Rice-megatron Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I haven't played much of the Mother series, in fact I have only played a few hours of the first part. However, in that short time and in what I saw from Mother 3 so far, it heavily reminded me of Pokemon. The kind of realistic style, the start at your home you can come back to, the cities and landscape between them, even the crazy enemies somewhat resemble Pokemon. Obviously, Mother was the earlier game. So it looks like Pokemon is pretty much a direct copy of Mother, with monster collecting tacked on. Does anyone feel similarly? I'd like to hear some thoughts about the subject from people who know the Mother series better than I do. Also, are there other games with a similar style?

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even know the translation was complete...too bad I sold my Supercard DS...
frown.gif

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I haven't played much of the Mother series, in fact I have only played a few hours of the first part. However, in that shot time and in what I saw from Mother 3 so far, it heavily reminded me of Pokemon. The kind of realistic style, the start at your home you can come back to, the cities and landscape between them, even the crazy enemies somewhat resemble Pokemon. Obviously, Mother was the earlier game. So it looks like Pokemon is pretty much a direct copy of Mother, with monster collecting tacked on. Does anyone feel similarly? I'd like to hear some thoughts about the subject from people who know the Mother series better than I do. Also, are there other games with a similar style?
You obviously have not played mother2, or earthbound. It's in English, play it, you'll love it.

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah well... you can play second because they have no connection to each other , except maybe similiar hero sprite... which kind of resembles hero's sprite from pokemon red... or is it just me ? (Pokemon: Mother and Pokemon: Father editions anyone ?
tongue.gif
)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah to me they aren't really the same, never played Mother 3 though so dunno if that game is similar but the first two is a no no.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Pokemon isn't a clone of Mother, so much is clear. However I'd say that it is very likely inspired by the Mother series. Or are there any other games with a similar style that predate Pokemon?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol