The Mame Emulator

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mikeyt1998, Jun 5, 2008.

Jun 5, 2008

The Mame Emulator by mikeyt1998 at 4:24 PM (4,306 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. mikeyt1998
    OP

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    i havent really heard much about mame, all i know is that is that its apparantly an arcade machine kinda emulator? and theres one for everythin, i even ahve it on the xbox one but it crashes when i try to load it...

so i might download it. just wondering what the types of files it plays are? EG ds is .nds and gba is .gba

thanks

2. Hellfromabove

Newcomer Hellfromabove Advanced Member

United States
    Ok, I think you might be a little confused here. MAME is for almost all consoles but it does not emulate NDS/ GBA games. MAME stands for Multi Arcade Machine Emulator. It is meant to emulate dumped arcade boards. You might have a multi emulator on your xbox and that's why you might be a little confused. Just trying to clear things up. At this point MAME for Wii does not exist. It is supposedly in the process of being developed. It is called SDLMAME. One was recently released for PS3. Hopefully we see it on the Wii.

3. DukeDizko

Member DukeDizko GBAtemp Regular

Hola.
    It plays .zip(ped) rom-files. Havent't open them yet 'cos it wasn't necessary. For further info, check:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAME

I suppose that "not all", better: only some files are playable in the Wii-version in contrast to reg. PC versions (+-4500 games at all) & what I've heard so far that they take LOADS of time to run. however, enjoy!

4. Eternal Myst

Member Eternal Myst Back from the Myst.

United States
    I wonder?
    Does the wii have a good compalibilty list with the games for mame?

5. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    That's not what he asks.
    he wonders what kind of file extension the supposed MAME emulator plays.
    he just took the ".nds, .gba" files as examples of file extensions.

6. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    The majority of ROM dumps are stored in raw format and contained in ZIP archives, one for each game.

P.S. File extensions for most systems are arbitrary. Then could be extension-less, or use *.bin (raw data).

7. mikeyt1998
    OP

United Kingdom
    thats exactly what i meant thanks.

i mean, i downloaded a zip file from a webpage and it was under the MAME directory so i figured it had its own file extension. but when i opened it it was like a few different files with something like .i2c or something, so i downloaded another tan they were all just .1 .2 etc.

i just thought it was weird.

but a question about thats in my head now XD if i was to put that zip folder on the SD and ran mame (i know you said it isnt out yet, just what i'm wondering) it'd treat all those seperate files like a game? like an ISO?

i dunno if thats a noob quesion or not [​IMG]

8. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Mame is out for Wii. You can find it in this site. Its SDLMAME. It runs games well once they load up. But only games under 10mb are worth running. Larger files either take an hour to load or just freeze and reboot the system. I actually just got done playing a dump of Rtype-II on the SDLMAME for Wii. Hellfromabove just doesn't know what he's talking about. Make sure you have a decent size SD card and follow the installation instructions exactly. You put all of the files in the zip in the roms directory you will make for the mame emulator on the sd card. And no, the file extension on the end of the files doesn't matter. I have a few that end in ".h .c" and a few that end in ".1 .2". Just remember this:
    1. They are in the right directory
    2. They stay labeled correctly
    3. They are smaller then 10mb (you can go larger but not recommended)
    4. You have patience with the emulator as it takes a few minutes to load
    5. You read all the instructions in the readme before you try to use it. Nothings worse then not knowing the controls and resetting the mame emulator after you waited 10 minutes to play a game.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=85931 - This is the original post about MAME for Wii

9. elm

Member elm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well hopefully they would improve on this emu, and release a better one in the near future.... i hope & pray!

10. mikeyt1998
    OP

United Kingdom
    yeah, sounds complicated XD

still, there are only a handful of games i'd probably want to play on it anyway. sonic the fighters is one of them, and since i could just play tekken or something but with characters that arent the most legendary in gaming history (lol) then i dont think its entirely worth it to be honest...

but i might try it out anyways seeing as though i asked n will have wasted your time oherwise [​IMG]

maybe the fact ihave no patience is why i never get mame on the xbox working. i mean, i press a on the emulator to load it up, and it just comes up with a black screen rather than a list of games or anything... might leave it lik that for a while to see what happens.

11. HowardC

Member HowardC GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The mame emulator is pretty darn perfect. Crappy, unofficial, ports to oddball systems (such as the wii) are what need improving.
    If you wanna play mame, get a pc and play it properly or better yet build a mame cab with the proper controls, which the wii definately does not have. The ONLY real reason to run mame on the wii would be for the zapper (pc lightgun hardware is pretty crappy) and as of now it's gamecube controllers only.

With that being said... you wanna play sonic the fighters then forget about mame on the wii. 3d games would require too much processing power to emulate on the wii's humble processor. For that matter forget about mame period. You want the M1 emulator.

12. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yeah, as I said before.... Keep it under 10 megabytes and you'll be fine. Anything more and it is more than likely to fail to load. I currently only use the Wii MAME to play R-Type II and that is because it is the only means of playing the game on the Wii and it's easier to take the Wii with me places than it is for me to take my PC.