Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Last update: 10/20/2011, 12:36 AM
logoqi.png

Story

For ages, there has always been a protector that served the land, seeing to it that evil forces would never overrun the land. With each century came a new hero, and with a new hero came the duty to pass down the sacred clothing to him. The legendary green tunic and hat, the iconic clothing piece of the heroes, was forged from the Threads of Despair. The Threads of Despair are more than just simple threads, as it grants the hero wearing it the ability to overcome any obstacle with more ease than the average person. However, with anything great, there must be something terrible. If evil forces were to wear a piece of clothing made from the Threads of Despair, their sinister powers would heighten, leading to total control of the world. These threads, the Threads of Despair, have been stolen from the Temple of Light, and must be retrieved before any evil ones have a chance to utilize their powers.

Screenshots
screen_0.png
screen_1.png
screen_2.png
screen_3.png
screen_4.png
screen_5.png

screen_7.png
screen_9.png
screen_10.png

From left to right, top to bottom:

1. Title Screen, 2. Fishing in the Sacred Stream, 3. Using the Pictobox to take a picture of the Caster's Lake lakefront.
4. Outside of the Kodrec Town Bar, 5. A snowy night on Faltron Farm, 6. A sunny day at Patierna Swamp.
7. Link riding Epona below the entrance to Dustbird Desert, 8. Catching a fish, 9. Playing the Sun's Song on the Gemshorn.

Videos

DownloadDemo Information

File Size: .EXE Only = 12.34 MB, .EXE + Music = 63.67 MB
Vista Compatible: Yes
Changes Screen Resolution: No

Updates
  • Readded music! Now using some tracks from ZREO (Zelda Re-Orchestrated for those who don't know).
  • Added some sound effects for certain items
  • Added walking/swimming sound
  • Made some changes to the swamp areas
  • Made some changes to the forest overlay
  • Fog is now it's own weather effect, so it can occur outside of the forest/lakefront trail. Also, using a custom fog animation I found somewhere (Think it's by .TakaM, not sure).
  • Reduced Link's speed by one. It feels nicer, but if people think it's too slow, I'll change it back.
  • Added the Cyclone Vase, which doesn't really have a use yet, but you can blow air around.
  • Changed up the Lens of Truth and Shade Cloak overlays
Controls

Arrow Keys - Move Link/Epona, move through menu selections, aim the bow/hookshot
Z - Action/Talk/Read/Play Gemshorn/Get on Epona/Reel Fish
X - Sword/Close Gemshorn box/Get off Epona/Scroll to end of text
C - Use selected item
WASD - Item Hotkeys/Select items from inventory/Play Gemshorn
Enter - Pause/Inventory
Q - Go to the pause menu to the left
E - Go to the pause menu to the right
Shift - Hide/Unhide info box & time meter
Ctrl - Hide/Unhide shading overlay
1,2,3,4,5 - Change weather
Mouse wheel - Increase/Decrease Time
Spacebar - Pause Time

Current Features
  • Time/Day System
  • Seasons
  • Weather
  • HUD
  • Text Engine
  • Instrument/Songs
  • Inventory
  • Map
  • Quest Status
  • Saving/Loading
  • Epona
  • 1 Dungeon (Patierna Shrine)
Items:
  • Deku Nuts
  • Slingshot
  • Bombs
  • Boomerang
  • Gemshorn of Sorrow
  • Bow & Arrows
  • Fire Arrows
  • Bomb Arrows
  • Rod of Growth
  • Megaton Hammer
  • Hookshot
  • Cyclone Vase
  • Lens of Truth
  • Fishing Rod
  • Shade Cloak
  • Bottles
  • Pictobox
Equipment:

None yet

Bugs/Glitches

None yet

Credits

Myself - All of the engine so far, except what's listed below.
Lukearentz - Typewriter Text Engine
Xander - Link sprites
Darklink - Epona sprites
Calvein - Tree sprites
TRM - Item sprites for HUD
Muzzle - Hearts script
xot - Desaturation script
Takam - Water/Cabin/misc tiles
SuperMarioMaster91 - NPC/Misc. sprites

Words from the developer:
*This will be edited with comments pertaining to the project that don't belong in the other sections*

Now that the demo for NCFC 2011 is pretty much complete, I'm going to spend some time polishing up the game, rather than working on new features. Things like improving weather, the general "atmosphere" of the game, etc. I'm also going to map out some more areas, just so people have more places to explore in the demo.

Another note with NCFC 2011...If you like the game, please vote for it! I could use all the support and feedback as possible, seeing as I haven't gotten as much compared to other fangames. I mean, I know ZFGC is pretty much dead and all, but still, it's worth a shot.

Reactions: 1 person

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
ron975 said:
Not bad.. But I'm not a big fan of 16bit zelda. I would post this in the PC section and BTW, what language is this written in?
are you implying that you can somehow run 32bit applications on an ancient 16bit CPU?
if so, congratulations, you have the worlds most advanced abstraction layer.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Antoligy said:
ron975 said:
Not bad.. But I'm not a big fan of 16bit zelda. I would post this in the PC section and BTW, what language is this written in?
are you implying that you can somehow run 32bit applications on an ancient 16bit CPU?
if so, congratulations, you have the worlds most advanced abstraction layer.
No, I was referring to the art style and sprites

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
OP
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Sterl500 said:
well this is a pleasant surprise. I never took you for a programmer. You gots more respect from me.
wink.gif
It's nothing complicated really. I use code in game maker, not drag and drop, so I guess I could sort of be called a programmer...Oh well. I just do this for fun. I've been enjoying my time making this, as well as past games.

Also, for the next update, I'm planning on adding a few new items, including a certain one I have planned that hasn't been in any Zelda game before. Also, I'll have new overworld areas that will also be in the completed version.

Forstride

OP
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Vigilante said:
why is this in the art section
QUOTEGBAtemp Art Studio
Show us your artistic talent! Post your drawings, your photographs, your tunes, your videos, in short: your creations... and get feedback on your work!

And well, this is a creation of mine, so yeah.

Vigilante

TempLurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TDWP FTW said:
Vigilante said:
why is this in the art section
QUOTEGBAtemp Art Studio
Show us your artistic talent! Post your drawings, your photographs, your tunes, your videos, in short: your creations... and get feedback on your work!

And well, this is a creation of mine, so yeah.
Well OK that works

Snorlax

POSTMODERNISM
Trophies
Website
postmodjoel.com
XP
Country
It's nice, and it's commendable that you created such a Zelda-like engine through GameMaker.
Well done!

Suggestion - Change the GUI. It looks out of place in its current style.
wink.gif

Forstride

OP
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Snorlax said:
It's nice, and it's commendable that you created such a Zelda-like engine through GameMaker.
Well done!

wink.gif
You mean the HUD? If so, I don't plan on changing it. I like it like this, as it looks nice to me, and is nice and "clean" I guess you could say.

Snorlax

POSTMODERNISM
Trophies
Website
postmodjoel.com
XP
Country
TDWP FTW said:
Snorlax said:
Well done!

wink.gif
You mean the HUD? If so, I don't plan on changing it. I like it like this, as it looks nice to me, and is nice and "clean" I guess you could say.
I mean, yeah, it's clean, but it looks out of theme with the rest of the game's graphics...
unsure.gif

Forstride

OP
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, the game was updated today. I added the game's instrument, the Gemshorn of Sorrow (A gemshorn is very similar to ocarinas, panflutes, etc.). The only song that's playable so far is the Song of Storms (Z, S, W, Z, S, W). I also added rolling (Finally, I know).

The next demo won't be for a while, as I don't want to keep spoiling it. The next demo will also be the last demo until the game is finished. I have a tester that has been playing each release, and he will continue to test them to let me know of bugs, things I should fix/add, etc.

Forstride

OP
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
tloztod25.png

tloztod26.png

Yes, the map probably looks like shit to you guys, but I like it. It's not supposed to be anything extravagant...Just a way to find out where you are/where other places are.

Here are two screenshots of what I'm working on (For the most part). The Player Stats menu IS finished, and the map is almost finished. I'm not going to spoil any names from the region (It's called Caleron as you can see), but stay tuned when I launch the next and final demo, as well as reveal a few town/area names, and show a few more items.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands