The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening is getting a remake

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Feb 13, 2019.

1. saltyCake

saltyCake Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2019
    Germany
    Germany
    I would first buy Super Mario Maker 2 and then Wait for that new Zelda game, that was planned for 2019 (if it ever see a release). I hope it don't get dealeyed like Breath Of The Wild.

Noctosphere likes this.
  2. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    The art style is cute, I don't know why people don't like it. I don't like 2D Zelda games but I might get this one because it's so adorable.

3. PokeNas

PokeNas Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    Best place on Earth
    ALBW had ok graphics. They weren’t really better.

4. saltyCake

saltyCake Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2019
    Germany
    Germany
    For me, it's a bit bright and looks a bit Childish. It looks good in Caves and Dungeons (and not so bright parts of the Overworld), but in the bright parts of Overworld it looks a bit Childish to me. Could be, because that is the first time, (for me) that they make it so cute. But, that it just a Trailer they could Change that.

5. Robfozz

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    Well the original game sucks so thats a pretty safe assumption.

6. JakobAir

JakobAir Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2017
    United States
    I'm calling in sick and staying when this comes out.

7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    And I'm sorry but don't agree with such a one-sided opinion. Too bad, so sad.

Noctosphere likes this.
  8. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    I'll probably sound like a "retro fanboy"
    But LA/OoA/OoS are the Zelda games using my favorite 2d art style
    As for the 3d art style, my favorite is TP

IHOP and the_randomizer like this.
  9. Lodad

Lodad Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2017
    United States
    I think LA needs some TLC à la AM2R. The opening sequence had me PUMPED for a remake of my favorite Zedla game, and then it was like, "Oh, some beady-eyed, turd toy character art style..." when gameplay footage started rolling.

If you're going to change art style and game mechanics, it should be for a title that has strong storytelling and pacing. Link's Awakening really wasn't that. To me, it always seemed be an attempt at being counter-mainstream (to possibly not sour the taste for fans of 1, 2, ALttP and keep development quick and inexpensive), and that was always its appeal to me. In the same way that Mario Land 2 had the character familiarity while toting a new gameplay feel, Link's Awakening offered a similar experience with a Zelda flavor: It packed the surprise of being huge for a DMG game with fluid controls and item mechanics, enemy variety, and dungeon designs that weren't overly difficult and could be belted out one by one on car rides or school day afternoons.

All of that said, I'd like to reiterate that the story wasn't the strong point of this installment, and that if the game engine and its mechanics are completely different from the original, I believe the storytelling should be fleshed out in a way that expands on the absurdity, and visits more on the uncertainty of the island's reality, all in a way that can improve its place in the timeline theory.

That's just all of my hopes and dreams in one basket, though. My expectations aren't set too high, and we'll only get what we're going to get. At the very least it's an entry point to the top-down Zelda formula for a whole generation of people whose only familiarity is possibly BotW. Perhaps enough will be inspired to check out the GBC version for the original experience and see for themselves if a nearly 30 y/o game holds up or if the remake was justified. It can also serve as a reminder to the originals' fans that the classic will always be there to fall back on.

10. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    Graphics looks dumb like albtw. Windwaker graphic look better.

11. fernan1234

fernan1234 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2017
    United States
    No, this isn't like the original reception of WW's celshade graphical style. People just didn't know the possibilities of that style. There's literally no promise to this generic look.

No, this isn't like ALBTW because that one gets a pass as a 3DS game, whereas this will be a (most likely) full-priced Switch game.

No, to criticize the graphical style is not to mean that the game will be bad. The original game is great, and so a remake is bound to be good gameplay-wise, unless Nintendo somehow messes it up. It will still look like crap (unless by some miracle Nintendo changes the style, or at least Link's awful design, for the final release).

Yes, as a fan of the series and the game in particular I will almost certainly play it (not sure about paying for it) even with these disappointing graphics. I think the main issue was the shock of the contrast of seeing the BOTW style logo and the beautiful animated intro right before the trailer cut to the gameplay footage with those New Super Mario Bros graphics.

Carlos_DobleC likes this.
  12. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    If you think the graphics look like NSMB, I think you need to get your eyes checked.

KingVamp, DarthDub and Shadow#1 like this.
  13. Carlos_DobleC

Carlos_DobleC GBAtemp Regular

Sep 22, 2016
    Spain
    That's true, NSMB graphics looks better.
    (But not as better as the original LADX).

It's a pity that for the artistic style I'm not going to buy the game (although I'll play it in Termosphere someday)

14. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    If you think the graphics look better in NSMB, I think you need to get your eyes checked

Memoir, DarthDub and Pleng like this.
  15. fernan1234

fernan1234 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2017
    United States
    The graphics look like NSMB's not in that they look identical, but in that they are both bland, lifeless, and uninspired, especially when compared to the much more charming graphics of older games in each series.

Carlos_DobleC likes this.
  16. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I can't really think of any game, let alone mobile, that looks so toy-like.

17. lincruste
    This message by lincruste has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Feb 17, 2019, Reason: Bickering.
    Feb 17, 2019
  18. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Feb 17, 2019, Reason: Bickering.
    Feb 17, 2019
  19. Noctosphere
    This message by Noctosphere has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Feb 17, 2019, Reason: Offtopic/reply to deleted post.
    Feb 17, 2019
  20. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Feb 17, 2019, Reason: Offtopic/reply to deleted post.
    Feb 17, 2019
  21. Noctosphere
    This message by Noctosphere has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Feb 17, 2019, Reason: Offtopic/reply to deleted post.
    Feb 17, 2019
  22. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Feb 17, 2019, Reason: Offtopic/reply to deleted post.
    Feb 17, 2019
  23. Noctosphere
    Feb 17, 2019
  24. the_randomizer
    Feb 17, 2019
  25. Noctosphere
    Feb 17, 2019
  26. the_randomizer
    Feb 17, 2019
  27. lincruste
    This message by lincruste has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Feb 17, 2019, Reason: Bickering.
    Feb 17, 2019
  28. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Feb 17, 2019, Reason: Bickering.
    Feb 17, 2019
  29. 2DSGamerdude

2DSGamerdude GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2015
    Greece
    Gamecube Land
    hope that it won't be "shop exclusive"
    tho, I might need a bigger SD card (64gb).
    even tho I only run physical games and only use sd for Photos/videos/DLC/Updates etc
    my 32gb has free space of 22.5gb, but a 64gb can't hurt regardless of this game's avalblitly
    If it is either physical (better) or digitally only (kinda bad)
    bad cause the whole process of adding money to eshop via card is kinda a pain,

Warning: Spoilers inside!

anyways, hope this game can come out as physical, but I'll still buy it digital even if it doesn't come out in physical from as I loved/love link's awakening.

also, while searching the net, I found this interesting article on the game:

(warning: read only if you've beaten the game or don't care about spoilers".)

30. 2DSGamerdude

2DSGamerdude GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2015
    Greece
    Gamecube Land
    glad to see this coming to switch on 20/9! will be getting it for sure, and the amino also.
    but maybe the Europe limited edition for 30 euros extra? from the standard edition (60 euro)?

im happy to see the color dudgeon from DX back :)
    tho, im a bit sadden not to see the "camera" shop from DX comeback to the remake,
    it was such a nice mini game, that rat/mouse dude taking pics was funny at times, oh and with Marin tagging along too!

usernamecharlie likes this.