Homebrew The need to have space on the SD card to install an CFW?

BlueFox gui

SOMEONE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have for a while sd card with only 2GB but I was wondering how much space do I need to install a custom firmware to get access the eShop and install CIAs?

As I have little space would not install many games if you install some would be a small as Sonic the hedgehog 3D occupying 8mb Ecco the dolphin 3D 12mb , so the space I would need to install and when I buy a new sd card I could just pick up all the old SD files and put on the new SD ?

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have for a while sd card with only 2GB but I was wondering how much space do I need to install a custom firmware to get access the eShop and install CIAs?

As I have little space would not install many games if you install some would be a small as Sonic the hedgehog 3D occupying 8mb Ecco the dolphin 3D 12mb , so the space I would need to install and when I buy a new sd card I could just pick up all the old SD files and put on the new SD ?
you need 2gb for a custom firmware, but no space is required for pasta cfw, which allows writing directly to the nand.... So either use pasta, or (the better option) Get a 32gb sd card they're just better.

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country

In order to install a CFW, you need an Emunand of 1GB, so let's say, that if you have a "2gb" card with "real" (because almost every 2GB sd card is not the exact size) 1.86GB to put you an example, Emunand would take 1GB of that cake, leaving you with only a mere 860MB free + Update and applications it would probably (also) take you at least 10 or 20MB more, now with only 840MB.

With 840MB, you can only install games that are up to 420MB, because you need a game that is at least half of the Emunand, if you want more, check out the program Socket Punch, which allows you to install games without the need to double the size of a game.

P.D: You can also use Pasta, which doesn't consume anything, but it writes on the NAND, so is a very risky method to install and play games on it, you may even get a brick or not depending in how safe you play.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just get a 16, 32 or 64gb sd card. Once you get it save all the files of your old sd card to your pc and copy them to the new one, with this you will be ready to setup a emunand and install a lot of games :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool