The Nintendo Wii U turns 5 years old

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 18, 2017.

1. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Still my fav console ever.

DarthDub likes this.
  2. fille

fille GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2014
    Belgium
    somewhere
    i still have mine,almost 60 games,only the exclusives and it is hacked now with cbh.
    but its still like new,but i collecting consoles,never do it away till i can't game anymore,probably cause i'm to old then.

3. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Amen, brother. I hope to be playing my Wii U for at least another 5 years to come.

DarthDub and smileyhead like this.
  4. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    A better paper weight than a console.
    Putting it into perspective that it only now turns 5 is probably the most pathetic thing to realize. But i'm glad Nintendo moved on from that abysmal failure and actually made a really awesome console, that they advertised and actually had the games in the works to support it.

5. Mariko

Mariko GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2009
    Oh, what a witty and grammatically correct comment. Anyone who shares this opinion can go and suck it. Seriously. Wii U was and still is a great console, and just because it doesn't suit the commercial tastes of GTA, CS:GO, CoD or whatever the current fad game fans, doesn't make it a failure. Wii U was more successful than you'll ever be, and it's a mass produced piece of consumer hardware, while you're a human being. Makes one think. Go watch a video of some dude yelling at the screen while he's streaming an FPS. That seems to be your scene.

DarthDub and smileyhead like this.
  6. BQuail

BQuail Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2017
    United States

WAAAAAAAAAH!! Someone doesn't like what I like! Cry some more why don't ya.

Last edited by BQuail, Nov 18, 2017
    dpad_5678 likes this.
  7. Mariko

Mariko GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2009
    I don't like this go-to negative opinion so many people seem to have about the Wii U. People, who in most cases aren't the target audience. What I like is constructive criticism. Nice way to contribute, by the way. Keep writing things like that, and you might be in the 20s on your post count by Monday, noob.

8. BQuail

BQuail Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2017
    United States

Lol. That was so ridiculous I could pick apart every single sentence. But I’ll just say this. I actually enjoy the Wii U. I just thought it was pathetic the way you pissed your pants with rage and personally insulted over a silly, throw-away joke. But hey, gotta do something to make yourself feel better about your miserable, basement dwelling life.

Last edited by BQuail, Nov 18, 2017
    DrkBeam and dpad_5678 like this.
  9. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    This reminds me that my youngest sister's birthday is tomorrow. Interesting. I got the Wii U in December 2014, the 32GB black deluxe edition that came with Super Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land. Almost 3 years and I still have never ever ever taken them out of their cases. Yeah, someday maybe. The real games I bought for support were Bayonetta 1&2, Mario Kart 8, and Super Smash Bros. I didn't play much MK8, but I played a whole lot of the other games. I also got a Gamecube controller and the adapter, it was bundled with SSB4. A Wii U Pro controller for Bayonetta. That was enough for me, I would like to get more games, but given the timing of when I got the console, at the end of its peak year, I'm more interested in getting a Switch. I don't know why it was made, it wasn't so much a successor of the Wii, but rather a stunted evolution, whereas Switch is the true successor. For that, it has such an awkward legacy, like a better version of Virtual Boy. Except Wii U was unintentional. An unintentional buffer between Wii and Switch. I never got with the main controller, it begged an investment in the Wii U Pro. Maybe without Wii U though, there wouldn't be a Switch. Like if there was no Dragon Ball Evolution, there wouldn't be the Dragon Ball Z movies and Dragon Ball Super. A failure can be appreciated for at least giving way to a success.

10. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    I remember much confusion at the launch.
    Lots of People asked the Salsesman at my lokal Media store whether the WiiU is a new console or just an Wii Console with a new Controller.:P

Last edited by Dodain47, Nov 18, 2017
  11. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I love my Wii U so much. It's a better homebrew machine than the Wii! I can play Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U games with the Gamepad thanks to Wii VC injects! Can also play a lot of older game systems thanks to Retroarch. I'm also typing this from my Wii U Gamepad as we speak!

oji likes this.
  12. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N knows nothing

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    The Wii U was, in my opinion, the Sega Saturn of its generation. While I see Nintendo fans often comparing it to the Dreamcast instead of the Saturn, doing that seems to ignore the position both companies were in when they launched their respective consoles.

Both systems were released riding high on the heels of a very popular console, yet failed to deliver. Both systems had botched marketing, leaving many consumers either confused or uninterested. Both systems were missing some key players that could have made the system more successful (I'm not saying that Super Mario 3D World is as bad as Sonic 3D Blast, quite the contrary, but it certainly wasn't what people were expecting from a 3D Mario game. We also lacked any new titles from franchises like Metroid, and, until the very end of console's lifespan, Zelda).

Both systems were representative of a company at it's lowest; both systems were what forced their respective companies to reconsider their approaches, their strategies at competing within the gaming market.
    Yet both systems had their fair share of excellent and unorthodox games, games that honestly didn't deserve the system they were released on.

The Nintendo Switch seems to be doing an excellent job at making a comeback for Nintendo, perhaps better than the Dreamcast was doing for SEGA. Let's hope Nintendo won't share SEGA's fate.

DarthDub and VinsCool like this.
  13. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    The wiiu is imho Nintendo's Dreamcast: an awesome system with great (but few) games, sided with terrible marketing and even worse timing.

The marketing is in the name. The E3 announcement was a joke (the actual announcement ended with a "huh... So what's the new name" feeling), third party support dropped quickly and sales with it. And while EA certainly played it dirty and e.g. sold mass effect 3 Wii for the same price as the trilogy elsewhere, it wasn't just their fault. Ubisoft couldn't break even on zombiiu because development costs were to high and everybody just bought the systems for a freaking Mario side scroller.
    Worse: after Nintendo announced (but before release date), Sony and Microsoft announced their next gen consoles, thus directly stealing all the wind in the wiiu's sales.

End result: the poor thing was on a downward spiral from the start. Tablets were barely less in tech and much more mobile, consoles (and their support) were on yet another raised standard and Nintendo did their usual innovation (which is not what people really want if you look clear enough).

... But the actual system is more than decent. I've got mine since launch day and had plenty of great hours with it. I've used the fit tracker to jog, played through Batman, Rayman and nsmbu (there's no denying: it's a good platformer). Nintendo land had some fun party moments. And it did what competition didn't: full backwards compatibility.

In the end, i can't deny that the best feature few on me: the offscreen modus. These days, i game a lot on it while sitting next to my girlfriend who watches television. That the having scene allows Wii games and GameCube games to be played this way only increases that greatness.

Chary and DarthDub like this.
  14. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    When I saw this thread in the recent content list I thought it was like a 2 or 3 year old bump, I can't believe it's legit only been 5 years since the Wii Useless launched. How depressing.

At least Nintendo realized it was shit and expedited the Switch. Even if I don't particularly like how the Switch turned out, I can definitely say it's a much better console than the Wii U was.

15. fille

fille GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2014
    Belgium
    somewhere
    i like the switch and own 1,but why can't nintendo makes a console with xbox one x specs,always that lowend hardware,its because i like nintendo and their games that i each time buy their consoles,but i hope their next console will be on par or even more power full than xbox one x or ps5.

DrkBeam likes this.
  16. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Just a reminder that the Wii U sold more than the Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast combined. I personally don't see Wii U as a failure when there's over 15 million sales worldwide. For comparison, that's 50% of people that own an X-BOX One at 30 million sales. Interesting, huh?

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N and Ryccardo like this.
  17. lordkaos

lordkaos GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 13, 2009
    United States
    Incredible, only just 5 years and it is already dead.

18. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    Well, the Console still has a life of it´s own thanks to Homebrew. :P

Last edited by Dodain47, Nov 18, 2017
    DarthDub likes this.
  19. supergamer368

supergamer368 this isn’t bookworm adventures deluxe

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Zanzibar Island, 5:00 PM
    Wii U’s fun, but I just bought a Switch

20. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

GBAtemp Patron
    dpad_5678 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    It's really not a terrible console.

The Wii remote and nunchucks felt great and didn't hurt your hand after long periods of use. The Wii U Pro Controller was also very nice feeling, and the gamepad too if it weren't for the trashy screen resolution.

The thing is, the console was way too underpowered thus limiting it on every level.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted