Gaming The Matrix (1999) is Thomas Anderson Nemo?

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
First of all, I must make it very clear, if you want me to respond to your post, you have to stay on topic. Every off topic post will be ignored.

Hello everyone,

short version for all who don't want to read the whole thread:
Please share videogames where you have spotted alot of parallels to the Matrix movie.

I am seriously spooked right now.

I was watching someone play Little Nemo for the NES. While watching it struck me how many parallels there are to the movie Matrix. I didn't think much of it, but then Nemo had to free the kidnaped Morpheus and at this point I decided to look deeper into it. My research lead me down some dark paths and thats why I decided to ask you for you insight.

01.jpg

First I want to share my observation of Nemo and contrast it with the movie Matrix.

02.jpg

So the setting of Litte Nemo is new york. Matrix was filmed in Sydney (thanks to @Milenko)
, but it very much evokes the setting of a new york crime thriller. It is a bit odd that they make sure to reveal the location of litte Nemo since it contributes nothing to the story which plays in a dreamland.

The names Nemo and Neo are strikingly similar. Neo's IRL name is Thomas (selfdoubting clone/twin of Jesus) Anderson (son of man), just as a side note.

03.jpg

In the movie Matrix there are two layers the real and the virtual world and they switch between the two. In litte Nemo this is the case as well but he wakes up and returns to dreamland.

04.jpg

In Matrix a leading motive is the believe that Neo might be "the chosen" and he first encounters Trinity in a shady nightclub. The same goes for Nemo who is chosen by the moon princess Camille.

05.jpg

While little Nemo is during nightime with the moon prominently featured, in Matrix the sun is permanently blocked from earth.

01.jpg

Little Nemo has to rescue Morpheus the exact same goes for Matrix where Neo goes on a mission to rescue Morpheus.

The origin of the word Matrix.
matrix (n.)

late 14c., matris, matrice, "uterus, womb," from Old French matrice "womb, uterus" and directly from Latin mātrix (genitive mātricis) "pregnant animal," in Late Latin "womb," also "source, origin," from māter (genitive mātris) "mother" (see mother (n.1)).

The origin of the word Camille:

“camillus” possibly derived from Greek “gamelios/γαμήλιος”, which means “wedding” or “bridal”.

06.jpg

So there is a breeding motive in both. If you look at how the silhouette of the zepplin penetrates the moon and the morning star which has a phallic quality to it, those might be connected.

07.jpg

In Matrix agents can take over bodies of the persona of the human batteries. Little Nemo can take over bodies of creatures he comes across.

08.jpg

Now this is just a superficial observation form what I remember from the movie. It might be worth watching the movie again and looking for more parallels in greater detail.

While doing my research I stumbled across the game Deus Ex. It appears to have alot of parallels as well.

In a youtube interview/let's play with director and producer Warren Spector, he spoke about similarities (green text) between the Matrix and Deus Ex. According to his statement it is safe to assume that there was no communications between the makers of The Matrix and the makers of Deus Ex. (I think I saw another interview where he explicitly says this but I cant find it at the moment.)

Not only the green text is very similar, the characters are extremly close as well. Unfortunatly I dont know much about this game, so I would like to hear your persective.

While researching Deus Ex I came across this post.

After 14 years, I decided to play Deus Ex again. I just bought it and I'm enjoying it again.
And then it happened:
In game they mentioned that the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center were destroyed in a terrorist attack (hence no twin towers in New York skyline) and my brain got a high voltage of shock!!! Because I remember this sentence when I played Deus Ex the first time in 2000!!! How could I forget about it when it actually happened a year later?!?! Deus Ex ...

I did a cross check and did find a 9/11 reference in Matrix as well. The date of expiration is the 11th of september 2001.

09.jpg

At this point I was seriously SPOOKED. I've heard that there is quite elaborate and explicit foreshadowing of the 9/11 terror attack in the movie 'Wag the dog', but never cared to check.

10.jpg

In the following I want to take a look at the symbols used in Litte Nemo.

4f08dd220bbf41de2900a24eecf7c96a.jpg

The most prominently featured symbol in Litte Nemo is the moon. Mytholgically the moon is associated with Diana Godess of the hunt. Early depictions show her as sun godess alongside Apollo the god of sunlight. Camille the bride wears moon earrings.

01.jpg

Nemo/Neo/Thomas/Jesus is connected to the idea of the dying and rising god Adonis as well as to the Phoenix who rises from the ashes.

7c5bb40f-26d5-4147-9f51-7a9dc7b5bfbc_1.e8536e0cd0435ebf2e7a2cc21e92f3cc.jpeg

In the title screen we have "the dream master" in green, a color associated with adonis and spring. Matrix and Deus Ex makes prominent use of the color green as well.

God-Saturn-Photo.jpg

Next to the moon there is the planet Saturn. Saturn is the god of harvest, and might be connected to the villian of the game. Saturn gets his testicles cut off by Jupiter. With his testicals falling into the ocean Venus arises.

400px-Sandro_Botticelli_-_La_nascita_di_Venere_-_Google_Art_Project_-_edited.jpg

In little Nemo however there is no jupiterian figure present. It seems to depict an competition between Adonis/Neo/Nemo and Saturn/Agent Smith.

jupiter.jpg

Now this is just a very brief look at this subject. Please share your thoughts.

Last edited by Creamu,
Reactions: Muliro and rantex92

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I have spent a little more time thinking about the expiration date of Neos passport.

09.jpg

Now the first thing a viewer today would think of, seeing the expiration date of Neos passport is of course the 911 terror attack. Arguing for a connection here demands high amounts of evidence, since the idea of the makers of movie being aware of things to come is an extraordnary claim. In contrast to Deus Ex there doesn't have to be a close connection to the twin towers at all.

So for what other reason could the production team have come up with this date?

11/09/01

The idea of Neo being 'the one' is a leading motive, so there could be a clear connection there. But why not january or november? (11/01/01 or 11/11/01) Interestingly that would go well with the theme of a virtual world as well, since it is in the format of binary code.

If the ones are in connection to Neo being 'the one' what does the nine stand for?

matrix (n.)

late 14c., matris, matrice, "uterus, womb," from Old French matrice "womb, uterus" and directly from Latin mātrix (genitive mātricis) "pregnant animal," in Late Latin "womb," also "source, origin," from māter (genitive mātris) "mother"

With the title of the film being a direct reference to pregnancy I would suggest that the nine might be representative for the nine months of gestation.

Matrix-battery-energy.jpg

EDIT: '11 SEP' could have a double interpretation. The other one being a reference to Saturn since:
From septem (“seven”) + -us (“suffix affixed to a linguistic root to form an adjective”).
More on that further down below.

Last edited by Creamu,

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I think you have kept your cell phone near your head for too long.
Hello David,

I apreachiate you taking the time to read my early work on this comparative analysis of The Matrix and other works in videogaming, as well as your scepticism. Please feel free to share your points of disagreement, I am now just throwing things at the wall to see whats sticks to ultmativly come up with a theroy. Look at it this way, even Martin Luther did not translate the bible without help, right?

If your concern truely is about EMF I suggest you and any other user who wants to bring up this topic not to post about it in this thread, but in my dedicated group/threads about EMF radiation concerns:
https://gbatemp.net/group/192/info

Thank you very much!

While we are at the subject of radiation I would like to bring another incarnation of Morpheus into this discussion.

In Fallout 1 there is a very much more sceptical view on Morpheus protrayed.

Morpheus
-he does not believe that the Holy Flame, the Dark Lord, the Master is, in fact, a god
-dresses in black
-is a preacher/high priest
-counts his money in a tower guarded by nightkin
-hasn't given cermont for a while to get ready for the crusade
-calls his followers his children
-is a 'partner' of the master

There are alot of parallels to the Morpheus of the Matrix movie, but the character is much more evil and corrupted. These common themes around the reoccuring Morpheus characters surely can be explained by them being a reference to the mythological figure Morpheus.

Morpheus ('Fashioner', derived from the Ancient Greek: μορφή meaning 'form, shape')[1] is a god associated with sleep and dreams. In Ovid's Metamorphoses he is the son of Somnus and appears in dreams in human form. From the medieval period, the name began to stand more generally for the god of dreams, or of sleep

Underground
-mad scientists
-test subjects became insane
-people get blasted by a psychic energy
-home of the master

In The Matrix there is Zion at the center of the earth, and the cathedral has also an undergound. The center of the earth in The Matrix triology very much evokes the Tartarus.

82164a8a02077528567aa43d954c147d.jpg

In Greek mythology, Tartarus (/ˈtɑːrtərəs/; Ancient Greek: Τάρταρος, Tártaros)[1] is the deep abyss that is used as a dungeon of torment and suffering for the wicked and as the prison for the Titans. Tartarus is the place where, according to Plato's Gorgias (c. 400 BC), souls are judged after death and where the wicked received divine punishment. Tartarus is also considered to be a primordial force or deity alongside entities such as the Earth, Night, and Time.

Aenaes-and-the-Sybil-in-Hades.jpg

The mythological portrayal of the center of the earth is negative and in Matrix it is positivly portrayed.

Master
-controls his army with psychic power
-can attack with psychic power
-thinks unity is the best course for humanity
-unity will bring about the masterrace
-one race, one goal, one people for one destiny
-brings an age of mutants
-'none shall breed for they will be the last of their race'
-sterilizes nonebelievers and executes resistors
-wants to conquer the vault 13 to turn all 'pure strain humans' into mutants
-when proven that his mutants are sterile he destroys himself

Since I have not watched the other matrix movies, they are said to be amoung the worst of all, I cannot say if there is a comparable figure to this. Agent Smith in the first movie talks to Morpheus about his disgust for humans, that they are like a desease. Smith tells Morpheus that humans rejected a simulation that was harmonious and free of suffering and that he wants to exterminate them. So in The Matrix agent Smith and Morpheus are portrayed in a antagonistical relation, and in fallout the master and Morpheus are working secretly together.

The contrasting relations in the two interpretations might be explained by a mercuriall element, the caduceus. The Morpheus discourse of Fallout 1 shows him as a deciever, who secretly works for the master, in contrast to The Matrix that shows a maybe caducean (fake) conflict.

Mercury-roman-scuplture--768x768.jpg

Catherdral

-children of the catherdral adress eachother as brothers and sisters.
-war in order to save the world with peace and unity
-ready to move north
-known leader is Morpheus
-'pray, follow, unity'
-'praise the holy flame'
-meditation: 'the master is my friend, unity is prosperity, peace is prosperity, peace and unity come through obedience, obedience is proven through submission to authority, he submits will be christened by the holy flame, but the faithful will not be burned, he who goes through fire without bunring shall have life everlasting'
-concerned about the destiny of the world
-sancturary for the human race that alows for the birth of the master. ('Thus a healing darkness emerged from a terrible light the terrible light (nuclear radiation)'?)
-no one should fear mutation because of radiation (mutation being a normal component of reporduction making everyone a mutant by definition)
-pain the most instructive form of the universe
-pain kills the individual to be remade as the masters tool
-pain cleanses one of evil thoughts
-worship the master that is below the earth surface
-setting up hospitals to gain trust and manipulate people/recruitment tool
-people are disapearing while the nightkin are growing
-people go to the cathedral to gain 'biomass', the master consumes them and turns them into supermutants/nightkin

There is much more cynicism and opportunism around the children of Morpheus in Fallout. In The Matrix there is an almost a fanatical and radical support for the movement. Tank describes himself proudly to Neo as: 'Me and my brother, Dozer, are 100% pure, old-fashioned, homegrown human. [...] Genuine child of Zion.'

nightkin
-killers
-meant to tear the world apart for the cathedral
-eat humans
-can put people to sleep
-very loyal to the children

The parallel here might be the robotors in The Matrix, maybe I will look closer into it later. Nemo can put craetures to sleep by feeding them candy before morphing (no pun intended) into them or riding on them.

flowers
-symbol for peace, stem symbol for unity

Nice touch in fallout, contrasting the cynicism with flowers.

And of course, the green text:
485bd38c29c5aa325545a7323a53787c60999fe5.png

Last edited by Creamu,
Reactions: Muliro

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I was watching a youtube video about the latest halo release. Since I saw some interesting parallels to points already raised in this thread, I want to share them here.

So the nightkin in fallout look like this:
Keene.jpg

Then banished in halo infinite look like this:
f6d52685-0e83-42bf-9f5d-73edaa021319-screen-shot-2020-07-30-at-11046-am.png

They look so similar, they might as well be the same character within a series.

The halo version often is portrayed in red:

cd012828-9786-4640-8f51-206e433088af-screen-shot-2020-07-30-at-10915-am.png

In Fallout 1 the nightkin are a creation of the Holy Flame, the Dark Lord, the Master. Judging by this and the colorcoding I suggest that the nightkin are creatures of Vulcan and Saturn.

The Masterchief has a similar numbercoding compared to Neos passport.

1653150385440.jpeg

117 for the Masterchief and 119 (911) for Neo (or should I say Thomas Anderson?). The Matrix term of 'pregnant animal' evokes a reproductive theme with a forgein breeding body, the nine might be representative for the nine months of gestation. The seven is related to Saturn. While Neos 11SEP can be interpreted in both ways, there is no ambiguity in ther case of Masterchief.

Numerology is is related in many ways to astrology in terms of archetypes and meanings. The number 7 relates to Saturn, caution, discipline and fate.

The two ones seem to be related to the theme of being 'the chosen one', while the seven and nine might indicate a relation to an ideal/mission. In the case of Masterchief the child eating Saturn might indicate a castration/sterlization motive of a competetive group, just like the Morpheus in Fallout 1.

09.jpg

In the case of Halo infinite compared to Fallout 1 there seems to be a struggle between a Vulcan and a Satrunian force. While in Fallout 1 the Master is Holy Flame, and Dark Lord is one.

Last edited by Creamu,
Reactions: Muliro

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Slow news day for conspiracy theorists?
Thanks for reading my work. What I am trying to do here is a comparative analysis of cultural artefacts. I deal with fiction here. It happens to be that these artefacts are connected to real life events by their nature (especially Deus Ex), this however is not my concern.

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
They are ok, not baaad movies, just not good as the first. Matrix 4 it's totally worth it, but also not good as the first
Thank you for reading my work. I see, they seem to get critiqued mercilessy by many. Since there is so much media, that seems to be connected to the matrix themes, symbols and motives I will concentrate on the first Matrix film for now. Even Deus Ex has a Morpheus character. I might cover that in the future. Thanks again.

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Last edited by Creamu,

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Where is Vulcan in the Matrix movie?

Le_Brun_Le_Soir_ou_Morph%C3%A9e.JPG
File:Le_Brun_Le_Soir_ou_Morph%C3%A9e.JPG

So I have spotted parallels across different games and the Matrix movie with the charater of Morpheus. He has a chosen character/follower that is in persuit of the camilus, a foreign breeding body, essentially an Adonis and Venus(/Diana) relation. Adonis seems to be connected to the number 117 (Chosen one? Saturn? End of the cycle?). Whether Masterchief(Halo) is a Adonis character or more of a Golem/Adam/Franksteins monster character, I would have to look closer into that. Anyway.

o-MATRIX-HONEST-TRAILER-facebook.jpg

Morpheus appears as a priest (or king in little Nemo) of Saturn in a struggle against another entity. In Fallout 1 he is a priest ('partner') of Saturn and Vulcan (the master, the darklord, the holy flame [trinity?]). My analysis leads me to believe that in the Matrix those two elements are in conflict, in contrast to Fallout 1 where they are harmonized.

light-night-red-flame-fire-darkness-candle-lighting-770041.jpg

What could be the reason for this difference? Maybe it is an internal struggle between otherwise allied factions. Maybe it is a caducean (fake/show/deception) battle. Perhaps this goes so far that there is a good amount of selfdeception at play. The amount of cultish and puristic enthusiasm in the followers of Morpheus of the Matrix movie tells me that there is more idealism than realism going on compared to the cynical and bleak protrayal of Fallout 1.

asdawd.jpg
Image.aspx

So who is Vulcan in the Matrix movie. He is the Architect.

Vulcan_by_Bertel_Thorvaldsen.jpg

-Creator of the simulation (father and creator of the Matrix)
-highly intelligent
-deteminist rational
-program adminstrator (overseer)
-deploys agents
-watches Neo
-search for perfection, (no anomilies)
-mathematician without emotional understanding
-works within a cyclical frame

City of machinces (city radiates light[fire?])

1.gif

The Architect is seen as a caricature of Sigmund Freud.
https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/The_Architect_(The_Matrix)

I have read that the Architect in the Matrix movie is associated with Sigmund Freud. Therefore I have checked on Freud, if there is anything about Vulcan, and there is something related. I will leave this as a note here:

Jahve was certainly a volcano-god…One of these [volcanic] mountains must have been the Sinai-Horeb which was believed to be Jahve’s abode. In spite of all the transformations the Biblical text has suffered, we are able to reconstruct – according to E Meyer – the original character of the god: he is an uncanny, bloodthirsty demon who walks by night and shuns the light of day.
The god Jahve, to whom the Midianite Moses led a new people, was probably in no way a remarkable being. A rude, narrow-minded local god, violent and blood-thirsty, he had promised his adherents to give them " a land flowing with milk and honey " and he encouraged them to rid the country of its present inhabitants " with the edge of the sword. "
During the centuries since then the Levites had become one with the people or with the priesthood and it had become the main task of the priests to develop and supervise the ritual, besides caring for the holy texts and revising them in accordance with their purposes. But was not all this sacrifice and ceremonial at bottom only magic and black art, such as the old doctrine of Moses had unconditionally condemned ?

Last edited by Creamu,

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
In the following I want to comment on the illustration of Morpheus in the first Deus Ex game.

maxresdefault.jpg

On the surface it is a rather unremarkable character compared to the other iterations. But let's have a look.

Morpheus is an AI prototype in Morgan Everett's residence created sometime after 2027 by the collaboration of Morgan Everett and Bob Page.

I begin with checking the names of the creators of Morpheus.

IMG_3575-scaled.jpeg

Morgan means 'sea-born' and might be connected to Venus, she appears from the sea as Jupiter cuts of the testicles of Saturn and they drop into the sea.

spezia_death_adonis.jpg

Everett means ‘wild boar’. In mythology Mars god of war is often depicted as a boar, for example while killing Adonis.

This name might therefore symbolise a union between Mars and Venus. The boar portrayal might even point to a slayn Adonis character.

wings%20snakes%20satan%20artwork%20gustave%20dore%20paradise%20lost%20john%20milton%201030x1280%20wallpaper_www.paperhi.com_21.jpg

Robert "Bob" Page. Robert means to shine; bright, white. Therefore I would connect him to Apollo/Lucifer a celestial figure. Page means "personal servant", so as Morpheus in the Fallout 1 game he might be the actor under a leader.

The predecessor of Morpheus is Eliza (Pledge to god/Saturn) for Cassan I found this crest:
family-crest-coat-of-arms.png

What sticks out to me is the five pointed star, which in our contemporary historical conciousness is connected to amercanism and communism. Since these two things are so disconnected from an superficial glance, I'm assuming there is a deep meaning behind the 5 pointed star, I might look into at a later point. On the tower there is a blue swan.

Morpheus was designed as a large-scale data-miner and intelligent pattern recogniser, and was used by Everett as a parlour trick, in order to treat guests by having it tell them about themselves or any other subject they asked it about.
Very interesting. Morpheus here takes on an openly deceptive role. Thats the case in Fallout 1 as well. I have speculated that the conflict in The Matrix is caducean, and Morpheus (The Matrix) might be either a deceptive actor, or under selfdeception.
Gaziantep_Zeugma_Museum_Daedalus_mosaic_1873.jpg

Morpheus also served as the prototype for the Echelon IV global communications and surveillance system. Echelon IV evolved into Daedalus.
In Greek mythology, Daedalus (/ˈdiːdələs, ˈdeɪdələs, ˈdɛdələs/; Greek: Δαίδαλος; Latin: Daedalus; Etruscan: Taitale) was a skillful architect and craftsman, seen as a symbol of wisdom, knowledge and power.
So Morpheus in Deus Ex is an early iteration of Daedalus, an architect/vulcan. This further promotes the idea that the Matrix conflict is a caducean (fake) one or at least a struggle amoung peers.
morpheus-red-pill-blue-pill.jpg

Having been in continuous operation for at least a decade, Morpheus had spent ample time absorbing information about the world and drawing intelligent conclusions from what it had learned. Its capability for making incisive remarks indicates that it understood humanity's evolved nature with perfect clarity. It observes humanity's sociality, narcissism, empathy, and longing for absolution with an uncanny, child-like candour and apathy. According to a book found in the room with Morpheus, it had been recorded that the machine was recently behaving erratically, exhibiting what may be cursory signs of true self-awareness.
In The Matrix consciousness/awareness is a central theme. The Deus Ex Morpheus seems to be an preconscious Morpheus.

c26bfdda9eca4c7bafbba17f5a9b7b30.jpg

Morpheus is confined to an isolated system, although it is equipped with a nebulous, holographic projection of a face. The presence of a virtual face was important in order to enhance the sense of interpersonal empathy that it would require in order to be most fully disarming and thereby entertaining to visitors.
Morpheus seems to be quite the mercuriall character.

This was more revieling than I anticipated.

Next time I might cover the saturnalia, since I think it is an important aspect of these cultural artefacts.

Last edited by Creamu,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My therapy chair is padded