The Nintendo Wii U turns 5 years old

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    Pretty much this, i used to hate the Wii U and keep thinking its's a failure but i didn't own one back then just because many people hates it, but now i wanted a console to enjoy with the family and after nintendo announced the Switch, that when i remembered the Wii U, really it was a good console and i don't understand why all the hate.

DarthDub likes this.
  2. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Zzzz

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    College campus surveys, ahaha xD

But yeah, $120-150 sounds reasonable. Maybe you'll have to look online. Good luck, man, hope you find one!

Stephano likes this.
  3. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    I bought it solely for Smash. I knew I wouldn't use it for anything else. Playing Gamecube games on it is really cool, though.

4. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Objectively a commercial failure, but a fantastic system to play almost all Nintendo generations nearly perfectly.

I do know the WiiU is a failed generation, but the few games we had for it were pretty good, and homebrew programs let us do things Nintendo never intended us to ever do.
    Gamecube and Wii games through the Gamepad? Now possible!
    Emulators? Retroarch is improving!
    Only thing missing is a fully featured multimedia player and miscelaneous tools :D

Last edited by VinsCool, Nov 19, 2017
    DrkBeam, oji, DarthDub and 2 others like this.
  5. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    Well, for a while i used my wii u to stream movie and tv show by using the browser to acces plex

6. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    English is not my language, so you have to excuse my bad English.
    anyway, i don get why the Wii U failed in the eyes of the fans, i know there are many who thought that it's just a new controller for the Wii, and others thought it's a new console that you can use it as portable like the Switch now, many who got disappointed after release, yes you cannot play all games on the gamepad and some games still required the wiimote which is not even coming with the system and on top of that it's expensive, but still the WiiU have many good exclusive games.
    the Switch is a good idea, don't get me wrong i like the idea of the Switch, but still it's too early to get one because there are only 2 or 3 games worth it, BOTW was meant to be on the Wii U, but when Nintendo announced it for the Switch then everyone forgot about the Wii U and act like BOTW was only for the Switch while it's the exact same game on the Wii U but no one cares.

7. Noctosphere

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Actually, switch version of botw has better graphics
    Also, one reason that pushed people to get botw on switch is that nintendo announced it would be the last 1st party game for wii u
    Customer.wouldnt buy wii u version, knowing its the last 1st party game to come
    They prefered to buy a switch and botw and have more new 1st party game at the same time.
    Mmmmmh, english isnt my native language so idk if i get understood

Lazyboss likes this.
  8. Filo97

Filo97 Pink = Best colour

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    I really liked it. I really don't get why people do not like it. I loved the games a lot. I played super Mario 3d world a lot, and mario bros u and LUIGI U! I LOVED Luigi U! And Mario Maker, and Splatoon, and mk8, and all the games!

9. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I got very lucky and bought mine in late 2013 for like 300€ with a bunch of games and accessoires, ended up at around 120€ for the premium unit alone. That was a fair price to complete all the games worth playing. Sold it in early 2016, even with a profit. But never ever would I have spent over 300 bucks for the console alone.

10. HomebrewJay

HomebrewJay Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2016
    United States
    The Wii U nowadays is only good for its Homebrew purposes. Glad I picked one up recently for $90 at my local electronic store!

Last edited by HomebrewJay, Nov 19, 2017
  11. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    For their arbitrarily set expectations? Sure
    Improvable by a better release schedule? Probably by a lot
    Misleading name, bad reputation of the Wii that was mostly abandoned this decade? Yes
    But I wouldnt't call 13% of the Wii (third best selling home console ever) a total disaster...

12. Most-Wanted

Most-Wanted 3D OLED TV'S /o/

Apr 2, 2017
    Its one of the best Used consoles to buy, tons of games now and every game for Free! ,Kids don't care about generation of console, so its a perfect Christmas present after you have hacked the device for them.

Deleted-355425 likes this.
  13. I bought one at launch at a super market, we took the box to the cashier and she waved over a staff member to go get it from the back as the box’s on th shelf we’re just display box’s. My wife followed her down to the room without her knowing and staff member in the store room shouted ‘omg someone’s actually bought one of these!?!’ Lolol I guess they were over priced and stuff for the time.

14. xpoverzion

xpoverzion GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2017
    Gaza Strip

What are my fondest memories of the Wii U?? How about the fact that it's the only Nintendo console that when hacked, can play just about every game nintendo has made over the past 30 years. The only exception are a few platform titles that are exclusive to the switch. Otherwise, if you know how to modify the Wii U, it's the best console Nintendo has ever made in my opinion. Anyone who says it was a failure just didn't know how to use it/hack it properly;).

DarthDub, oji, lafleche and 4 others like this.
  15. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I love my Wii U. A bunch of nice games, great emulation of the Gamecube (thanks Nintendont!) and I'm able to play Wii games. Winner of the hearts.

DarthDub, oji, Lazyboss and 1 other person like this.
  16. Mefisteso

Mefisteso Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    Poland
    Well, I could write bad things about the Wii U 3rd Party support, but since it's hacked I think it's one of the best Nintendo systems to have .
    Just think about it.
    You can play almost every single Nintendo game since 1985 thx to the Wii backward compatibility, massive number of emulators and injectable VC and even play with a controller of your choice(Hid to vpad). The only exceptions are Switch (obvious, huh?) and 3DS games.
    I selled my Wii, GC, N64, even Gameboys and SMD, coz I've got them all in one console. It's a great way to utilize Wii U.

DarthDub, oji, Bimmel and 2 others like this.
  17. supaplex

supaplex Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2016
    Poland
    I still have my Wii U, I won't sell it even when I buy Switch because I have too many unfinished digital games. Right now playing Skyward Sword and Metroid Other M on Virtual Console. I also love to have sort of portable SNES and play VC games when my wife watches TV. And when I get used to stupidly small font in Xenoblade Chronicles X, I will finish it.

18. Xen0

Xen0 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    Germany
    Bought my one early too and honestly it isn´t that much of a failure for me. I have my 5-6 games I really loved and enjoed and thats enough for me.

19. Noctosphere

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    From what i read, the only people who doesnt consider wii u as a failure is the common hacker

20. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    The Wii U is a great console, it's got the Nintendo exclusives such as Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros and some others I really like such as Bayonetta 2 and Fast Racing Neo.

With Homebrew the console is capable of emulating every past Nintendo to date, with the exception of the 3DS.

It's a great console for those of us who enjoy local multiplayer gaming with friends. Sure i'd not have paid full price for it, however new for £140 with Mario Kart 8 was a great deal in my book.

Codemastershock and DarthDub like this.