Gaming the next generation of media

purechaos996

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well we all know about DVD/CD but they can get damaged to eaisly and games the have like 3 DVD to install one game is just annoying. I just thought of what i beleive to be a good replacemnt for the disc. flash memory or a harddrive, but these wont be like any normal HDD/flash they will be encrypted so you can wrtie anything or see anything on it but the drive itself will emulate a disc drive so that you can boot the game which will be pre installed onto the HDD/flash so that you dont have to waste HDD space anymore.

NOTE: this is just my idea and a idea only its not probable that it will ever happen but tell me what you guys think

purechaos996

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, but the price of flash seems to be going down a bit but this could also be used for software and media like the SD music cards. maybe in the future only time will tell.

nicman000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yay, I get to make a sort of relevant post.
Do some research on holographic storage. It may not be the future but it's still awesome.

purechaos996

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah holographic storage is cool but the only problem with it is how big would it be? to replace the CD/DVD we would need something portable, thats what brought me back to the HDD/flash. until I relized that it would basically going back to the cartidge age. I guess the CD/DVD is the future then, at least untill we get something new.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Would be a bit slow wouldn't it ? Plus i can't begin to imagine the price....goes back to DVD's
sleep.gif

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Maz7006 said:
Would be a bit slow wouldn't it ? Plus i can't begin to imagine the price....goes back to DVD's
sleep.gif

No SSD (Solid-state drive) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive are faster then the normal HDD (Hard Disk Drive) but the price is alot more per gigabyte but OCZ do a 30GB SSD for around £94 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152601, GTA 4 for the PC was 13.87 GB and that was a large game, so two games for £90 is about the same price as games at the moment £45 per new game and you could fit two on each disk, but as time goes by the price per GB will go down that is why this could be used in the future for games you could connect the disk to your PC with a powered ESATA Connection, but in my opinion I think internet distribution will be the future like what Valve and the Steam platform are doing at the moment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr