The Monon Color - A new video game console from China

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by Zhongtiao1, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Zhongtiao1
    OP

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    NOTE: This is a repost of my original post on Dingoonity here

I was browsing the Aliexpress video game console section the other day and found this: Edit: link dead

[​IMG]

I thought nothing of it, thinking that it was just another emulation machine like other pvp machines, until today when I decided (because I was bored) to look into it.

I only managed to find one website about it: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/3501829953

From what I found out, it is made by a company called M&D.

It has a 320x240 TFT screen and 3-5 hours of battery life. I think it uses AA batteries, but I don't know for sure as neither the post above nor the listing say.

The post above says that the quality is good and that it doesn't feel like a knock-off console. Also, the graphics are apparently on par with the GBC/GBA but the gameplay feels like an old java phone game. The cartridges are slightly thicker than a GBA cartridge and slightly shorter.

The company (M&D) supposedly has said they will publish a new game every month.

The baidu post above is dated 2015, but the picture in the listing says copyright 2016 (could the listing be a more powerful version?)

It gives a whole bunch of games on the back:

[​IMG]

I bought one and it should be here within twenty days. There are currently over 9,000 left if you want to get one yourself ;) (Also, I hope that guy's hands are tiny otherwise it's going to be a huge box)

Last edited by Zhongtiao1, Jul 31, 2017
    B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N likes this.
  2. Zhongtiao1
    OP

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
  3. Todderbert

Todderbert Korg Fanboy

GBAtemp Patron
    Todderbert is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 30, 2009
    United States
    Illinois
    Alot of hard angles on the case design, I wonder if it handles well? Crazy systems.B-)

4. Chickenhunterx

Chickenhunterx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2015
    Canada
    I watched a couple of the videos seems alright but I really like the shape of it and I can't help but wonder how well shoving the guts of a gba into one would work out

5. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Is that a red Z Saber I see?

6. Zhongtiao1
    OP

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    Yeah, I wonder if it bites into your hands as you play or not.

I like the design they went with except for the dpad. It looks terrible. It'd be interesting to see if GBA internals would work, the problem I see is that it uses 3 AA Batteries.

7. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Good at making things, terrible at designing them.

8. SANIC

SANIC GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    I noticed that too lol

9. Zhongtiao1
    OP

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    This is a repost of my post on dingoonity

My Monon Color arrived Saturday and I have been using it since.

[​IMG]

It has start, select, A, B, L, and R buttons and a D-Pad. The speakers are in the front where the black lines are next to the select and start buttons.

On the back, there is nothing except for the cartridge slot and the battery case. It takes three AA batteries.

[​IMG]

In the package I got, it came with four games (from left to right), one fighting, two puzzle, and one "action" game.

[​IMG]

The first game is an impossible fighting game. The enemies are stacked against you even on the easiest level. I've only managed to beat the AI once and it felt like an accident.

[​IMG]

The next game is a bejeweled-like game where, while holding the A button you match multiple of the same color together to create matches. Then an attack is sent against the computer.

[​IMG]

The third game is bejeweled. I have probably played it the most as there is a lot of satisfaction when you beat a hard enemy. There is a lot of grinding needed in this game to build up your level to beat the next enemies, but it is fun.

[​IMG]

The final game, the "action" game is a side-scrolling beat 'em up. B is the special move which can be changed by pressing L or R.

[​IMG]

In my opinion, the games from worst to best are, the fighting game, the bejeweled-like puzzle game, the bejeweled clone, the beat 'em up.

The select button does not select anything. It just changes the brightness, the sound, and the music volume.

[​IMG]

Here are some comparison pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other notes:

Start just pauses the game
    Sound quality is okay, but volume is great.
    Brightness is great as well
    No english feature
    It is constantly referred to as the moonoon color in the instructions.

10. Todderbert

Todderbert Korg Fanboy

GBAtemp Patron
    Todderbert is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 30, 2009
    United States
    Illinois
    Now that's a stacked D-Pad! Still looks uncomfortable to hold.

11. Zhongtiao1
    OP

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    Still better than the game.com ;)