Homebrew The newest update could be bad news for some

GilgameshArcher

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I still keep the same, getting games form N CDN and play 'em all on my exploited 3DS, and use my 2DS to play my originals legit onlines

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
As others said, this ONLY affects CDN downloads. Installing CIAs through FBI is safe for example. It DOES NOT send all your installed tickets to Nintendo and it DOES NOT check if your title is legal at startup. It really only checks if you have a valid ticket for the SPECIFIC title you are trying to download.
(I also don't think Nintendo will use this for banning to be honest - I bet they just want to restrict CDN access. But checking the Console ID through the ticket is entirely possible.)
So basically indirect installs are safe then, meaning CIAngel and Villain3DS are the way to go for getting games. However, are any games already installed affected? I have some titles I need to get the updates for for example...

nachuz

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
So basically indirect installs are safe then, meaning CIAngel and Villain3DS are the way to go for getting games. However, are any games already installed affected? I have some titles I need to get the updates for for example...
No they aren't
Games updates can be installed without any risk since physical games exists

Reactions: ThoD

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
So basically indirect installs are safe then
Yes. Keep in mind that when Nintendo activates the check, you won't be able to download content from the CDN anymore without using a valid ticket.

However, are any games already installed affected
I don't know how it is for updates, I guess it uses the common ticket from the update? Or the ticket from the game, but you can also download updates without downloading a game.
EDIT: Yeah uses the e-ticket from the update, check above (forgot about physical games)

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
No they aren't
Games updates can be installed without any risk since physical games exists
Yes. Keep in mind that when Nintendo activates the check, you won't be able to download content from the CDN anymore without using a valid ticket.

I don't know how it is for updates, I guess it uses the common ticket from the update? Or the ticket from the game, but you can also download updates without downloading a game.
EDIT: Yeah uses the e-ticket from the update, check above (forgot about physical games)
Alright, thanks for the replies, just was wondering about updates since they have different IDs than the games and all, but still are from the CDN. I'll just hurry and get everything I can only get from FreeShop for now and then stop using it.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
1.-Only .tik and freeShop from any region
2.-Yes, the update is serverside, 11.8 has the check and 11.7 doesn't and also can't access eshop, so Nintendo will know that if you connect without that check, you hacked your console
3.-The detect is only downloading
4.-Yes but with a BIG ban risk, not just for 11.7, for all versions(Included 11.8 of course)
how so ? On the old update Nintendo can't detect that you are using it. The point of this update is so that they can detect everybody using it who updated. They can't detect people on older firmwares using freeshop the same way as users on 11.8

nachuz

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
how so ? On the old update Nintendo can't detect that you are using it. The point of this update is so that they can detect everybody using it who updated. They can't detect people on older firmwares using freeshop the same way as users on 11.8
No, read the source, Nintendo detects if you legitimally owns a ticket or not, and just 11.8 answer to the servers with that, remember that in 3DS you need the lastest version to enter eshop, so if it doesn't answer, you are using freeshop and you get banned, if it answer that isn't legitimate, you get banned too

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No, read the source, Nintendo detects if you legitimally owns a ticket or not, and just 11.8 answer to the servers with that, remember that in 3DS you need the lastest version to enter eshop, so if it doesn't answer, you are using freeshop and you get banned, if it answer that isn't legitimate, you get banned too
wich they can only do if you updated to 11.8. I'm seeing everywhere 11.7 is fine. You need an update to tell the system to do something else that it wasn't doing before hence why the 11.8 update

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering - I have converted all my physical carts to digital format (.cia) via CFW. Would playing online with these games possibly trigger a ban under 11.8?

mokthraka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I don't care about being banned, should I just download the few games I want before it’s closed? I still have 11.7. I already downloaded a game last night, right after the update came out.

I am just paranoid... I know there is a 0% chance that any legal actions would be taken. The lawsuits against the rom sites has made me worry, even though hosting is a hell of a lot different than downloading.

nachuz

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
wich they can only do if you updated to 11.8. I'm seeing everywhere 11.7 is fine. You need an update to tell the system to do something else that it wasn't doing before hence why the 11.8 update
No, 11.7 doesn't give an answer about if a ticket is legit or not, and the only way to access eShop is on the lastest version, meaning that you are saying to Nintendo "I hacked my console to download games from your server"

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And if you don't update it never sends any tickets, and soon the cdn won't send any data without valid tickets.

foxtochop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
No, 11.7 doesn't give an answer about if a ticket is legit or not, and the only way to access eShop is on the lastest version, meaning that you are saying to Nintendo "I hacked my console to download games from your server"
So let's say I'm in 11.7.

I enable WiFi on my console. []

I connect to FreeShop to download a game. []

I turn off WiFi on my console. []

I start the game and play offline single player. []

After 20 minutes I decide to play Local Multiplayer with a friend.

I turn on WiFi (it is also needed for local communication between consoles). []

Comm between consoles starts and we play together. []

Mark with an X on each phase I fucked up and revealed to the server that my console is hacked and why.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Reactions: Sliter

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Fuck, great. I turned on freeshop today just to check something and by accident pressed Y or X which auto-started downloading some random game that was first on the list... I guess my ban is incoming now...

EDIT: I mean, people say that eShop is still accessible on 11.7, which may mean that I lucked out and it may just be seen as eShop access from (still supported) older version, but ugh...

Last edited by PewnyPL,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse