The Nintendo Switch has surpassed the sales total of the NES, bringing it to over 62 million units

package_redblue.jpg

The Nintendo Switch continues its red-hot sales streak by hitting a new milestone. Earlier this month, Nintendo's fiscal year report showed that the Switch had sold well despite stock shortages throughout the quarantine period, and due to the launch of Animal Crossing: New Horizons, bringing the sales total to 61 million. This put it on equal terms with the sales of the NES, which also managed to sell 61 million units during its lifetime. A mere few weeks after that fiscal report, though, and the Switch has overtaken the original Nintendo home console to secure itself as the 12th most popular gaming console of all time. These numbers come from the most recent issue of Famitsu in Japan, which are from July, meaning the Switch has shifted even more consoles since.

The next goal for the Nintendo Switch to hit would be 75.77 million units--the same sales total as the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

:arrow: Source

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Selling so well that it's no where to be found
like many other companies using covid as an excuse, i bet nintendo are doing the same as what they did with the wii, intentionally keeping shortage.

but ive seen loads of people taking advantage of this and bulk buying what stock there is and selling them for 2x the price.

but also not hard considering nintendo shit out multiple versions of the same fucking shit system, only difference been, wow i have a different color dildo controller, hmmm be cheaper to just buy the dildo on its own rather then have to buy an entire tablet again.

PoiRan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Good news, I guess. More people buying games will hopefully bring more good games. (And I won't be buying PS or Xbox in the nest 5 years anyway, so more power to Nintendo thanks)

Considering Nintendo now has the "original Switch"(and the updated with longer lasting battery), and the Switch Lite, I actually hope for a Switch console. As in, no battery included, no display either, just HDMI out and 2 joycons (and some way to charge them). Could bring the price down quite a lot, and many people actually never use Switch in handheld mode. I only use it handheld to load Hekate and homebrew apps...

Last edited by PoiRan,

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I have been living between Ireland and Germany, never once I had noticed any shortage... Wonder if is an US thing?
Don't know about other country but shortage is also happening in korea. I'm not planning to get one for now so I don't know the detail but my friend says "It's impossible to buy one with its original price"

Reactions: Payne and guisadop

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Don't know about other country but shortage is also happening in korea. I'm not planning to get one for now so I don't know the detail but my friend says "It's impossible to buy one with its original price"
I can also confirm this, I never saw it out of stock here in Germany, each one of the three times I bought one it was as easy as going out and getting it from the local Saturn store that has plenty of them in stock.

PS: Yes, I am the weird uncle that goes giving switches as gifts.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Personally I think there's a point to be made that the Switch should be striving to reach combined handheld and home console sales and the closest one it is to beating is the combined Wii U and 3DS sales which is around 89 million consoles sold. I've heard this argument more often now and it does have some merit.

The Switch is essentially Nintendo's handheld and console forces combined.

Last edited by Zense,

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I can also confirm this, I never saw it out of stock here in Germany, each one of the three times I bought one it was as easy as going out and getting it from the local Saturn store that has plenty of them in stock.

PS: Yes, I am the weird uncle that goes giving switches as gifts.
As an American, the Switch has been in this weird sold-out state ever since launch. I'll walk into a Walmart, 2017, no Switch. Target, 2019, no Switch. Online 2020? You better believe no Switch. I only got my original Switch because I found one on Target.com, called and tried to reserve it, and drove 30 miles out to pick it up. And it was the last one they had on the shelf. Maybe it's a weird case due to the fact I live in a large city where scalping is common, but still.

Reactions: HarveyHouston

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As an American, the Switch has been in this weird sold-out state ever since launch. I'll walk into a Walmart, 2017, no Switch. Target, 2019, no Switch. Online 2020? You better believe no Switch. I only got my original Switch because I found one on Target.com, called and tried to reserve it, and drove 30 miles out to pick it up. And it was the last one they had on the shelf. Maybe it's a weird case due to the fact I live in a large city where scalping is common, but still.

I got my initial clean Switch I want to say a few weeks before Super Mario Odyssey released in 2017 from Best Buy, and there wasn't a shortage up in the Midwest. Then, I got the normal Mariko one from GameStop after trading in a Gold Slim PS4 towards a deal to get the updated Switch, and gifted one of my older brothers the old one as a Christmas present. :)

As for the hacked Switch, I simply got another one of the tablet by itself for cheap on eBay.

As for getting a Switch nowadays, on the other hand...

Last edited by Silent_Gunner,
Reactions: Maq47

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu