the next step.....pointer needed if possible

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by billybob34, Jul 20, 2009.

Jul 20, 2009
  1. billybob34
    OP

Newcomer billybob34 Member

United Kingdom
    hi,

have been reading for quite a while, and have started the journey into homebrew...

have had a pal wii, with a wiikey installed which continues to work well. i never updated the wiikey so the trucha bug became important from smg onwards, i understand wiipatcher. brickblocker etc.

wii is currently at 3.1 but i would like to be able to play the upcoming and current motionplus games, yet leaving my wii setup largely as it is..

over the weekend i have added the homebrew channel through the twilight hack, and also added bootmii. nand recovery has been backed up and copies made.

right.... i guess what i would like to do is get to 4.0/4.1 with the trucha exploit still working. i obviously have no apps within the sd folder either.

i'm looking forward to reading the guides etc as i learn more, but would like a pointer to the latest "best direction forward" as i get the impression that this is fluid....and what looks like a good idea one month can be different the next.

my current thought is waninkokos 4.0 updater ?

many thanks for any help offered, and also to the myriad of postings i have read to get this far!!!.....i'm enjoying it more than playing games on my wii !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    Do a bit of googling for Trucha Bug Restorer. Hope this helps as it suports up to 4.1 apparently

3. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    Waninkoko's 4.1 updater does all the work, then trucha restorer.

4. billybob34
    OP

United Kingdom
    cheers for that....i was aware that you can still get the trucha working after 4.0, but its how i get there... ( to 4.0/4.1)

is it safer / easier to update thro the big N and work backwards....or go forward using waninkokos selective updating method..?

or do i just apply selective ios ( if possible ) to just get the motionplus games running?

this is my dilemma

5. billybob34
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks beegee our posts crossed....

if its ok to jump from 3.1 straight to 4.1 using the waninkoko updater ....thats the way for me....

many thanks for the confirmation....

i guess there is nothing likely to trip me up during this process? i can assure you i will be reading all posts regarding this updater now before i start. [​IMG]

6. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I would suggest first installing some form of cIOS since you are already on 3.1 and should have the trucha bug intact. Try running the cIOS rev13a installer first and just use whatever default IOS it's set to and do a network installation instead of wad installation if you have wifi.

That way you're sure to at least have the trucha bug in IOS249 even if you do an official update.

If you don't know how to run apps through the HBC. Make an "apps" folder on the root of your SD card and then folders within that folder named whatever the name of the apps you want are named and in each of those folders should be a .dol file for that app renamed to boot.dol.

Ex.) Say the drive letter is E for the SD card: E:\apps\cIOS Installer\boot.dol
    To make it look neater in the HBC, if the application comes with a meta.xml and icon.png file then put that in the folder along with the boot.dol and it will be named more clearly and have a picture icon in the HBC.

Then running Waninkoko's 4.0 updater should be fine to get you up to date in everything else. He also has a 4.1 updater he released as well.

7. billybob34
    OP

United Kingdom
    many thanks nabster!!!!

just been reading your thoughts on rev13a on another posting, and making sure IOS249 is available...

more reading for me, but i feel a little bit more confident of these little steps when i've had a more personal view to firm up the guides/posting on here...

so...many thanks again... [​IMG]