Hacking The Nintendo DSI - Worth it?

MeowMix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What the Nintendo DSI Has

0.3 Camera (I'm guessing this is like an eyetoy)
3MP Camera (This is most likely for taking pictures)
Sd card slot (Mwuahaha, we can run homebrew from this)
New firmware (Includes web-browser, Mii Channel and DS-ware downloads, Wii points will be come nintendo points and can be used on the Dsi).
Slimmer then a DS Lite.
Removal of the GBA Slot (I don't really give a crap about this, although I hope there is a USB port for add-ons, hopefully)
4GB Internal Flash memory
Bigger screens
Audio Enhancements - Better speakers, better soundcard

What it has to have to make me buy it

More Wii connectivity
Pictochat that has Voice and camera support.
More RAM (It will have more ram, since its going to have a built in webbrowser).
More Processing power
USB Port for add-ons.

Soo what do you think about the NDSI? Goodjob I didnt buy a NDSL And i stuck with the NDSP

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To answer the topic, I think no.

I think they should have just made a whole new handheld all together rather than make another DS. The DSi sounds lame, looks like a prototype of the Lite and has a lot of new gimmicky features.

But, if I was looking to get a DS, I would get the DSi. Since I already own the Lite, I'm quite happy and don't think it's worth the upgrade yet.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it's got a clicky d-pad and buttons then it's definitely worth it!
biggrin.gif

Need confirmation!

DarkSpace

Custom member title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No, because for the most part most of us have DS lite and a flashcart not for pirrating would allow for the MP3 player/ movie watching(which is already more than the DSi) and also It has no GBA slot. It also has a camera but with that Pricetag I could buy a better camera.

MeowMix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well if it has More CPU and ram and GPU tweaks and a usb port ill deffo buy it but think about it, I doubt nintendo is gunna make NDSI Only games, since they wont work on the NDS... yeah they shudda made a new Portable console.. 3 variations of a console is not good... But then again, SD Homebrew would pwn, SD is faster then your average DS flashkarts.. im guessing?

Of course you'd be able to buy a better camera, but will your camera play games? No.

MeowMix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1. a console will always have an exploit.. might be hard to find but will always have one.
2. the NDSP AND NDSL already is HB Enabled... so what difference does it make that the chances of the NDSI will be?
3. SD Homebrew will Pwn.. no more buying flash karts, although if SD is hacked, then we use a Custom firmware on the dsi which enables the use of flashkart homebrew, then while using flashkart homebrew, we use SD Card as cache, or extra storage if needed by the flashkart. you could have ur backups on the flashkart and even more on the sd.
4. If we have more ram, (atleast 32mb) and more processor power (about, 170mhz?) we will be able to emulate gba, it will be a little choppy, the PSP Has 222mhz processor and runs perfect while emulating gba, (well kinda a little choppy) but overclocking the psp to 266mhz the gba emulation runs fine.. so really if we get 222mhz on the dsi that will be good enough for gba. you cant really tell gba flickering unless playing pokemon and riding a bike on 222mhz but it hardly has an effect, so 222mhz wud be good.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ackers said:
To answer the topic, I think no.

I think they should have just made a whole new handheld all together rather than make another DS. The DSi sounds lame, looks like a prototype of the Lite and has a lot of new gimmicky features.

But, if I was looking to get a DS, I would get the DSi. Since I already own the Lite, I'm quite happy and don't think it's worth the upgrade yet.

Same here i don't think its worth it. Its not because of the money, its jsut because there is nothing REALLY special about it, maybe the extra on board RAM and the better web browser may come in handy, but everything else is just a useless-ish. Im not saying its a hunck of junck, its just not worth it right now. I believe Nintendo should have made something else which is completely different. Even though i know im gonna go out and buy it

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
MeowMix said:
1. a console will always have an exploit.. might be hard to find but will always have one.
2. the NDSP AND NDSL already is HB Enabled... so what difference does it make that the chances of the NDSI will be?
3. SD Homebrew will Pwn.. no more buying flash karts, although if SD is hacked, then we use a Custom firmware on the dsi which enables the use of flashkart homebrew, then while using flashkart homebrew, we use SD Card as cache, or extra storage if needed by the flashkart. you could have ur backups on the flashkart and even more on the sd.
4. If we have more ram, (atleast 32mb) and more processor power (about, 170mhz?) we will be able to emulate gba, it will be a little choppy, the PSP Has 222mhz processor and runs perfect while emulating gba, (well kinda a little choppy) but overclocking the psp to 266mhz the gba emulation runs fine.. so really if we get 222mhz on the dsi that will be good enough for gba. you cant really tell gba flickering unless playing pokemon and riding a bike on 222mhz but it hardly has an effect, so 222mhz wud be good.

Why does everyone keep talking about it having extra RAM and speculating that it's going to have a faster processer. It's just a DS, nothing more and maybe even a little less. For all those speculating about it having the extra ram think about it like this, if you didn't have to load Opera into the 4 meg of RAM that the DS has then it wouldn't need an expansion pack.

Therefore if Opera is built-in as a ROM chip then it doesn't need extra RAM because it doesn't use any of the DS' RAM to start with and has all 4 meg to access.

Everything about it that has changed specs has been released already.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
QUOTE said:
Why does everyone keep talking about it having extra RAM and speculating that it's going to have a faster processer. It's just a DS, nothing more and maybe even a little less. For all those speculating about it having the extra ram think about it like this, if you didn't have to load Opera into the 4 meg of RAM that the DS has then it wouldn't need an expansion pack.

Therefore if Opera is built-in as a ROM chip then it doesn't need extra RAM because it doesn't use any of the DS' RAM to start with and has all 4 meg to access.

Everything about it that has changed specs has been released already.

Wow, I never thought about it like that......so, there is actually bigger possibility that ti hasn't more RAM than it has?!

Well, I'm thinking about getting the black one when it's released, just because it's matte and looks really good to me....I like this new "uniform" look..

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Toni Plutonij said:
Wow, I never thought about it like that......so, there is actually bigger possibility that ti hasn't more RAM than it has?!

Well, I'm thinking about getting the black one when it's released, just because it's matte and looks really good to me....I like this new "uniform" look..

It might have more memory but I'm guessing it won't. They haven't announced anything about it and normally when Nintendo announce a machine with better specs they announce those better specs, all we've heard about has been the camera, screen and SD slot. Plus they know it's what DS fans are hungry for and would have jumped all over so announcing it had more memory and stuff would have made alot of sense. I'm totally guessing here though, it could have more RAM but there's alot of people who are already assuming it as fact so I wanted to point out why it might not.

Having slightly better tech specs might tempt me into buying it. I gotta admit I love the look of the black one as well. I even quite like the way they've integrated the camera into the top panel. It's just I play alot of GBA games so losing the port cuts out quite a bit of my gaming. If I have spare cash I'll pick one up but I couldn't replace my DS with it.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
TrolleyDave said:
Having slightly better tech specs might tempt me into buying it. I gotta admit I love the look of the black one as well. I even quite like the way they've integrated the camera into the top panel. It's just I play alot of GBA games so losing the port cuts out quite a bit of my gaming. If I have spare cash I'll pick one up but I couldn't replace my DS with it.
Yeah, I'm thinking exactly the same thing, if I'll have some money, I'll buy it..
But the thing is, I don't mind lacking of GBA slot, as I'm already playing all my GBA games on Micro (feeling of Micro is way better than NDS when it's about GBA gaming)..
But I don't think on replacing my current DS, I'll just get it to have it in my collection (I still have to get Phat too) and because it actually prettier than Lite..

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MeowMix said:
More Wii connectivity
Pictochat that has Voice and camera support.
More RAM (It will have more ram, since its going to have a built in webbrowser).
More Processing power
USB Port for add-ons.

Soo what do you think about the NDSI? Goodjob I didnt buy a NDSL And i stuck with the NDSP
Wait what? Since when did this happen? I didn't see anything on this! o.O

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sir-Fritz said:
Neither, why would a ds need usb anyway? To plug in a bigger webcam!!
Ah, no wonder then. I thought I missed something. =/

I'm still debating whether to get it or not. If I do import DSi, theres the risk of me not getting the full potential of it since I live in America so I probably won't get access to the Japanese DSiShop. (Unless you can access it through the NDS Browser.)

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dude...don't import it...it'll cost 100 more than actual price. I would suggest you just wait until we see what it can do, before you end up buying something that may not be highly valued to you. What if it ends up being just like the lite*with the flashcard* but with a camera and more ram for certain homebrews that you may never really use?

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
If the Shop works like the Wii, if you order a Japanese DSi you still access the Japanese store from it, no matter where you are.

I'm seriously considering buying DSis and shipping them to people for the price + small fee. Think there wold be some interest in that?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see the DSi as a sort of twisted version of the current DS.....let me see if I can get my point across without creating another wall of text.

No GBA port, but I'd be willing to bet that they will have GBA games available for download as pay-for-play DSware. They will enable this with the built-in browser, which will likely be essentially the same thing as the 2 cart Opera browser, but with download capabilities. And most likely the download capabilities will ONLY work with their DSware stuff. Any other download ability will be very limited if it has any besides DSware at all. The extra RAM in the system is likely 32meg......just enough to play a GBA game (that you will have to BUY), run the browser and for whatever other DSware stuff they come up with.

As far as any other peripherals that went in the GBA port for DS games (rumble pack, guitar grip...), Ninty just said screw you on those abilities.

Downloadable content may be another way to thwart flashcart users. You won't get the really good games on a cart, you will have to buy them as a download through their DSware malarky. Possibly, it may be Ninty's first step to eliminating needing stores to peddle their games, they'll just sell you downloads. If this becomes a reality, we can only hope the hackers will fix that for us.

The cameras are a gimmicky joke. Piss-poor, cheapo web-cam resolution that is useless to anyone with a REAL digital camera, or a cell phone with a camera, or a basic web-cam. I'm sure Ninty has "big plans" for those cameras, but I don't think it will be anything all that special to anyone but noobs.

The possibility that the firmware can be updated means that flashcarts will likely not work with the unit. Oh, they may "let" them work initially to sell DSi's, but some update will eventually come out to burn you later.

Of course, until REAL people get the DSi in their hands and start trying to hack it, this is all speculation.

Personally, I see no reason to get a DSi since I already own a DSlite. I don't think it will be worth it and I doubt much (if any) of their DSware stuff will interest me enough to change my mind about that.

Hmm....well it IS a slightly smaller wall-of-text anyway.
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."