The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes online play is region locked

zelda-triforce-heroes.jpg
In a less than shocking turn of events, Nintendo has decided to restrict online play in the new The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes game to players of the same region.

Although it's supposed to be to reduce latency and improve the game experience, this means you won't be able to play with your online buddy across the pond when the game hits shelves on October 22nd. This is coming from the only game company that still deploys region locking restrictions on its other consoles and games.

What do you think of Nintendo's region locking practices and is it time for them to rethink their policies?

:arrow: Source (Pocket Gamer)

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what reason, because of noncanon twist to a series?
Because it's built on a previous game, seems like it's going to lack options and decent online support, and is mainly multiplayer with fairly niche appeal. Not sure if it's quantifiably worth that, but I think more people would be willing to give it a chance at $20. Then again, maybe I'm just spoiled by indie games that seem to give a bit more bang for your buck.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus Christ, what, this is awful. Why not make it a choice

I'm someone who lives in a country that has no official 3DS region so around 40% of us have american systems and the other 60% have european ones. It was already pretty ****ed up how local multiplayer on mario kart 7 wouldn't work between me and my friends, now this crap?

If it's for "speed improvement", that's bull Nintendo, just set up more servers rather than have your crappy online infrastructure really only cater to people living in the US and Japan, cos everywhere else around the world it SUCKS and it just about downright impossible to connect to anyone else on any game ever.

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it game region locked or console region locked.... usa game in jap n3ds i should be able to play w/ usa players right

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Stupid limited nintendo being stupid and limited, still thinking that there is 90-s around and no glabolization has been applied to the world.

Funny enough, physics hasn't changed since the 90s. Faster connections today, still do nothing to overcome the massive distance betweens places and the time it takes to get there. EU to AUS is still 350ms+ today and that's not changing anytime soon, so not sure what being stuck in the 90s has to do with it.

Unless you are one of the "not teleporting", not lagging, just because the netcode is hiding it.

I'm sorry, but have you actually played Splatoon? I've been playing since launch and only disconnected twice since launch. Most people reporting regular disconnection often leave out that they have unstable or slow internet, which can contribute to regular disconnection.

On topic, there should be an option for worldwide play. Removing it outright doesn't solve the problem, it only hinders the online experience. And region-locking is a relic of the past, that needs to stop.

Splatoon should absoluty have regional. While I don't suffer disconnects, with the game continually making every lobby 7/8 Japanese, it's just awful for EU players. EU to Japan is at least 250ms+ ping, which is just absurd for a game like this.

And no, no connection will make a difference to that and no it's not "lag-free" for you other EU players just because the netcode hides it, if you think 250+ is lag free, you are crazy.

Back on topic.

Pointless seeing as Nintendo think Australia is part of EU. If they actually done a proper job I have no problem with it though. Best servers on pc games are always local + ping limit.

Last edited by Armadillo,
Reactions: sporkonomix

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is great because half of my friends list can't play with me now. Just what I wanted!

so you still got a whole half to play with? isn't that good enough?
i mean, i was under the general impression that no one wanted this game anyway, for reasons. so why is anyone upset?

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Funny enough, physics hasn't changed since the 90s. Faster connections today, still do nothing to overcome the massive distance betweens places and the time it takes to get there. EU to AUS is still 350ms+ today and that's not changing anytime soon, so not sure what being stuck in the 90s has to do with it.
Funny that only the N aware of it, cause nobody else blocks online multiplayer. It's their loss, users should not be allowed to decide with whom to play.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so you still got a whole half to play with? isn't that good enough?
i mean, i was under the general impression that no one wanted this game anyway, for reasons. so why is anyone upset?
So, in a game, where you get the general impression that nobody wants it, it's good enough when only half of the people I know, of which not all are even interested in Zelda, are able to play with me?
The only thing that could further shrunken the list of people I'll be able to play with is if Zelda wasn't a mainstream success franchise.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Funny that only the N aware of it, cause nobody else blocks online multiplayer. It's their loss, users should not be allowed to decide with whom to play.

Funny that, they're not.

One of the Mortal Kombat games was locked on Sony systems.
God Of War Acension is region locked
PES is region locked.
Nexon banned/locked out all of South America from NA combat arms servers.
Pretty much every fps on pc, one of the first server plugins to come out will be...ping limit.

Region restrictions/ping limits have always been widely implemented on pc games as well, even if by 3rd party plugins.

Only once mp went mainstream on consoles with matchmaking did we get "lets match with everyone, cos 300ping is perfectly fine"

Besides that, region restrictions have nothing to with as you put it, being stuck in the 90s, nothing has changed that suddenly makes playing people half way across the world any more viable than it did then.

Last edited by Armadillo,

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, but have you actually played Splatoon? I've been playing since launch and only disconnected twice since launch. Most people reporting regular disconnection often leave out that they have unstable or slow internet, which can contribute to regular disconnection.

On topic, there should be an option for worldwide play. Removing it outright doesn't solve the problem, it only hinders the online experience. And region-locking is a relic of the past, that needs to stop.
Do I have to take a sign pic with my copy of my game now for my comment to be justified?

For all I know you can be bullshitting on your experience as well with the game, please dont make assumptions about me just like that other guy.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah well, I don't plan on getting this game anyways. The trailer looks basically like Four Swords online. Also, I'm not going to want to put up with the trolls that can really screw up the experience of this game in particular.

Last edited by HaloEffect17,

TheSockNaster

Kawaii
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a less than shocking turn of events, Nintendo has decided to restrict online play in the new The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes game to players of the same region.

Although it's supposed to be to reduce latency and improve the game experience, this means you won't be able to play with your online buddy across the pond when the game hits shelves on October 22nd. This is coming from the only game company that still deploys region locking restrictions on its other consoles and games.

What do you think of Nintendo's region locking practices and is it time for them to rethink their policies?

:arrow: Source (Pocket Gamer)

Wouldn't they have local play to play with their friends?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I think Nintendo should drop region locking? absolutely.

Will they? No. Because NoA and NoE are still puppets of NoJ, which is still run by a bunch of cynical, xenophobic japanese dudes who give a picometer of fuck about anyone and everyone outside of their island territories and prefectures.

They prove it beyond reasonable doubt with stupid decisions like this.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I think Nintendo should drop region locking? absolutely.

Will they? No. Because NoA and NoE are still puppets of NoJ, which is still run by a bunch of cynical, xenophobic japanese dudes who give a picometer of fuck about anyone and everyone outside of their island territories and prefectures.

They prove it beyond reasonable doubt with stupid decisions like this.
Still nowhere near the level of Sega, but a very close second.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...