Gaming the normal DS games look absolutely horrible on the 3DS

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
fast games look cool in the blur as if it's motion blur.
others look a bit worse but anyone can live with that.

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Is this a statement or a question?

In my opinion, they look just fine. Sure it's a bit stretched and has a strange blur or something to it but I really don't notice it with the screen almost 2 feet away.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
If you hold select when booting, it won't be stretched and will be sharper. I don't mind the blur, reminds me of playing games on old CRT TVs.

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd rather play DS games on my DSi anyway, but I personally don't like the way they've been scaled from 192x256 to 240x320. The colour looks fainter, and not sharp at all. Anyway you can start in native resolution mode by holding start and select, but then the screen is only like 2 inches, and that's way too small.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a bit of a blur, but only if you pay very good attention. I had to see screens comparing them side-by-side to see what people were talking about. It's very slight, and not horrible by any means. It certain beats the alternatives you could have had. 3DS has a different resolution than the DS, so the games have to be stretched or letterboxed. If stretched, you'll get a blur filter. And trust me, it's a far better choice than having it stretched without one. Here's a rough example i made explaining what i meant-
ctds3dscomparison.png

The blurring is hardly a thing to dwell on, it's necessary and doesn't even look very different unless you really compare it and the original side-by-side. But i think anyone would immediately be turned off if we had to deal with option #3, which is just straight stretched with no filter at all.

For me, i don't care one bit. Especially since i can now use the analog slide pad in place of the dpad. May not be analog, but it feels FAR more comfortable and easier to hit the diagonals. The tradeoff is very much worth it.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
I found pokemon white quite hard to get used to, as especially during battles everything looks a bit... pixel-y.
GTA Chinatown wars on the other hand, is nicer to play on the 3ds screens IMO, as things get less crowded

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I just already appreciate the fact that the 3DS has backwards compatibility. That's good enough for me.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coming directly from the dim screens of the original DS phat, my DS games looks absolutely stunning on 3DS. Castlevania DoS makes an especially pleasing impression.

TheNikkoMan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
The only DS game I've played on my 3DS is Heart Gold, and while it is blurry and it looks better on the DS, you get used to it fairly quick. It is no big problem, if a problem at all.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Compared to my DSi they do look pretty bad (unless you stop the stretching) but compared to my DS phat it looks pretty good.

So DSi > 3DS > DS phat

I've not used a DS lite for ages so I can't compare.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hunter291 said:
And what about the DSiXL. Does the game screen look blurry ? Because the screen is much bigger ?
No, the DSi and DSiXL both still use the standard DS resolution- 256x192 for each screen. The screen might be larger than older DS models, but the resolution never changed. Instead of upping the resolution, each individual pixel is slightly physically larger. So your games may look slightly more "blocky" as the pixels are enlarged a bit to fit the larger screens. Sprites and pixels in general will look more jagged as the edges will be larger and more noticeable. No blur filter was applied though.

The blur filter was necessary on the 3DS however due to the abnormal resolution it had to stretch DS games to. They have to be fitted to a 320x240 resolution, which looks weird and messy when stretched exactly. So the blur filter was added to compensate for the ugliness.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally haven't noticed a difference - all of the games look fine to me. I've only tried Mario Kart DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, Custom Robo Arena, Starfox Command, and Strange Journey, though. They look fine - and I don't hold select to boot into that small screen mode, either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm here.