just kind of hard to believe that we've entered a world where it's commonplace on apps and video streaming sites.

What I can recall starting it being apps like AFK Arena and the like that would show ads and amazing characters being summoned by using codes have devolved into dozens of random apps that I've never heard of flooding the ad market all claiming to be amazing since you'll unlock so many SSR characters.

Has the new wave of advertisements bothered anyone here as it has me?

Side note: The voice over for that Evony or whatever game being used on two distinct different guys, the lottery games and survival building games, and the anime waifus guy have mostly caused me the most pain, the other ones honestly I could forget about easily.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure everyone has gone on YouTube and seen an ad or two over the last couple of months, or seen one of them on your phone through a mobile app that features ads in one way or another. It's honestly hard to watch some of them due to how they are trying to appeal to the newer generation.

Promises of "huge jackpots", "hundreds of summons" and other "special" deals using codes on login and whatnot. Honestly this is more of a rant, but it's just kind of hard to believe that we've entered a world where it's commonplace on apps and video streaming sites.

What I can recall starting it being apps like AFK Arena and the like that would show ads and amazing characters being summoned by using codes have devolved into dozens of random apps that I've never heard of flooding the ad market all claiming to be amazing since you'll unlock so many SSR characters.

Side note: The voice over for that Evony or whatever game being used on two distinct different guys, the lottery games and survival building games, and the anime waifus guy have mostly caused me the most pain, the other ones honestly I could forget about easily.
YouTube Vanced FTW!!!

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but now that's dead in the water, Google shut it down.

Sure, there might be a new fork of it, but considering how sue happy google is getting, I doubt there will be a new one for a long long time.
Still works fine here

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My Magisk version of Vanced stopped working, I should try the separate app install.

NewPipe looks ok for playing YouTube videos without ads, it's weird using it without the associated account tho.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

I don't get ads on YouTube. But yeah, I got sick of them a long time ago (especially the sponsors), it's always the same crap and never anything I'm interested in.

Sure, there might be a new fork of it, but considering how sue happy google is getting, I doubt there will be a new one for a long long time.
NewPipe exists. Not as good though.
Rather than a modification of YouTube it's an all new client so it's missing a lot of features most people would take for granted like being able to log in.
On the other hand it has features Vanced never did like being able to download the AAC audio file from a video.
What is this new fork? I'm interested.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My Magisk version of Vanced stopped working, I should try the separate app install.

NewPipe looks ok for playing YouTube videos without ads, it's weird using it without the associated account tho.
Yeah, the Magisk version was abandoned quite a long time ago.
I figure that it has something to do with the fact they changed to using a patcher, rather than including the entire apk they use partial apks and download the YouTube app from official sources and patch the modified data into it, so there was no point in doing it through Magisk anymore since you need the manager to install the patched version anyway.
The manager is way more convenient for keeping it up to date anyways (not that that matters anymore)

Reactions: hippy dave

wownmnpare

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What bothers me is that some has no skip ads. fuck sake i don't really care about mobile gaming since i alwasy play on console or on my laptop

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ads are why I don't really do much with my phone except take pictures, listen to music, and make calls. Gaming is probably one of the last things I ever use it for. Most mobile games are garbage. Imo.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ads are why I don't really do much with my phone except take pictures, listen to music, and make calls. Gaming is probably one of the last things I ever use it for. Most mobile games are garbage. Imo.
If you have Android, look into Adguard. It blocks ads, even in apps. Doesn't block Youtube ads though.

Reactions: Stone_Wings

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have Android, look into Adguard. It blocks ads, even in apps. Doesn't block Youtube ads though.

I am familiar with Adguard but thank you for the suggestion anyway. :) I don't do any mobile gaming at all, the few mobile apps I do use (like my music player of choice) are all paid versions so no ads, and it not working for YouTube is why I don't even bother installing it at all since that would be my only real purpose for it. I will +1 your Adguard recommendation for others though, who use their phones for much more things than I do.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seen some strange ass ads on YouTube via my PS4 (I don't pay for premium).

Now that I know it can record YouTube, I can capture it as evidence. Much as I try to find those ads, they're unavailable publicly and only thru YouTube ads.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's a self defeating attitude, the way I see it as long as its an open source effort, anyone and everyone can jump in at any point and make a fork/update to keep it going. Plus the third party YT app on my Nvidia is still up after over a year of downloading it.

Finally, the biggest ad blockers are third party chrome extensions, and if they tried to stop those from existing you bet there would be hell to pay on their end, not to mention that the chromium project is after all, Open Source.

To anyone else here with ad issues on their other devices, I would recommend taking a look at making your own Pi-Hole once RasPi's get cheaper again.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

YT Vanced is still going strong and allows us to see dislikes whereas Google has blocked them on normal YT.

You've got a defeatist behavior, bud.

Reactions: Dr_Faustus

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
I use Wipr on Mac and iOS and it gets rid of all the ads. Though sometimes, maybe once every six months, the ads come back for a day. Probably Google pushing a new fix for adblockers and Wipr scrambling to update their system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Crowbar?