Hacking The Mega List of R4 Clones

Z

Zorua

A Gay Little Catboy said:
AlanJohn said:
AlanJohn said:
BTW R4-pro is not a clone of R4iDSN, since it can't run the Official wood r4 for that cart.
I still can't understand what clone it is, it even works with AKAIO, WOOD M3, Catboy's quadboot thingy, and YSmenu (Well... Almost...).
Wait a second, what R4 Clone works with The Quad-Boot?
R4-pro, but it can't load any roms, though.
So it's a fake M3 Card
unsure.gif

No, it's supposedly an Acekard 2 clone but the amount of kernels it runs is just amazing...

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Zorua said:
AlanJohn said:
AlanJohn said:
BTW R4-pro is not a clone of R4iDSN, since it can't run the Official wood r4 for that cart.
I still can't understand what clone it is, it even works with AKAIO, WOOD M3, Catboy's quadboot thingy, and YSmenu (Well... Almost...).
So it's a fake M3 Card
unsure.gif

No, it's supposedly an Acekard 2 clone but the amount of kernels it runs is just amazing...
blink.gif
I should pick one up for myself

Z

Zorua

Zorua said:
AlanJohn said:
AlanJohn said:
So it's a fake M3 Card
unsure.gif

blink.gif

LOL, don't because only the official firmware and a modified version of wood can run games.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
blink.gif
I won't do that.
Although it works with a lot of firmwares, it still lacks auto-dldi patching.
The worst part is that the team didn't gave me the .dldi for the cart so I could patch manually, instead they gave me an Acekard2i dldi.
blink.gif

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Zorua said:
LOL, don't because only the official firmware and a modified version of wood can run games.
Damn and here I thought I found a flashcard that could satisfy my bazaar need to run an ungodly amount of firmwares on one card. I guess I just need to stick with my normal R4

Clookster

Your Clookster
Banned
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
You forgot R4 Gold --> r4ids.com (3DS)

Both Acekard-R4-cards, Gold & Ultra, use a special version of Akaio 1.8.6a.

Both Acekard-R4-cards get irregular support through Akaio since december 2010.

Both cost ~6 Euros ($ 8-9).

---

Concerning Gold Cn / DSN: Gold Cn is a replica of R4 Ultra, but DSN is a replica of Acekard. You can see that at the firmware and how the first "Loading" screen appears.

Since the Gold Cn team claims that their original website got stolen etc pp, I'd recommend to call it a replica and not a OCM.

If they scan a contract with Team Acekard, this can change, but untill they don't have anything but claim that Team Acekard has stolen their webpage, it's a replica, I think...

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
AlanJohn said:

if a card runs a firmware is not a valid way to tell what it might be a clone of. akaio, for example, has code inserted to stop its execution on clones. we spent a great deal of time tracking down clones so that we could make sure the encrypted loaders would not work on them. its very easy for YWG to do the same thing, but to be honest i never asked him if he did.

if a card can run akaio it is probably a clone of the r4 ultra or based on the 2i actel chip design that acekard sold to 3rd party developers a few years back.

QUOTEBoth Acekard-R4-cards get irregular support through Akaio since december 2010.

there was a 1-off build of akaio that runs on the r4 ultra. this buid was requested by team acekard as its their card and they support it. norm was never contracted to make updates for it. so when you say that r4 cards get regular updates did you mean with the wood firmware?

-another world

Clookster

Your Clookster
Banned
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Another World said:
AlanJohn said:

if a card runs a firmware is not a valid way to tell what it might be a clone of. akaio, for example, has code inserted to stop its execution on clones. we spent a great deal of time tracking down clones so that we could make sure the encrypted loaders would not work on them. its very easy for YWG to do the same thing, but to be honest i never asked him if he did.

if a card can run akaio it is probably a clone of the r4 ultra or based on the 2i actel chip design that acekard sold to 3rd party developers a few years back.

QUOTEBoth Acekard-R4-cards get irregular support through Akaio since december 2010.

there was a 1-off build of akaio that runs on the r4 ultra. this buid was requested by team acekard as its their card and they support it. norm was never contracted to make updates for it. so when you say that r4 cards get regular updates did you mean with the wood firmware?

-another world

What?

Right now, both budget cards made and produced by Team Acekard work fine with Akaio 1.8.6a

They developed the Acekard hardware. They developed the Acekard GUI. It's their child.

They can do whatever they want. It's their stuff.

--

Concerning this Wood / R4 NEW (DSN) stuff: Give proof to the community that former freelancers from Team Acekard / Akaio / Bootloader / Whatever / are seriosusly working on this. And please explain why it's not possible to give this shit a better name than "Gold" or "New".

People are interested in this. And it's doing well so far. But we have serious doubts if we can trust this new clone family of cards.

And what are we taling about here? 95% of all flash cards are DSTT cards. "r4i-sdhc.com" is the most sold flash card of all times. If people need an "R4", they'll buy an DSTT. This Ultra crap is just some fun for Akaio hardcore fans.

A homebrew developer should be proud that his development is popular and got copied.

I never made a single buck with my contacts with "the scene". I'm not here to make cash. If someone needs cash: Batter call McDonald's for a job opportunity.

tranfeer

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
For the card users, the most important thing is that the team behind the card should provide continual updating of the kernel.
Just download the latest kernel and enjoy yourself with games released recently.
Care about nothting more.Don't you think so?

floraluca

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
tranfeer said:
For the card users, the most important thing is that the team behind the card should provide continual updating of the kernel.
Just download the latest kernel and enjoy yourself with games released recently.

you are 100 hundred percent on the money

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
floraluca said:
tranfeer said:

so n5 users should not care that the n5 will brick the nds? its ridiculous to say that a clone should only be judged based on its firmware/loader support. some clones are so poorly made that the problems are not with the software or compatibility. you would be wise to remember that.

-another world

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Another World said:
floraluca said:
tranfeer said:

so n5 users should not care that the n5 will brick the nds? its ridiculous to say that a clone should only be judged based on its firmware/loader support. some clones are so poorly made that the problems are not with the software or compatibility. you would be wise to remember that.

-another world

You, good sire, are a genius.

Seeing as a lot of people like to forget this, I'm adding this.

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
This is a great thread, with a heap of clones, most I never heard of, with, of course more to come. However in the newly added recommend list, I believe the R4i Ultra should be added, as it is a decent clone made by team Acekard, with AKAIO. Also maybe the R4i SDHC (or not?).

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
The yellow's hard to read... since you need multiple markers in your key, why not use letters and colors in combination?

W! = Wood.
Y! = YSMenu confirmed.
Y? = YSmenu likely, not confirmed.
O! = Other firmwares.
N = Other firmwares locked out.
??? = Compatibility untested.

I'll just get rid of the yellow and replace that with, say, brown. If the situation warrants it I might add a small note like "varied compatibility" etc.

I'll improve the key when there's a lot more carts that are completely fucked up such as the R4-pro.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
Evo.lve said:
Rydian said:
The yellow's hard to read... since you need multiple markers in your key, why not use letters and colors in combination?

W! = Wood.
Y! = YSMenu confirmed.
Y? = YSmenu likely, not confirmed.
O! = Other firmwares.
N = Other firmwares locked out.
??? = Compatibility untested.

I'll just get rid of the yellow and replace that with, say, brown. If the situation warrants it I might add a small note like "varied compatibility" etc.

I'll improve the key when there's a lot more carts that are completely fucked up such as the R4-pro.
Just to point out.
The R4-pro team DOES support the cart, it even makes a special WOOD firmware.
Look at the website. IN ENGLISH.
And yes, it is f*cked up in most ways, but the kernel support is simply amazing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?