• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The Little Mermaid. Is it getting flak because of racism, or because it's yet another remake?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This is just my opinion but it's starting to feel like the reason why Disney is using POC to distract people from how bad their movies have gotten.
I disagree.

Disney's version of the little mermaid was always bad from a story standpoint. What it aimed to do (and still succeeds at) is entertain children rather than be the actual tale.

Reactions: SylverReZ

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I disagree.

Disney's version of the little mermaid was always bad from a story standpoint. What it aimed to do (and still succeeds at) is entertain children rather than be the actual tale.
Although I agree that the story wasn't the best, the issue with the remake is that they added a lot of random details and lines that only served to do something random like explain why the main male lead was white. Then other weird details, like King Triton being white with a wide range of different races for his children. My conspiracy really just pokes at these decisions because it honestly feels like Disney is either trying to create conversations around these cast choices or they really just feel like cramming in so much "representation" that they don't even care that it doesn't make much sense. The second would be acceptable if they didn't randomly add lines, like clarifying that Eric was adopted. If they didn't feel the need to throw in those kinds of lines, I would have just considered this another mid Disney movie that exploited the wants of representation.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
#WokenSmurfs My problem is people who grew up with the original movies are complaining about how these live action remakes are "ruining our childhood" and its like how? Its not like the original movies magically disappeared they still exist. Like get over yourself.

• Sad

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
#WokenSmurfs My problem is people who grew up with the original movies are complaining about how these live action remakes are "ruining our childhood" and its like how? Its not like the original movies magically disappeared they still exist. Like get over yourself.
Somebody’s never heard of the Disney Vault.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand this but "woke" seems to just be thrown at everything these days and is starting to feel like the Right's version of "Everything I don't like is Hitler"
Keep reading because the article is pretty extensive and will answer any question you have as to the meaning right wing people give it

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i really don't care for the little mermaid. i mean i'm not sure what to say about it with out offending anyone...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.