• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The Little Mermaid. Is it getting flak because of racism, or because it's yet another remake?

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so it's out there, I think Aladdin is the best Disney movie of all time and will fight anyone who disagrees. I have never seen, nor cared about, The Little Mermaid, except for when I was playing Kingdom Hearts. And only then because I got sick of the music sections.

People like to be butthurt, and a lot of people are butthurt over this movie.

Do you think it's because of the race of the actress playing Ariel, or because people are just sick of seeing rehashes and remakes and repackages of beloved classics?

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I think some people are hiding their racism behind the excuse of hating on yet another Disney remake. But also, like, regardless of any casting choices, there is nothing Disney could do to make me even 1% interested in yet another freaky live-action remake. Plus, is it even live action with how much CGI they need to shoehorn in?? Then it just becomes a 3D remake with live action elements, which is even worse, somehow.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So a mythical being both in terms of the movie and the fact she's a fucking mermaid.... Why did race need to be involved! I have seen some of the backlash.

Maybe it is a bit of both as why bother?? I've heard the talking sea life are freakishly wrong with human lips!

I took my kids to see the jungle book and lion king versions and did enjoy them but even my kids said the animated versions are better!

Reactions: DJPlace and Flame

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think some people are hiding their racism behind the excuse of hating on yet another Disney remake. But also, like, regardless of any casting choices, there is nothing Disney could do to make me even 1% interested in yet another freaky live-action remake. Plus, is it even live action with how much CGI they need to shoehorn in?? Then it just becomes a 3D remake with live action elements, which is even worse, somehow.
That is bang-on where I am at.

Please, Hollywood. Come up with a new idea. We've been through all of the Grimm Fairy Tales. A smattering from Asia, Africa and India, with some North and South America thrown in.

There are still thousands of stories across the globe, across all epochs of history, that Disney could made a new movie out of.

I get it that nostalgia sells, but come on. Writers are on strike because they are the ones giving us new stuff. That is what we want, really. If people were outright begging for a new Mermaid flick, there are ways to write one.

rocknard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Maybe Disney and his Blackwashing? You point to the spectator, not the "producer". Disney is who have a problem, not we. They are who are pushing his scheme, we are only reactioning to their sudden "changes" (well, they are trying. We well see who wins the narrative). The easy route is use the wildcard of "racism", but we know it's untrue.

Why a black? Why not a Indian? Why no a minusvalid? Why they only like blacks into our lifes, and more preciselly into our white society? Think about it...

Reactions: OM3GAZX

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It just looks like another mid live action remake to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Disney hasn’t made a good live action remake and I don’t suspect this one will be different

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It just looks like another mid live action remake to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Disney hasn’t made a good live action remake and I don’t suspect this one will be different
I DID like the animation in The Lion King.

It got into the uncanny valley every now and then, and I still prefer the original. But, it was a fun movie to watch with the fam.

Reactions: Chary

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't seen anything about the movie, but people get offended about everything nowadays. But if it was a Netflix remake then... fuck 'em for what they did to Death Note.

Plus most "live action" remakes are crap. I don't really watch remakes anymore cause they are, most of the time, not as good as the original.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
In my opinion the reason why The Little Mermaid is getting so much backlash are two reasons:

1st: We are currently living in the forced inclusion era.
2nd: We're also living un the culture appropriation era.

It's inappropriate to make the Little Mermaid black for sake on inclusio? Yes.
That's because if we were to accept things and do as they were supposed to be, then The Little Mermaid wouldn't be a child's movie in the first place. So, with that logic, The Little Mermaid is inappropriate in any way other than the original story intended it to be.

That said, we're also touching the dilemma that, everybody grew up with one version of The Little Mermaid. Culturally, is the current accepted version, because, again, everyone grew up with that version.
And the dilemma is, woke motherfuckers growing up with black Little Mermaid will eventually be criticizing a change if sometime in the future, black Mermaid gets white again (but why if I grew up with black Mermaid, that's racism) so... you see the vicious circle?

Realistically speaking, woke/inclusivity/rights and all that bullshit is nothing but marketing steategies.
Once this grows out of fashion, nobody will remember the shit that's been done before or after.

And if you haven't realized this by now, you're nor just naive and delusional, but stupid as well.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't seen anything about the movie, but people get offended about everything nowadays. But if it was a Netflix remake then... fuck 'em for what they did to Death Note.

Plus most "live action" remakes are crap. I don't really watch remakes anymore cause they are, most of the time, not as good as the original.
Double and TRIPLE fuck them, in the face, with a salted brick, for what they did to Death Note. My man.

Reactions: dragonblood9999

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are so many great stories from Africa, South America, the Pacific and Asia that have yet to be told to the masses that tens of millions would be enthusiastic to see on the big screen if the writing is done correctly. Why doesn't Hollywood make movies based on those cultures' stories instead of race swapping stories that have already been told? Because they lack imagination? Laziness? Or are they trying to sow more discord in us for nefarious reasons?

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are so many great stories from Africa, South America, the Pacific and Asia that have yet to be told to the masses that tens of millions would be enthusiastic to see on the big screen if the writing is done correctly. Why doesn't Hollywood make movies based on those cultures' stories instead of race swapping stories that have already been told? Because they lack imagination? Laziness? Or are they trying to sow more discord in us for nefarious reasons?
I would love to see Disney take on a real Norse hero. Lots to work with there. Also, the last time they touched Arthurian legend was The Sword in the Stone, which is STILL a fucking banger. THAT one, I wouldn't mind a live action remake of.

But I want the dude who played Jojen Reed from Game of Thrones to play Wart; Thomas Brodie-Sangster. One of the Helmsworth brothers to play Sir Kay. Zach Galifianakis as Sir Ector. Stephen Fry as Merlin. Andy Serkis as Archimedes.

Fuck me, I'd watch it.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I DID like the animation in The Lion King.

It got into the uncanny valley every now and then, and I still prefer the original. But, it was a fun movie to watch with the fam.
I honestly didn't feel like it needed to exist as a "live-action remake" when it was literally all CGI. It was the best of the live-action remakes but that's a pretty low bar.

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm giving it flack because the bitch looks like a hammerhead shark. Her eyes need to take a Lyft to see one another, and she's all forehead. She just looks goofy as shit, that's my only gripe.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even go watch the live action of the Lion King, which was my favorite animated movie.
I'm just not interested in inferior remakes. At all.

The last Disney animated I watched was Zootopia, it's been a while now!
Make new good original stories, and maybe I'll go watch it.

Seriously, is there ANYTHING coming out from Disney today that hits the feels like a Bambi, like a Fox and the Hound, like a Rescuers, like a Lion King? Movies that are for kids but are teaching valuable lessons of life?
Anyone remembers the Secret of Nimh? The Land Before Time? Is there any modern movie that can pretend to get even close to masterpieces like that?
Puss in Boots 2 got kinda close, maybe. But then again, not Disney. Dreamwork learned from the Shrek-fatigue and tried to put in the work, they tried to tell a brand new, compelling story, and it worked for both adults and kids. Spiderverse is lighter, but they came up with their own style to offer a truly unique experience.

Disney just doesn't bother trying anymore. They are creatively bankrupt.

As for all the controversies I don't care much for it, but it's clear to me that Disney doesn't truly care for diversity. If they did, they would do it everywhere, in every country. They would take a stand and stick to it.
But then again, if they meant it, they would come with better stories too.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Seriously, is there ANYTHING coming out from Disney today that hits the feels like a Bambi, like a Fox and the Hound, like a Rescuers, like a Lion King? Movies that are for kids but are teaching valuable lessons of life?
Anyone remembers the Secret of Nimh? The Land Before Time? Is there any modern movie that can pretend to get even close to masterpieces like that?
We're not in the 90's anymore. Sadly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back