Homebrew The New Anti-Piracy Measures. I'm a Little Confused

Awesomekid956000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically I know the basics of why it was implemented, mainly to stop piracy (duh). However I'm a little confused with the recent freeshop takedown, is it just making it harder to get the freegames, or even if i get a pirated cia, will it ban me from playing online. I'm asking because all I looked up about the patch is it just made freeshop and ciangle pointless. I'd like a little more info on what it all did, so any links would also be helpful.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
All it did was add a check to the download process so that you have to submit a valid and properly signed ticket on your 3ds (which is system specific) for whatever you are trying to download before it will let you. Previously all you had to know was the title id and title key which can easily be shared.

In other words, they added a check to be sure you actually bought it on the 3ds system you are using to download it before they let you download it at all even though the downloaded data is encrypted. Thus, freeshop/ciangel/funkycia/funkeycia/etc no longer work for most things and it is back to the old way where someone has to buy the game, dump it to cia format with godmode9 (or whatever tool they want), and then upload it to the internet in one or more of the usual places (torrents, "that iso site", etc)

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
So will this effect my online play since I am going out of my way to download the cias off of torrents?

No. It only makes it so that freeshop/ciangel/villian3ds are useless. As for game updates that depends on how the game handles them. Games that use a separate file/title for updates can be updated normally. However some eshop only games "update" themselves by simply redownloading an updated version of the game which will fail, just like if you had used a "cryptofixed" cia.

Thus, it might be a good idea to start using cias that were converted from cart dumps rather than eshop dumps (assuming it is a game that was released as a physical cart) in the future.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok that helps a ton, makes it a lot simpler on my end. Thanks :D

Well back in the bad old days of 3ds piracy before there were things like freeshop or even a9lh/b9s it was necessary to download your games in cia format from various 3ds piracy sites and install them to emunand (your sysnand had to stay at either 9.2 or 4.5). However at the time it was impossible to update a New 3DS's emunand past firmware version 9.5 and have it work so for games that used the new 9.6 encryption someone with an o3ds would have to create a "cryptofixed" cia for it but because it wasn't properly encrypted (i.e. wasn't a "good" cia) updates would sometimes fail and redownloading from the eshop would always fail with such games.

So really 10 steps forward and 2 steps back compared to when I first started hacking my 3ds and pirating games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HoTuan @ HoTuan: how to mod switch ?