The Nintendo Switch has overtaken the 3DS in terms of sales

'.jpg

This time last year, the Nintendo Switch had just surpassed the sales numbers of both the Super Nintendo and the Xbox One, having secured itself 52 million total units sold. Now, as of the latest fiscal update, the Switch has just barely beaten out the Nintendo 3DS. The latter attained 75.94 million sales throughout its lifespan, with 385.85 million software sales. By comparison, the Switch has reached 79.87 million hardware sales, and 532.34 million games sold. Game sales for the platform increased year-over-year, with Animal Crossing: New Horizons managing 31.18 million sales in less than a year since its launch, while the limited-time exclusive compilation Super Mario 3D All-Stars hit over 8 million sales.

:arrow: Source

Crazynoob458

That Reshiram
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not necessarily - it's also possible to judge the Wii U (versus the original Wii) based on the default controller. In this competition, the Wii U wins hands-down due to not having bullshit dysfunctional motion controls forced down players' throats like a freaking disease. No, the Wii U has the much more reliable and comfortable GamePad, and barely uses the stupid Wiimote pointer controls.

Plus the Wii U offers backwards-compatibility and quite widespread Virtual Console support, though the former only really works if the horrific motion controls decide to behave themselves.
some games bad for motion controls (eg mario kart wii i use a nunchuk anyway)
some games good (eg skyward sword and sports resort kinda sad it uses the motionplus)

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
some games bad for motion controls (eg mario kart wii i use a nunchuk anyway)
some games good (eg skyward sword and sports resort kinda sad it uses the motionplus)
Skyward Sword...:rofl2:
Please, I've played through that disaster multiple times, and EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. The motion controls fucked up.
The net would spaz about uncontrollably, the Beetle would constantly lean to one side, the Harp was practically unusable (which is just fan-fucking-tastic since it's mandatory several times), sword swings were inaccurate and clunky...

Twilight Princess was much more enjoyable due to allowing the player to DISABLE the stupid pointer.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not necessarily - it's also possible to judge the Wii U (versus the original Wii) based on the default controller. In this competition, the Wii U wins hands-down due to not having bullshit dysfunctional motion controls forced down players' throats like a freaking disease. No, the Wii U has the much more reliable and comfortable GamePad, and barely uses the stupid Wiimote pointer controls.

Plus the Wii U offers backwards-compatibility and quite widespread Virtual Console support, though the former only really works if the horrific motion controls decide to behave themselves.
I don't disagree at all that between Wii U and Wii, I would take a Wii U any day of the week.

But 2006 wii vs 2012 wiiu, the wii was simply the better console. So much innovation, good games, fair 3rd party suppport, great first party support. The wiiu was trying to grasp at the success of the wii with added gimmicks that just didn't work and woefully underpowered hardware.

Imagine if ninty had taken the money that went into developing the gamepad and invested that into the actual hardware itself. We would have no doubt had a more powerful console at the same price. And nothing would have been lost. The gamepad didn't fundamentally change the dynamics of basically any game. (I mean unless you wanna talk about starfox zero, but I think what they did there was a huge mistake).

Crazynoob458

That Reshiram
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Skyward Sword...:rofl2:
Please, I've played through that disaster multiple times, and EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. The motion controls fucked up.
The net would spaz about uncontrollably, the Beetle would constantly lean to one side, the Harp was practically unusable (which is just fan-fucking-tastic since it's mandatory several times), sword swings were inaccurate and clunky...

Twilight Princess was much more enjoyable due to allowing the player to DISABLE the stupid pointer.
i guess growing up with a wii just made me used to motion controls

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
What's really crazy is the GBA sales considering the console only lasted four years before Nintendo released the DS. It would have lasted more but Nintendo got scared of the Sony PSP and they had good reasons, the thing was more powerful than a PS1 and could do 3D games. And actually ended outselling the GBA is just that the Nintendo DS sold way more than the PSP.

Last edited by raxadian,
Reactions: Tarmfot

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yeah but, there are still billions more humans than there are sold Switches. F**k you Nintendo.

The Switch is not hard to get, unlike the PS5 or the new Xboxes.

If you had trouble buying one either Corona is to blame or your mailman may be stealing from you.

Reactions: banjo2

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damnit I wanted the 3ds to have a resurgence. Hope they don't even consider turning 3ds servers off. I own a switch but the 3ds can only be replaced by a handheld the same size

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose this is proof that Nintendo can slap roms into a game and charge $60 and people will buy it, no questions asked.

Well at least it doesn't require one to use convoluted, not to mention, risky means to modding a console for once. And officially emulated too. Not like people are forced to buy games *shrug*

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I reset sometimes, but I never had that many problems with Skyward Sword. Anyway

Now I'm not sure what they are going to do. I was on the Pro train before, but that still hasn't happened. As much as I like the Switch, maybe they should move on at this point. I'm sure they want the extend the life of the Switch, but it would just hold back a Pro version.

HAHA take that Nintendo! I always knew Nintendo is better than Nintendo and would beat Nintendo.
4amvul.jpg

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
I reset sometimes, but I never had that many problems with Skyward Sword. Anyway

Now I'm not sure what they are going to do. I was on the Pro train before, but that still hasn't happened. As much as I like the Switch, maybe they should move on at this point. I'm sure they want the extend the life of the Switch, but it would just hold back a Pro version.

4amvul.jpg
Reminds me of how in Pokémon black, when your room gets messed up during a fight, your Wii is the only thing left unscrathed

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the thing is this app on the 3ds
View attachment 244531
has lots of personality
the switch itself no
Never used that app

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo