Hardware The Mystery of the IPS Screens Debunked!

Ballist1x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My new 3ds hyrule has TN top and possibly IPS bottom. I'm gutted:/ I have another 7 days to decide to return it or after that try and sell it if I can find another xl with IPS top screen and low firmware.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What's next, gonna whine about how everyone calls Kibibytes "Kilobytes"?
Using KB when they really mean KiB?

Communication is about knowing what everyone is talking about. As long as everyone knows what the heck you're talking about, the need for perfectly accurate terminology is moot.
Microsoft's silly habit of using KB to mean KiB is a pet peeve of mine, simply because computer illiterate people can't tell the difference between Kilo and Kibi, and then they think that SD Card manufacturers are swindling them or something stupid like that. No, your 64 GB SD Card is 64 GB - it's just that Windows is a lying sack of monkeys, and mislabels 59.9 GiB as GB.

But if Nintendo call their panels IPS and TN, it stands to reason that - if they're not the exact same thing, they're custom-built and based heavily off those standards - so heavily that you can just call them the same thing.
Unless the complainer is wrong, and they are IPS and TN. It just really doesn't matter... unless maybe you're doing a screen swap job.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize if you think I don't believe you, but can you take a picture of your 3DS on an extreme viewing angle?
To me this looks like IPS
20160808_214541.jpg

The colors don't look messed up or anything

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My camera sucks, so that's why the image looks blurry on one side

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't distinguish any of them up until 8. so that means it's TN then?
No, on TN screen the squares are visible starting from 4 and on ips, it's starting from 8. See this pic of my TN on the left and IPS on the right.
OkVHco8h.jpg

BUT, it looks like the test doesn't work on o3ds. I tried it just now. I know for a fact my o3ds is TN just by looking at it and it isn't visible until 8...

uJqIfwhh.jpg

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, on TN screen the squares are visible starting from 4 and on ips, it's starting from 8. See this pic of my TN on the left and IPS on the right.
OkVHco8h.jpg

BUT, it looks like the test doesn't work on o3ds. I tried it just now. I know for a fact my o3ds is TN just by looking at it and it isn't visible until 8...

uJqIfwhh.jpg
So I do have IPS then

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)