the next generation of media

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by purechaos996, May 15, 2009.

May 15, 2009
  1. purechaos996
    OP

Member purechaos996 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    well we all know about DVD/CD but they can get damaged to eaisly and games the have like 3 DVD to install one game is just annoying. I just thought of what i beleive to be a good replacemnt for the disc. flash memory or a harddrive, but these wont be like any normal HDD/flash they will be encrypted so you can wrtie anything or see anything on it but the drive itself will emulate a disc drive so that you can boot the game which will be pre installed onto the HDD/flash so that you dont have to waste HDD space anymore.

NOTE: this is just my idea and a idea only its not probable that it will ever happen but tell me what you guys think

2. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
  3. purechaos996
    OP

United States
    yeah, but the price of flash seems to be going down a bit but this could also be used for software and media like the SD music cards. maybe in the future only time will tell.

4. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    So basically you are predicting a return to ROM cartridges?

5. purechaos996
    OP

United States
    I didnt think about it like that untill you said it lol but now that I read my post it does sound like that. umm I really dont know what to say now lol

6. nicman000

Newcomer nicman000 Advanced Member

Australia
    Yay, I get to make a sort of relevant post.
    Do some research on holographic storage. It may not be the future but it's still awesome.

7. purechaos996
    OP

United States
    yeah holographic storage is cool but the only problem with it is how big would it be? to replace the CD/DVD we would need something portable, thats what brought me back to the HDD/flash. until I relized that it would basically going back to the cartidge age. I guess the CD/DVD is the future then, at least untill we get something new.

8. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Would be a bit slow wouldn't it ? Plus i can't begin to imagine the price....goes back to DVD's [​IMG]

9. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    No SSD (Solid-state drive) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive are faster then the normal HDD (Hard Disk Drive) but the price is alot more per gigabyte but OCZ do a 30GB SSD for around £94 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152601, GTA 4 for the PC was 13.87 GB and that was a large game, so two games for £90 is about the same price as games at the moment £45 per new game and you could fit two on each disk, but as time goes by the price per GB will go down that is why this could be used in the future for games you could connect the disk to your PC with a powered ESATA Connection, but in my opinion I think internet distribution will be the future like what Valve and the Steam platform are doing at the moment.

10. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Eventually it'll switch I think, I remember reading somewhere that flash is steadily overtaking disc-based media for value. Somewhere in the region of 6 years away maybe?