Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Source

QUOTE said:
I listed many key “Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars” features in my preview of the game yesterday. And while few things can top the DS’ newfound ability to talk like a “GTA” pedestrian (see the third-to-last bullet point in yesterday’s piece), the “GTA CW” feature that most impressed me gets a standalone post right here.

Like several DS games before it, “Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars” will have Wi-Fi support. Rockstar Games isn’t ready to detail that support yet. Company representatives at a hands-on demo I was provided this week aren’t saying, for example, how the game’s multiplayer modes will work and whether they involve short-range wireless play or over-the-Internet play or what.

But what Rockstar reps did make clear is that ‘GTA: Chinatown Wars” is designed to be a game worth trading Nintendo Friend Codes for, maybe for competing against each other, maybe for swapping scores in the games’ gold-silver-bronze-ranked missions… something.

Amidst all of that, the Rockstar folks did tell me about one tantalizing feature that I’ve since decided more games would benefit from: the ability to send gamers mapped waypoints over Wi-Fi. The implications are grand and could revolutionize the way gamers seek and get help for games they’re stuck in.

Here’s how the feature might work: the lower DS screen in “Chinatown Wars” displays a mini-map. Tapping on it causes the entire lower screen to render a draggable, zooomed-in road map of the game’s Liberty City. Tapping on any location on that map wil mark a waypoint. On the map, the game will draw the shortest legal path to that destination. That’s as much as I saw. What I didn’t see is how this feature would be brought online, though it was explained to me: simply, a gamer can connect with a friend over Wi-Fi and then send that waypoint data to a friend’s DS.

Imagine being stuck in any game and not knowing where to go next or not knowing where some great hidden item is. Typically, your options to extricate yourself from the jam would involve: logging onto GameFAQs, stumbling through an IM conversation with a friend to figure out what you missed, or having another friend take the controller in her hands and get you to the spot herself.

“Chinatown Wars” allows for something different. Forget all those other ways of getting help. If you don’t know where to go in the game and we’re DS friends, it seems that I’ll be able to mark a waypoint in my copy of the game and zap it to your copy of the game. What better help could I possibly provide?

Imagine, readers, if you could do that for me, sending map markers into my copies of my games. You could put a mark on my “Fallout 3” map to tell me where I need to go to get some cool new item. You could send me a marker for a spot in “Burnout” where you think I can make a good stunt run.

If Rockstar does deliver this feature as they described it to me, then what they’re providing may radically change the way we help each other play games. They’ll be improving gaming lives everywhere.

“Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars” ships for the Nintendo DS on March 17.

looks like this is shaping up to be an early Game of the Year contender

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think this might turn out to be my fave GTA yet! But waypoints have been done before in GTA IV and the guy makes it seem like they're a complete revolution.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just my two-cents worth:

I'm really excited about Chinatown Wars, but it's my opinion that when "reporting" on someone else's report, you should just post a short quote and then the link (which you did, of course, post) to the full story. Someone put some time and effort into writing up that blurb about the game, and well, their page should get the hit if folks are interested in the full story. I know GBATemp isn't an official gaming site, but still, we're a very big community, and I think a little etiquette will go a long way.

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
irpacynot said:
Just my two-cents worth:

I'm really excited about Chinatown Wars, but it's my opinion that when "reporting" on someone else's report, you should just post a short quote and then the link (which you did, of course, post) to the full story. Someone put some time and effort into writing up that blurb about the game, and well, their page should get the hit if folks are interested in the full story. I know GBATemp isn't an official gaming site, but still, we're a very big community, and I think a little etiquette will go a long way.
if you looked at part 1 of his blog post. he said there was more coming today. i just posted it when i saw it up and hadrian wasnt around to post the follow up.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I must admit it: I've never been this hyped for a GTA game. I mean, they are fun and all, but I usually get bored of the missions and start driving around for leisure. But, man, this game looks great.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This sounds exactly like Nintendo's patent that was talked about previously that appeared to be for a Legend of Zelda game. That one was a way to connect to NWC and watch a video of someone solving a puzzle you may be stuck at.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
imz said:
so will there be multiplayer over wi-fi?
in what form, it hasn't been specified yet. but yeah, this game is lookin more and more amazing
yaynds.gif

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Man, if they add multiplayer, this would really blow my mind off..I mean, it looks too good to be true as is, I really like the artstyle and graphics (from what I've seen), and I love the fact that they are really working hard on this, it's not just another port or rushed game, but full-GTA with unique features!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1