Gaming The most evil things you've done with technology: Post 'em!

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this is evil, but I had a special app on my Laptop and iPad Mini that effectively blocks people from accessing the internet. I would use it when my sister would get mad at her Splatoon game or when she would try uploading stuff on our 20 kilobyte upload speed WiFi.

I don't use them unless I need to access something nowadays though.

I also attempted to use said app to detect all of the devices on my old school's WiFi. The list showed thousands of devices. I didn't mess with any though since it probably would have caused my device to crash or overheat.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Which router or model allows you to do something like that? I usually hear of modems that throttle devices, not actually give priority to specific devices.

I use mainly Linksys Wireless routers, but it might apply to all sorts of ones. I also have them installed with CFW, because we all like Homebrew of course, using DD-WRT, TomatoUSB, or OpenWRT, to give me additional features that may not be found in OFW.

Reactions: TheMCNerd2017

TheMCNerd2017

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use mainly Linksys Wireless routers, but it might apply to all sorts of ones. I also have them installed with CFW, because we all like Homebrew of course, using DD-WRT, TomatoUSB, or OpenWRT, to give me additional features that may not be found in OFW.
That's pretty neat. I've not heard of many people installing CFW on their Routers. I assume that you purchase those Routers yourself? Or are they leased out by the ISP?

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: TheMCNerd2017

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I reboot the router from my phone when my gf's son is real loud at night when she's in bed, but I think it is justified.

I made scripts in the past to exponentially fill hard drives and sent it to an ex. I also made a boot disk with a debug script to wipe the boot sectors/fat of all available hard drives in a Windows/*nix PC for a guy I knew years ago. Learned a bit of x86 ASM with that one. I would ICMP flood people being dicks on IRC offline in dialup days. I accidentally helped in bringing a work email server down via chatting back in the day and not removing the replied to text.

ginger_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My dad calls me a computer monster because all PCs and laptops I work with usually break/get some bugs/turn off without a reason.
Remember when I studied at school and had computer science classes, my classmates had a silly joke - they pressed a button combination to turn over your screen picture.

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Done loads of crap of this kind through the years, but the best might be one from my secondary school years. A friend moved to another town, and when visiting him, we found out that the night lighting of the police station and the surrounding park was controlled by an easily accessible CDS cell. When it's dark outside, the light turns on, when it's bright the light turns off. Normally you set a delay on those to avoid trigging by passing cars etc, but there they had no delay, they had simply put it in a piece of pipe, with the opening pointing upwards.

Anyways, we soldered together an astable flip-flop circuit that controlled a LED. 5 seconds on, 5 seconds off, and so on. Hid it all in the pipe and plugged the opening. The result was of course that the whole police station and the park blinked in step with the flip-flop, and did so for the most of the next day until they found out why :D

Oh, one more. I'm the first engineer on a quite large passenger ship nowadays. One of the second mates is kind of cocky, and the perfect target for pranks. Got one of those electronic door bells with RF connection between the button and the bell. Set the signal on the bell unit to angry dog bark, and hid it in the inner roof of his cabin, right above the bed, while he was on watch. Guess you guys can figure out the rest :D "Where's the fucking dog??? Anyone seen it??? I'm gonna kill it!!!" :D

Edit: And a last one... used to work on another ship a bunch of years ago. It was chartered out for 5 years to go in the Mediterranean with an Italian crew. We didn't hand it over before leaving a little present though, consisting of a push button, a knob, two lamps, an extremely annoying summer, a time relay, and a bunch of blind cables going to one of the cable harnesses, everything neatly installed in one of the control cabinets in the ECR.

Every other week the time relay was energized, the summer went off, and the red "ALARM" lamp was lit. To reset it, you had to turn the knob and push the button, then the green "NORMAL" lamp was lit again, and the summer stopped, for another two weeks or so, before going off again. It was labeled ABNORMALITY ALARM. We told them we had no idea what it was, but that it went off now and then, and showed them how to reset it.

Best thing, they didn't figure it out in all those years, it was still there and working when we got the ship back :D

Last edited by kaputnik,

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually, I'm gonna have to retract my previous post. the most evil thing i did with technology was as follows: my buddies laptop was slower than molasses in a canadian blizzard. so, he called me up and asked how to fix it. i told him to do the following: open cmd.exe as an admin. then type rd C:Vs /q, then restart. he did. hasn't spoken to me since then, as he didn't realize I had made him delete system 32. so... yeah. also, don't try this at home kiddos.
why it always pays to have a recovery disk/usb evilist thing I want to do is erase my ex's HDD fully including recovery partition remotely (seeing she's in BC and I'm USA) the only remotely evil thing i did tech wise was back in the 90's my mom had a Macintosh Performa 6200CD and had a built in "childproof" program called at ease i cracked my mom's account, threw away at ease and for the icing on the cake changed her password boy was she pissed when she found out

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just remembered some more fun things I would do.

In high school, a guy I knew that was a Mac fanboy had brought in a program that would execute an AppleScript sent to a Mac over the network. I helped him copy it to all the Macs in the library and memorized the addresses of each machine. At first, I would send simple dialog popups with weird text that would end after being dismissed. But one day we were working on some long papers as a class and there was this real bitchy girl in it. After quite a while into writing, I sent a script to display a pop-up (and quack) 5000 times in a loop. After she had dismissed it many times, the teacher had heard enough quacks and told her she had to reboot — losing her whole paper in the process. Save early and often! :rofl2:

I would take a screenshot of a Windows desktop and set the wallpaper to it, hide the icons and the Start bar and make people go nuts trying to figure out wtf was going on with their mouse. For extra fun, try flipping/rotating the wallpaper. :D

Also, moving and locking the Start bar would cause unease of a lot of users for some reason.

Reactions: Mythical

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I once rickrolled my library using a rooted phone app, weird thing is it didn't happen on all computers.
I had a Final that was 70% of my grade and took a slide from each of the other advance placement classes powerpoints mixed up some words and turned it in. Got a 98% best in the class.
I once set my computer labs computers to have sticky keys (like half of em).
I also fiddled around with the teachers files because they had shit security (a common drive with everything accessible form every computer) so when I was feeling stressed about a test or when I was late on a project I could find the answers or hide the projects folder for shits and giggles (I'd place it back later on)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on