• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The media is creating mass hysteria over the Coronavirus.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 44,636
  • Replies 504
  • Likes 9

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Trump blabbing away opinions that werent meant for the press, and a few national secrets:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/09/politics/bob-woodward-rage-book-trump-coronavirus/index.html
Erm...Trump talking to Bob Woodward is about as much "talking to the press" as you can possibly get.

But I'll admit I'm honestly surprised he not only openly told what everyone already knew (1) but that he wilfully let it be audio-taped by one of the reporters that brought down Nixon...in election year.

What's next...Trump openly admitting he wanted the virus to spread because that would make Putin happy? :rolleyes:

Anyhow: those that parotted Trump's public statements that the corona virus was a democrat hoax can now give up and admit they were trolled.

(1): okay, okay...not everyone. Intelligence had told the press that they informed the president about covid after Trump claimed that "nobody could know how bad it would become". But that sort of news was touted as "a democrat hoax", so Trump's fanboys ignored it.

Reactions: IncredulousP

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
He also 'shared' a nuclear secret, or intentionally leaked.. Whole lot of nothing burger (no substance), but funny as well.. ;)

Here for people that dont read text anymore:

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
According to a poll released on Wednesday by National Public Radio, 56% of households in Los Angeles, a city of just under 4 million people and the heart of a metropolitan area of over 13 million, have experienced serious financial problems during the pandemic. "The number of people who are hungry and call for help has increased immensely," said Michael Flood, president and CEO of the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank. He said such distribution efforts were a common form of disaster relief in the United States.

Before the pandemic, the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank, with the support of other organizations, provided groceries to about 300,000 people a month. The number is now 900,000.
https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-pandemic-has-many-down-and-out-in-los-angeles/a-54901463

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Here is a written down excerpt from the original source:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ish-evidence-PROVING-coronavirus-manmade.html

No proof produced yet, but lets keep a search filter on her, just for good measure.. ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

94% of all Coronavirus deaths were from people with other, equally terminal illnesses at the same time.
BS.

1*dAoNHpNmPrQQ8UEid8z1KQ.png

src: https://towardsdatascience.com/covid-19-comorbidities-are-the-elephant-in-the-room-7d185bd6cfe2

BS mostly for 'equally terminal illness'.

Comorbidities are:
399 (25.1%) reported having at least one comorbidity. The most prevalent comorbidity was hypertension (16.9%), followed by diabetes (8.2%). 130 (8.2%) patients reported having two or more comorbidities. After adjusting for age and smoking status, COPD (HR (95% CI) 2.681 (1.424–5.048)), diabetes (1.59 (1.03–2.45)), hypertension (1.58 (1.07–2.32)) and malignancy (3.50 (1.60–7.64)) were risk factors of reaching the composite end-points.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7098485/

So high blood pressure and diabetes, are some of the most prominent ones.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Deleted User

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
On the Dr. Li-Meng Yan thing.

She tried to publish the information since january of this year, her first channel of outreach was a popular chinese youtuber, that apparently published the story already, although in chinese, her channel of outreach to the english speaking world is a british gossip format, and she shows signs of severe emotional stress ("I want to get as much of it out to the world, before I get disappeared.") According to her, she is working on publishing the evidence with 'top scientists in the US'.
(Also something to look into after the fact.)

Her claim of original involvement was to have been sent onto a non disclosed mission to track the propagation of the virus in china in december of last year, and she reported the results to an independent advisor to the WHO, who then chose to not report them on.

edit: Better writeup:
https://theprint.in/world/covid-vir...kong-virologist-says-she-has-evidence/502237/

edit: She toured the FOX news circuit once before:
Earlier in July 2020 as well, in an interview to Fox News, Li-Meng had claimed that the Chinese authorities knew about the coronavirus outbreak in December last year yet they chose to remain silent about it.

edit2:
Original FOX news interview:
https://www.foxnews.com/world/chinese-virologist-coronavirus-cover-up-flee-hong-kong-whistleblower

I want to find the 'original youtuber' outreach stuff published in january, but so far no luck. :)

edit: Public conference thingy she did edit: on the third of this month:
https://old.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/...meng_yan_3_phd_chinese_scientists_4991ratg13/

And yes, down the rabbit hole analysis of her theory can be found there, thanks to redditers. :)
--

Last edited by notimp,

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone here have any data related to the effectiveness of masks and social distancing? I can't seem to correlate any major influences from either of those strategies.

Seems to me the goalposts keep moving. First it was all a panic about 2-4 MILLION USA people who were going to keel over. Then it was about doctors getting overwhelmed because hospital beds? Then it was about asymptomatic people killing grannies. Now they're on some numbers game in test results?

The info about the comorbidities is interesting for sure, though any and all of the numbers people are charting up are so meaningless no matter how many you look at or try to graph out. They for sure wouldn't have had the same paralyzing fear effect of the original MILLIONS quotes.

I can't believe we're still going through this shit. My governor just extended the mandatory masker rule 30 more days.

Over time many of my irl peers have gone from shaking in their boots about the varus to just being generally numb about the whole thing. At first it was a large majority of my friends who thought everyone was gonna die and that we could actually have some effect in our actions. Now it seems the majority think it's a farce. The news and social media seem to still be spreading fear in full force though, so staring at your little screen it looks grim.

Really would like some info on the effectiveness of the masks and social distancing cause it seems to me that's the most we could have ever done to combat something like they projected, and idk if it really worked. If it did work why are we still wearing masks, and if it didn't, why are we still wearing them? Looking at random numbers from numerous sources that don't add up to each other it looks like we're over the peak of this thing. During the peak of the deaths in USA my state was in complete lockdown like it was a ghost town for 2-4 weeks. That had to be the most effective thing we could have done. I don't know what 2ft of plexiglass hanging from a string does, but I'm guessing not much.

It's like simultaneously and collectively the world gave up on logic and reason. Sure the doomsday scenario looks scary, and humans are pretty good at perseverance and determination so we wouldn't take any kind of apocalypse just laying down, but some of the stuff is just silly.

I wear. a. mask. in public because I don't wanna get into debates with people and end up as a karen on the internet, plus the whole "law" stuff. Though I do wish I could tell more people to question the effectiveness of lockdowns. I'm pretty sure we're doing all this stuff based on some rudimentary virus simulation program coded up by experts in virology.

I do hope it's over before too long, as it drags on it seems more and more likely that it wasn't ever about a virus or saving people but trying to control them and manipulate them to influence lawmaking, and worldwide too. If it was a real actual pandemic the numbers just haven't been that scary looking to me, as cold as it might sound to say. I kinda have the feeling though that if an actual real human destroying virus were to show up, stuff like masks and going through the drive through isn't gonna save us. We're too connected to each other. Even the extreme fear mongering people I know in real life they don't wear the mask in their house and they see their friends and family in not socially distanced interactions on the regular. Putting a mask on sometimes isn't gonna save us from an actual super virus. I'm skeptical about all this shit.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Went down the rabbit hole - here is the report.

- Reddit channel that is promoting this is /r/China_Flu/ which - is political. :)
- Guy hosting the youtube conference on the third of september, is completely disinterested in the material - when people are speaking english, shows microexpressions of 'cynical laughter' followed by complete boredom, but then switches to 'shoutcaster' mode (very enthused), as soon as he has to moderate in chinese again.
- Dr Li-Meng Yan, pushes an agenda where she is more interested in telling the world, where there are fake news, where there is 'tha truth', where there is 'mixed reporting' which confuses people, where CCP party involvement ensures, that only one side of scientists is heard, where she promotes, we are the scientists, we speak chinese, we can tell the world whats true... and so on. So 90% of what she is bringing is actually story telling. Which is never a good sign, for someone that actually wants to 'prove' something.
src: h**ps://youtu.be/QokZ392yxLc?t=4700
- reddit channel /r/China_Flew/ features her for almost exactly one month now - but during that month very intensely. Which is odd, since she showed up on Fox in June, and apparently on chinese Youtube in january first (still havent found that appearance).

And most importantly:

All 'evidene' brought in that hour long youtube conference between scientists - is circumstantial. All of it. The argument is not a bad one - stating, that china and the CCP dont have an airtight case for mapping out 'natural progression of that virus from bat to human' (see also: https://old.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/isr6ba/scientists_claim_serious_data_discrepancies_in/ ), and that afair time magazine copied some of those 'leniencies' and didnt investigate them further - but thats one thing, and making a one and a half hour show out of it is another.
-

All of that screams crackpot.
Most of that screams manufactured.

Rhetorics are circular, attack the thing thats most easily attacked ('no airtight proof'), and prep up an agenda (are more about 'telling a story' than about proving a point).
-

Talking about proving a point - the Dr has actually released her 'proof' by now, and /r/China_Flu/ seemingly are amongst the first to feature it. :)

Here:
https://old.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/islmky/limeng_yan_unusual_features_of_the_sarscov2/

Have fun. ;)

What I saw in the video above, smells like a disinformation campaign. :)

edit: The chinese blogger in the US she released to in january is Mr uninterested and bored, with cynical facial expressions from above (according to FOX news in june), so you already have the channel linked in here.

edit2: Effing FOX underlayed the june clip with mood sounds, and packed in a produced human interest package (I felt very scared, my husband was very scared, here is a wedding photo, I knew at every step in the airport, that it could be over, ...).

edit: News of the report got no traction on ycombinator:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24471498 ;)
edit: second ycombinator link:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24477045

edit: Limeng Yan immediately framed a ddos (traffic spike) to the preprint website as "it being hacked" (if that is her account, but also - in general, that framing did happen):
https://twitter.com/LiMengYAN119/status/1305509269018759169

edit: Google for the release link is extremely interesting imho:
https://www.google.com/search?q=https://zenodo.org/record/4028830

Shows in what communities the story is seeded.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Does anyone here have any data related to the effectiveness of masks and social distancing? I can't seem to correlate any major influences from either of those strategies.
Masks yes, social distancing - no.

Masks:

Because you can determine how big the virus is (size), an therefore how effective certain types of masks are - but you cant infect groups of people with Covid just to see how well social distancing works. :) Roughly.

People already had a hard time coming to conclusions if transmission is airborn or just mukus based. :)

We know that social distancing works though. Because we see clusters where people cant/wont social distance. (Meat processing plants, churches, private festivities, families...)

(You need a proper exposure to it for 15 minutes, to have a high chance of being affected apparently, which is why in supermarkets mostly employees get it, that are exposed to it throughout the day (you can find studies on that too)).

edit: See also: https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...velops-a-prediction-model-for-SARS-CoV-2.aspx

referencing:

Last edited by notimp,

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Josh hammer is an idiot. The lockdown was to slow the spread of the virus, which worked. That would, in turn, relieve hospitals. Which it did. Notice that the virus has gotten worse since the lockdown was lifted? Another lockdown should be enforced, since some think that the virus is over and don’t wear masks anymore. If you don’t want to wear a mask, you should stay home. The mask isn’t for YOU. It’s for US.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Josh hammer is an idiot. The lockdown was to slow the spread of the virus, which worked. That would, in turn, relieve hospitals. Which it did. Notice that the virus has gotten worse since the lockdown was lifted? Another lockdown should be enforced, since some think that the virus is over and don’t wear masks anymore. If you don’t want to wear a mask, you should stay home. The mask isn’t for YOU. It’s for US.
"You're not tearing off your ears for your own safety. You're tearing off your ears for the safety of strangers -- people you don't know or care about, and will likely survive COVID even if they do get it."

Deleted member 412537

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, the mask panties only caused pain for me once when it was too tight on the ears while wearing glasses. nowadays I don't really have that problem anymore. As time passes,I guess having to maintain wearing a new pair of panties over and over again [or washing the reusable ones] while navigating flu season may turn up a bit difficult to master without become too frustrated with whats expected of us.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, the mask panties only caused pain for me once when it was too tight on the ears while wearing glasses. nowadays I don't really have that problem anymore. As time passes,I guess having to maintain wearing a new pair of panties over and over again [or washing the reusable ones] while navigating flu season may turn up a bit difficult to master without become too frustrated with whats expected of us.
I'm tired of people comparing wearing a mask (which can cause physical pain on the wars and eyes) to clothing (a natural instinct ever since Eve at the apple).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)