the normal DS games look absolutely horrible on the 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by gautam, Jun 2, 2011.

1. gautam
    OP

Newcomer gautam Advanced Member

United States
    Nintendo DS games are ugly on 3DS, is it really?

2. ilman

Member ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Bulgaria
    fast games look cool in the blur as if it's motion blur.
    others look a bit worse but anyone can live with that.

3. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    lol there the same

it does not stretch them

it has a filter to make them look better

4. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    Is this a statement or a question?

In my opinion, they look just fine. Sure it's a bit stretched and has a strange blur or something to it but I really don't notice it with the screen almost 2 feet away.

5. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    If you hold select when booting, it won't be stretched and will be sharper. I don't mind the blur, reminds me of playing games on old CRT TVs.

6. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Member NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU Now with extra redundancy!

Australia
    I'd rather play DS games on my DSi anyway, but I personally don't like the way they've been scaled from 192x256 to 240x320. The colour looks fainter, and not sharp at all. Anyway you can start in native resolution mode by holding start and select, but then the screen is only like 2 inches, and that's way too small.

7. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    There's a bit of a blur, but only if you pay very good attention. I had to see screens comparing them side-by-side to see what people were talking about. It's very slight, and not horrible by any means. It certain beats the alternatives you could have had. 3DS has a different resolution than the DS, so the games have to be stretched or letterboxed. If stretched, you'll get a blur filter. And trust me, it's a far better choice than having it stretched without one. Here's a rough example i made explaining what i meant-
    [​IMG]

The blurring is hardly a thing to dwell on, it's necessary and doesn't even look very different unless you really compare it and the original side-by-side. But i think anyone would immediately be turned off if we had to deal with option #3, which is just straight stretched with no filter at all.

For me, i don't care one bit. Especially since i can now use the analog slide pad in place of the dpad. May not be analog, but it feels FAR more comfortable and easier to hit the diagonals. The tradeoff is very much worth it.

8. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    My opinion is that 3d games look washed out and messy, and text is harder to read. However 2d games are given a cool pastel look about them. Castlevania looks nice because of it.

9. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    It looks fine, in fact I think it looks better with some games. I cannot understand the notion of it suddenly making DS games look "horrible".

10. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I agree, hence why I kept my DSiXL [​IMG].

11. Weaselpipe

Member Weaselpipe Erratic Temp user

United Kingdom
    I found pokemon white quite hard to get used to, as especially during battles everything looks a bit... pixel-y.
    GTA Chinatown wars on the other hand, is nicer to play on the 3ds screens IMO, as things get less crowded

12. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I just already appreciate the fact that the 3DS has backwards compatibility. That's good enough for me.

13. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Coming directly from the dim screens of the original DS phat, my DS games looks absolutely stunning on 3DS. Castlevania DoS makes an especially pleasing impression.

14. TheNikkoMan

Newcomer TheNikkoMan Advanced Member

Norway
    The only DS game I've played on my 3DS is Heart Gold, and while it is blurry and it looks better on the DS, you get used to it fairly quick. It is no big problem, if a problem at all.

15. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    I'm sticking with my DSi for now. DS games seems prettier

16. hunter291

Member hunter291 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    And what about the DSiXL. Does the game screen look blurry ? Because the screen is much bigger ?

17. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Nope. It looks pretty cool [​IMG]. I dont/didnt notice any difference apart from things being bigger lol.

18. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    Compared to my DSi they do look pretty bad (unless you stop the stretching) but compared to my DS phat it looks pretty good.

So DSi > 3DS > DS phat

I've not used a DS lite for ages so I can't compare.

19. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    No, the DSi and DSiXL both still use the standard DS resolution- 256x192 for each screen. The screen might be larger than older DS models, but the resolution never changed. Instead of upping the resolution, each individual pixel is slightly physically larger. So your games may look slightly more "blocky" as the pixels are enlarged a bit to fit the larger screens. Sprites and pixels in general will look more jagged as the edges will be larger and more noticeable. No blur filter was applied though.

The blur filter was necessary on the 3DS however due to the abnormal resolution it had to stretch DS games to. They have to be fitted to a 320x240 resolution, which looks weird and messy when stretched exactly. So the blur filter was added to compensate for the ugliness.

20. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I personally haven't noticed a difference - all of the games look fine to me. I've only tried Mario Kart DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, Custom Robo Arena, Starfox Command, and Strange Journey, though. They look fine - and I don't hold select to boot into that small screen mode, either.