The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening is getting a remake

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Feb 13, 2019.

1. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Funny how the responses are different here when on Youtube everybody is praising the shit out. It's always the same when it comes to Nintendo fanboys and the double standards. I really don't get the need of dot eyes when the manual back in the day and the game cover clearly gave link other eyes. It looks horrible, plain and simple.

2. matias3ds

matias3ds GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 25, 2017
    Argentina
    i have never played the original gameboy game , so im excited to be able to play as a remastered new game

3. supermist

supermist GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Same thing happened to me. There was a bug in the original release that resulted in you not being able to get a key in Eagle's Tower and you wouldn't be able to progress. I was 12 and without internet D:

4. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    What I don't get is why they're knocking the art design, but some turn around and want A Link Between Worlds. Oof.

People will complain about anything, if you let them. I actually love the way it looks. Going to enjoy every waking moment of it.

Last edited by Memoir, Feb 14, 2019
    DarthDub, CallmeBerto, Pleng and 3 others like this.
  5. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    Daang. Maybe that was happening. I don't remember whether I had a walkthrough or not. But I felt like I was just goofing around and couldn't progress. Oh well. So I should replay the gbc version?

Memoir likes this.
  6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    People love to judge a book by its cover, even when they don't have the game to see it in person. Never change, Temp, never change.

The Game Boy version has the annoying two-button limitation, I really hope the inventory doesn't have it on Switch.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Feb 14, 2019
    DarthDub, CallmeBerto, Memoir and 2 others like this.
  7. lincruste

lincruste GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2008
    Antarctica
    france
    It looks great but I already played this

Memoir likes this.
  8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Good for you then. Don't buy it.

9. lincruste
    This message by lincruste has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Feb 17, 2019, Reason: Bickering.
    Feb 14, 2019
  10. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    Bomb arrow might be easier to do?
    I mean, one button instead of pressing both at the same time :P

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

hey, maybe theyll stick some items to a specific key
    I mean, for example, like in Alttp, pegasus boots will be stick to R button, or such...?

Memoir likes this.
  11. yummycake

yummycake GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2017
    United States
    Oracle of Ages/Seasons should be next!

DarthDub, SonicMC and Memoir like this.
  12. Kurt91

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    There's a problem with the comparisons between when people didn't like the Wind Waker art-style and later loving it, and people not liking the art-style of this. With Wind Waker, the people who complained about the art-style most likely didn't realize what could be done with it as far as expressions go. The game did things like Link actively looking towards points of interest, and the art style made it incredibly obvious to the player as a subtle hint system. ("Why is Link looking over there? Oh, that seems important!") Wind Waker came out on the GameCube and the previous Zelda games were on the Nintendo 64, which I'm fairly certain would have been difficult to implement something like that, so it's understandable that expressions-as-hints wouldn't have been considered by the general public since it wasn't something that had been possible up until that point. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

This game's art style doesn't seem to be anything more than just that, an art style. I suppose I can see what they're going for, a diorama like a child would make, arranging their toys to match the scenes from the game. Personally, I'm not a fan. I always felt that Minish Cap felt like a good next-step to the Game Boy games in their style and design, so I imagined a Link's Awakening remake using something like the HD Wind Waker Link model in a top-down camera perspective, and at the very least, rounding off the geometry to hide the grid layout a good amount. If they wanted to do a toy approach, they should have moved the camera to look something like that 3D Dot Heroes game or whatever it was called, to be able to see things in the far background while the camera still slid from area to area like the Game Boy game. It would also work since you'd see the mountains and potentially the Wind Fish Egg in the far background all the time, keeping it as a constant focus in your mind.

I will admit though, the two things that I'm really wanting to know is how the new rendition of Ballad of the Wind Fish will sound, and how DethI will look in this new art style.

13. Noctosphere

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Honnestly, I'd prefer not
    I'd prefer they make their original idea when they were making OoA and OoS
    Three games
    Seed of Courage, Seed of Wisdom, Seed of Power
    three games but with three games inside each of them
    Since you'll be able to play them in the order you want
    Each game contains 3 different story
    One when played first, one when played secondly, one when played last
    that makes 9 games in total :)

14. Calzone420

Calzone420 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2019
    United States
    they should make a remake of Ages/seasons, mostly because Capcom and nintendo still work together (Monster Hunter switch) so they have no excuse. Oh also mario remakes for the 3ds. Really though it doesnt affect me cause i dont want to spend the money on a switch :)

15. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    Why not on the 3DS?

And why the goombas and bomb enemies from Mario? ... That's just weird. Been smoking too much weed over at Nintendo, I see.

16. Noctosphere

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    you saw bob-omb?
    When?

I saw those goomba and spiky thing from mario
    but I didn't see bob-omb...

17. KyleHyde

KyleHyde GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2018
    Puerto Rico
    The original game also had plenty of Mario enemies; it fits with the game's setting. There's also been a couple of other Zelda titles that have had enemies from the Super Mario Bros. series, such as Minish Cap, Four Swords, and Oracle of Seasons.

They probably confused the Chain Chomp with a Bob-Omb, even though the original game does have that enemy too.

18. Noctosphere

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Oh ok, but chain chomp isnt an ennemy in this game :P

19. KyleHyde

KyleHyde GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2018
    Puerto Rico
    I know, I played the original game and even read the manga (where it looks a bit unsettling, haha).

20. PokeNas

PokeNas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    Best place on Earth
    It’s good that people are complaining about the art style because it’s absolute trash. It has no charm whatsoever. Looks like it’s running on the New Super Mario Bros engine.

You can still enhance a game and call it a remake of the original. Making a remake doesn’t mean better graphics which this game lacks too.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Oh look people enjoying their right to express themselves.

21. ssssss13

ssssss13 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Its a mistake. I had the same ''bug'' , and when replaying it with a youtube guide, the key is behind a hard to find cracked wall.