The 'Magic Leap One Creator Edition' Goes On Sale In Selected U.S. Cities

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Aug 9, 2018.

Front-page
    rsz_magic_leap_one_ce.png

The progressively less mysterious Magic Leap previously gave a release window of summer 2018 for its first headset, the Magic Leap One Creator Edition, and provided a few new specs details. In a tweet yesterday, the multi-billion dollar worth startup announced that their first device is now up for sale starting at a whooping $2 295. However the Magic Leap One Creator Edition is shipping only to the six following areas in the United States, with more cities to be added this fall: Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, San Francisco Bay area and Seattle. This includes complimentary delivery and set-up service by a service called LiftOff. There has been no time frame for an international release at the time of writing.

Along with the announcement came more details regarding the device's specs:

The Lightpack (the belt pack with the processing power)

lightpack_3x.png
    • CPU: NVIDIA® Parker SOC; 2 Denver 2.0 64-bit cores + 4 ARM Cortex A57 64-bit cores (2 A57’s and 1 Denver accessible to applications)
    • GPU: NVIDIA Pascal, 256 CUDA cores; Graphic APIs: OpenGL 4.5, Vulkan, OpenGL ES 3.3+
    • RAM: 8 GB
    • Storage Capacity: 128 GB (actual available storage capacity 95GB)
    • Power: Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Up to 3 hours continuous use. Battery life can vary based on use cases. Power level will be sustained when connected to an AC outlet. 45-watt USB-C Power Delivery (PD) charger
    • Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.2, WiFi 802.11ac/b/g/n, USB-C

The Lightwear (the cyberpunk-y headset chock-full of cameras)

lightwear.PNG
    • Audio Input: Voice (speech to text) + real world audio (ambient)
    • Audio Output: Onboard speakers and 3.5mm jack with audio spatialization processing

Controls

control_3x.png
    • Haptics: LRA Haptic Device
    • Tracking: 6DoF (position and orientation)
    • Trackpad: Touch sensitive
    • LEDs: 12-LED (RGB) ring with diffuser
    • Power: Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Up to 7.5 hours continuous use. 15-watt USB-C charger
    • Other inputs: 8-bit resolution Trigger Button; Digital Bumper Button; Digital Home Button
    The company also detailed the apps and demos that can be experienced with their first device:
    • Tónandi: an interactive audio-visual exploration of the sounds and spirit of Sigur Rós
    • Create: a weird new world of colorful characters, art and physics turning the room into your playground
    • Dr. Grordbort’s Invaders: In this interactive game evil robot invaders come through the walls, the floor — even from behind your couch. Tackle them by wielding superpowered weapons via the Control. No trailer has been released for this game that has yet to be released.
    invaders.PNG

• Social: Facebook but with avatars and emojis floating around in your living room.
    social.PNG
    • Helio: web browser with features like placeable contents and transparent background
    helio.PNG

As these developer-oriented units get shipped, it is only a matter of time before we get to know how the Magic Leap One Creator Edition performs in detail and what it is capable of. The apps and demos available to date are very limited but Magic Leap is relying on developers to come up with creations of their own to exploit the device's prowess. Will you be getting one as soon as available in your region or will you wait for the consumer version and a more diverse ecosystem of apps and games?

:arrow: Magic Leap Official Website

Discussion (15 replies)
  1. Mnecraft368

Mnecraft368 I hate my name.

Aug 8, 2015
    United Kingdom
    I cant believe it, Magic Leap actually gave us some information :oo
    Jokes aside, nice to see something from them, I hope that they pull this off well, it could be interesting. The most interesting app on there for me seems to be Helio, with its feature of placing objects from things like furniture stores into your home.

In terms of me buying, it's not available in the UK yet, and way too expensive. I would wait for consumer version + lower price.

Last edited by Mnecraft368, Aug 9, 2018
    Migush and Soulsilve2010 like this.
  2. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Way over priced, looks absolutely fugly as shit, and barely any battery life out of it.

Hard pass.

Orangy57 and Mnecraft368 like this.
  3. Mnecraft368

Aug 8, 2015
    United Kingdom
    It looks pretty cool imo, but yes battery life is awful, and the price is way too high.

4. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    You can either look like a doofus for free with $2300, or spend $2300 and looking like even more of a fucking doofus who's poorer.

damiano2712, DKB and Mnecraft368 like this.
  5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I hope that price is no indication of what the consumer unit will cost. If it costs more than current VR headsets (which are already a steep barrier of entry for many people) then I don't see it selling well, which means developer interest is not going to be great either.
    It has the potential to be the best AR on the market for the foreseeable future, but that isn't going to help if it's not affordable to most.

At least you can keep it plugged into the wall. Don't current VR headsets require being plugged into the wall anyway? And this isn't wireless regardless so for any sit-down type of experience having it plugged into the wall isn't going to impair you.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Aug 9, 2018
    Mnecraft368 likes this.
  6. Mnecraft368

Aug 8, 2015
    United Kingdom
    As long as they aren't Nintendo and have long wires, it should be pretty usable while tethered.

7. Duo8

Duo8 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 16, 2013
    Vietnam
    Just strap a few power banks on your belt.

None of these techs are groundbreaking or anything, wonder why they had to be so secretive.

8. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    While still cool overall, wish they didn't over hype as they did.

9. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    Still confused as to why the design looks like a CD player from 2002

10. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    VR next gen will probably be late this year or early next year, I will be suprised if not wireless.

11. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    OK, now where's the GzDOOM port?

Prans likes this.
  12. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Ehat exactly is Magic’s leap? It looks like a VR headset, but why the hell is it so expensive?

13. yoyoyo69

yoyoyo69 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2010
    United States
    So, they kept EVERYTHING secret. Created fake demos to publicise and hype the product. Showed a few , behind closed doors demonstrations (obviously using fake demos and no doubt using much more capable hardware) to generate investment. And THIS is what they have to show?

It's not the worst tech on market obviously. But it's a far cry from what they were implying

14. Mnecraft368

Aug 8, 2015
    United Kingdom
    The "fake" demos were fake indeed. How do I know? Because they told us.

But yes, these demos were 100x different from the actual product.

15. Lazyt

Lazyt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oh sigur rós i love you so much