The name of the PS3 Motion Controller is "GEM"?

Vidboy10

Tsardom
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
motioncontroller_1260386672.jpg

QUOTE said:
US, December 10, 2009 - The PlayStation 3 motion controller still needs a name. Sony has been quiet on all fronts about the title since its reveal at this past E3 show. But a conference held in New York City this morning with Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello might have spoiled Sony's surprise.

When talking about console pricing and innovation at the UBS 37th Annual Global Media Conference, Riccitiello briefly mentions the two upcoming motion controllers set for release in 2010.

"In the coming year, both Sony and Microsoft have announced new controllers. Motion sensor controls, Natal and Gem, these are likely to bring new consumers into the marketplace," he said.

Now, it's possible Riccitiello simply misspoke, so we're still wondering how legitimate this is. He may have also been referring to the glowing ball at the end of the remote, and not the entire controller itself. It may also be an acronym, G.E.M., or something along those lines.

Or maybe he was talking about the Jem and the Holograms television cartoon show from the mid 80's, but that would be too awesome.

When asked about Riccitiello's comment, Sony told IGN, "No official name for the PlayStation motion controller has been announced." Electronic Arts, meanwhile, said they were unable to confirm the accuracy of his remarks at this time.

What do you think? Does 'Gem' fit the bill?
Source

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Apparently no one knows how to read links so i'll quote.
QUOTE said:
Sony: "Gem" Was A Prototype Name For PS3 Motion Controller

Following up on reports that EA chief John Riccitiello let slip the name of Sony's upcoming PlayStation 3 motion controller, a Sony spokesperson told Kotaku that "Gem" isn't necessarily the device's real name.

The term "Gem" was "an early code name for the product," according to Sony Computer Entertainment of America director of communications Patrick Seybold. "We haven't announced final name at this point."

Yesterday morning, EA's Riccitiello told a gathering of investment analysts in New York that he expected impressive things from Microsoft and Sony's motion control technologies, referring to them as Natal and what sounded like the word "Gem."

Microsoft has been public since E3 that its hands-free "Project Natal" name is a codename for its device. Sony, which has announced plans to launch their wand-like device in the spring of next year — and, unlike Microsoft, has even begun announcing software support for it — has publicly named the set-up as nothing more specific than the PS3 motion controller.

This fall, at a different investors conference in New York than the one Riccitiello spoke at, Kotaku witnessed Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot dub the controller the MoCon, an apparent simplification of the term "Motion Controller."

While no name has been made final and official just yet, the Sony statement this morning does leave open the chance that Gem could be the final name after all. But it's clearly not the official name today.

outgum

Pokemanz Master
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
lol Gem...
I like how everyone is following the wii and going motion sensored, I think, when they get them, good games it invest in with them, will by FPS, And have a gun attachment or whatever, that would be good, Like a free roaming time crisis even XD

Egonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Cablephish said:
If they take what Nintendo did, and make it better, I'm definitely alright with this. Chances are that's what it'll be anyway.
LOL, I'd still rather have a stylish white WiiMote than a glowing Magic Wand.
And about that it's more responsive etc.: Wii is (surely after 3 years) known as the casual console. PS3 is not and it just doesn't have the looks nor the games for that.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder what Nintendo will come up with next?
Touch Screen? Done
Motion Sensors? Done

MIYAMOTO: I KNOW LETS ADD AN ANALOG NUB!

Mr.Mysterio

Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Raika said:
Touch Screen? Done
Motion Sensors? Done

The N64 and the Gamecube had analog sticks.The Wii classic controller also have them.

Hatsu

Someone's been killing, eh?
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mr.Mysterio said:
Raika said:
Touch Screen? Done
Motion Sensors? Done

The N64 and the Gamecube had analog sticks.The Wii classic controller also have them.

Oh noes!!!!1 it's already been done!
smileipb2.png

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cablephish said:
If they take what Nintendo did, and make it better, I'm definitely alright with this. Chances are that's what it'll be anyway.

True, but i mean what on earth could you use it for ?

I'd rather stick to a wii with this motion sensor stuff.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Mr.Mysterio said:
Raika said:
Touch Screen? Done
Motion Sensors? Done

Crap, I forgot about that... Then what's next? I can't imagine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all