The Legend of Zelda- should a movie be made?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Zelda has no story - Zelda games are loosely connected by thin threads completely made up by Nintendo because their fanbase demanded continuity in a series that simply didn't have any.

Each Link is different and each Zelda is different unless we're talking about direct sequels, accept that and get used to it.

As far as the movie is concerned, anything can be made into a movie, which doesn't mean that it will be good. The fans would probably go see it but I don't think it would have everlasting appeal or that it would be widely recognized.

Cartoon, No
Anime, Yes

That's redundant and inconsistent.
All Animes are cartoons while not all cartoons are Anime, much like every square is a rectangle while not all rectangles are square. Mangas are comics but not all comics are Mangas.

That's the truth, sorry to burst your bubble.

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='Foxi4']

I took issue with the fact that the original post implied they were completely distinct entities. Well, I also don't see how specifically making it an anime would improve the odds of it being good, but hey, that's just me.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I took issue with the fact that the original post implied they were completely distinct entities. Well, I also don't see how specifically making it an anime would improve the odds of it being good, but hey, that's just me.
...can you see how making it a live action movie increases the odds of it being bad? :lol:

On a serious note though, we already had an animated Legend of Zelda and guess what, it became a meme eventually. I think that the best-suited format for movies based on video games is definitelly CG - it stays true to the idea that it's based off a game, de facto intended for computers or consoles. The only exceptions are games that are specifically aiming at a realistic, movie-like look.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...can you see how making it a live action movie increases the odds of it being bad? :lol:

On a serious note though, we already had an animated Legend of Zelda and guess what, it became a meme eventually. I think that the best-suited format for movies based on video games is definitelly CG - it stays true to the idea that it's based off a game, de facto intended for computers or consoles. The only exceptions are games that are specifically aiming at a realistic, movie-like look.

I understand where you're coming from, but I've heard the opposite from people too. I remember hearing from someone that they gave up watching Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within because he was reminded of the games so much that he figured he was better off just playing them.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I understand where you're coming from, but I've heard the opposite from people too. I remember hearing from someone that they gave up watching Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within because he was reminded of the games so much that he figured he was better off just playing them.
Spirits Within was a Final Fantasy movie without Final Fantasy - it bared no resemblence to any of the sub-series, which was its Achilles' heel... but then again, when you look at Final Fantasy as a whole, it's truly a non-uniform blob of universes that are connected only by similar mechanics, and sometimes not even that... so I suppose you can't blame'em.

If I were to mention a Final Fantasy movie, I would probably say Advent Children - you could slap just about any name on Spirits Within and it would just "work". The only Final Fantasy theme there is the lifestream if I remember correctly, perhaps some reoccouring names too.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Spirits Within was a Final Fantasy movie without Final Fantasy - it bared no resemblence to any of the sub-series, which was its Achilles' heel... but then again, when you look at Final Fantasy as a whole, it's truly a non-uniform blob of universes that are connected only by similar mechanics, and sometimes not even that... so I suppose you can't blame'em.

If I were to mention a Final Fantasy movie, I would probably say Advent Children - you could slap just about any name on Spirits Within and it would just "work". The only Final Fantasy theme there is the lifestream if I remember correctly, perhaps some reoccouring names too.

I would have been happy to just see so much as a Black Mage, or Firaga being cast...SOMETHING.

Oooh! Doctor Sid. No one but the hardest of hardcore FF fans would even get that reference.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I would have been happy to just see so much as a Black Mage, or Firaga being cast...SOMETHING.

Oooh! Doctor Sid. No one but the hardest of hardcore FF fans would even get that reference.
As a non-hardcore fan and a person who did not read up on the movie before watching (seen it on TV), I assumed that it was Cid, and thus a re-occouring name. If it's Sid, then I guess it's a play-on-words as it sounds basically the same when you pronounce it... or is it something deeper that I'm unaware of?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

As a non-hardcore fan and a person who did not read up on the movie before watching (seen it on TV), I assumed that it was Cid, and thus a re-occouring name. If it's Sid, then I guess it's a play-on-words as it sounds basically the same when you pronounce it... or is it something deeper that I'm unaware of?

No, on the back of my DVD it's spelled Sid. Might be a mistake on the Producer's fault, though.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could work. All previous attempts to animate the Zelda series have worked perfectly, so a movie would be better, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mHw5g55oC4

Yes I am aware that the second wasn't a standalone animation :)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Know what should be a movie? Eternal Darkness Deus Ex.
I agree.

Okay, fine! Eternal Darkness would be pretty cool too, geez! >>;

*heads back to his cyberpunk grotto...*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocop

Aka "Deus Ex: The Movie(s)"

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blade Runner? Epic, but no augs. It's a good movie for all the different reasons. Robocop movies? Entertaining but... uhh... Far from Deus Ex?

I would be more inclined to say "Ghost in the Shell", but it's still not close enough.

Well the coincidences between Robocop and Human Revolution at least are uncanny and some scenes in Human Revolution are literally ripped directly from Blade Runner. I don't even like Blade Runner but I recognized the similarities.

NeoSupaMario

GBATemp's Official Stegosaurus
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... So it seems that crossovers between video games and movies suck. When (most) movies are made into video games (ex. : Wall-E) they just suck, and when video games are made into movies, they suck (ex. : super Mario bros.)

Is this pretty accurate?

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Hmm... So it seems that crossovers between video games and movies suck. When (most) movies are made into video games (ex. : Wall-E) they just suck, and when video games are made into movies, they suck (ex. : super Mario bros.)

Is this pretty accurate?
This could not be more accurate.

Though I agree with the "most" part of movie video games. There are some rare exceptions. (Goldeneye immediately comes to mind, as does Spider-Man 2) No really good video game movies come to mind, except for the just-barely watchable Silent Hill & Tomb Raider, and the cheesy and fun Mortal Kombat.

NeoSupaMario

GBATemp's Official Stegosaurus
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is this pretty accurate?

Though I agree with the "most" part of movie video games. There are some rare exceptions. (Goldeneye immediately comes to mind, as does Spider-Man 2) No really good video game movies come to mind, except for the just-barely watchable Silent Hill & Tomb Raider, and the cheesy and fun Mortal Kombat.
Yeah. Except for the occasional Star Wars game (Battlefront 1&2&Renegade Squadron, Force Unleashed 1&2, KotoR, Episode 1 Racer, Rouge Squadron)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Is this pretty accurate?

It doesn't exactly sprout from the fact that either is licensed, it's more a matter of the complete lack of the necessity to even try.

If a movie is successful, the game may ride on its success no matter how bad it is and vice-versa.

It's the general public that's responsible - if we weren't blind as to what we're buying, developers/producers/directors/studios would actually have to "try" to convince us that their product is worth the purchase.

To be honest, I like video game movies because they're a guilty pleasure to watch. Hate video games based on movies though as they're simply "crippled" and unplayable for the most part, or at least not enjoyable... unless it's Star Wars - those get a pass.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About the Mario Bros. movie, as far as videogame-to-movie transitions go, it was the least painful. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation? Steaming pile of crap. Street Fighter? Also a pile of crap. And did I fail to mention Tomb Raider? I'm not even going to touch that one. Anything could always be worse than the Mario Bros. movie.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Touché.