The Most Epic Card Game

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone likes these types of videos, but I find them hilarious. Watch at least 2 minutes before passsing judgement
smile.gif

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, this deserves a sit on the Youtube Gold thread!
Thanks for some funny 5 minutes while watching Friends Linki.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you play it? If not. don't comment.

I played it competitively from its release up till the '06 Seattle SJC.
So then tell me what the problem is with a card game that has existed for over 12 years now?
From that statement, I can assume you don't play on a competitive level, and wouldn't be aware of this, but the game is flawed by design. When you look at other TCGs, most of the successful ones give every single card a relevant cost. While some cards in the Yugioh TCG do have additional costs (discarding, tributing, whatnot), it just doesn't make up for the lack of that sort of cost system. This leads to cards which became "staples" (used in almost every deck), and as time went on, due to this fundamental flaw in the system, more cards have been added to that pool of staples. Basically, this created a meta where almost every other game is a mirror match against people with identical decks, and once that happens theres hardly more strategy involved than picking up a deck of standard 52 cards and playing war.

All that being said, you probably play casually and whatnot, so you wouldn't care in the least about any of this. Thats the reason the game is still around (albeit dying). Most people just watch the animu or play at the lunch table and the competitive meta doesn't really affect them at all.

And just for fact's sake, its been 8 years since the game originally came out in Japan.

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All card games have "cookie cutter" decks that exist, but it's usually the people without these types of decks who come out on top. Then the players decks who did really good are copied by people who don't know how to come up with their own strategies. These decks change all the time, and there are usually many different cookie cutter decks being used at the same time.

And yes I do not, at this time, play competitively. but I did in the past.

And what makes you think the game is dying? I am pretty sure you might only think this because you don't play anymore so you don't see it as much as you used too. What proof do you have of this?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All card games have "cookie cutter" decks that exist
Yes, but some games have a much higher percentage than others, such as this one, where it got to the point where virtually the entire meta was 2 decks.

QUOTE said:
but it's usually the people without these types of decks who come out on top. Then the players deck who did really good are copied by people who don't know how to come up with their own strategies.
If by "usually", you mean maybe 1 person out of X00 per SJC, sure.

QUOTE said:
These decks change all the time, and there are usually many different cookie cutter decks being used at the same time.
Between '05 and '06 the average CC deck changed by about 5 cards.

And what makes you think the game is dying? I am pretty sure you might only think this because you don't play anymore so you don't see it as much as you used too. What proof do you have of this?
I don't have any "proof", but there are several factors I based this conclusion on.

1. Monthly regionals had ceased in the Seattle area.

2. My local tourney was reduced to pretty much 6 people.

3. Only one member of my team still plays Yugioh actively, and we compete at pretty much every big event for any of the major TCGs.

I will admit, this is all based on what I saw only up till the end of '06, as I've been out since then, but from what I've heard it hasn't changed much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr