“The Legend of Zelda” is "classist, sexist and racist"

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by soulx, Oct 7, 2013.

1. MushGuy

MushGuy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 11, 2010
    United States
    You best be trolling.

aphirst and JoostinOnline like this.
  2. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

Truly I am joking, no offense to you at all.

3. Alexrose

Alexrose Untitled

Jan 20, 2009
    England
    Haven't read the whole thread, but Gorman is a bad guy and he's white.

The settings just happens to have Gerudo bad guys. Next you'll be saying MM is racist against Skull Kids and masks.

Plus, the Gerudos aren't bad guys. They oppose you at the beginning, as do the gorons (to an extent). Then they become your friends and particularly help you through the last temple.

4. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I actually just came across this when looking for a picture for Ganondorf for a completely unrelated discussion on Skype, and I thought it would fit perfectly in this thread:
    [​IMG]

Boy12, Black-Ice and MarioFanatic64 like this.
  5. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    What happened to the source?

6. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

My apologies, fixed.

frogboy likes this.
  7. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    :shit::shit::shit::shit::shit::shit::shit::shit::shit:
    front page?

8. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    I doubt that the designers of the series thought about this. They probably just combined elements of stereotypical medieval times and magic.

Sounds like the gripes are both coincidental and possibly of the medieval times.

Way to over analyze things... *slow claps*

9. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 Dirty Weeb ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    C-137
    i bet you the writer who found this out has an EPIC sex life :tpi:

I can see it now:

gamer Chick: so what do YOU want to play big boi?..how about Zelda 64? one of my faves! ;)

douche: nah I would rather take apart the founding structure of the game and discredit the most beloved game on the N64 and give reasonable" arguments that prove it's classist and sexist and racist!

gamer Chick: uuhhhmmm....okay :glare: Want to play Mario Bros? :

douche: That game portrays the women demographic as helpless and puts the man in the domineering position and the woman as the helpless and defenseless damsel in dist-

gamer chick: uhhhmmmmm *sighs* Joe and Mac? Caveman Ninja!?-

douche: Portrays women as sex objects and just as a goal for sex and gives women a shallow trophylike role.

gamer Chick: METROID!?

douche: puts the role of the woman as hidden and the game is almost ashamed to let the player know they are playing as a woman. so to be sexist they hide her face under a mask

gamer chick: uhh okay..how about a game with a LEADING female role? PERFECT DARK!?

Douche: sexist towards men. Game shows that females are superior over men and most are evil and out to hurt you ...

Gamer chick: fuck! what DO you want to play then!?

Douche: TETRIS!

gamer Chick: Tetris?? you sexist son of a---uuuggggh! I can't do this. and to THINK I was going to have SEX with you!! *walks away* oh and for the record. Zelda 64 was my favorite game as a child you fucking asshole! *slams door*

calmwaters likes this.
  10. DJPlace

DJPlace The Hater of Sony Censor Ship!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States

anyone know any good blonde jokes?

fermio100 likes this.
  11. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

GBAtemp Patron
    MarkDarkness is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    Right... and why are we sending them traffic by the way? Fuck this article.

12. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Psycho!

May 5, 2013
    United States
    I'm not gonna bother to read the original material as it sounds pretty bad. Is it as bad as that feminist video on video games and sexism?

13. Geren

Geren GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2011
    Spain
    Seems like sensasionalist click-bait article. I dunno if it's a good thing to have it up in the front page, since you know, you give it some more clicks. Thank god adblock exists.

And, HOLY CRAP, there's still people who defend other m?

14. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Former Staff

Former Staff
    Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell
    You can always rely on fair and balanced journalism from Salon dot fucking com.

Edit: But seriously, I love when people have it so good in their lives that they have to FIND things to get their knickers in a twist about. Did the article writer stay up at night after beating OoT, and replay everything over and over until she thought "Goddamn, that was the most racist, classist and sexist piece of shit I have ever played"? I mean come on. You want a sexist game? Play Lollipop chainsaw. I'm sure that you wouldn't just skip over the main point that the game is satire, because you didn't completely skip over the fact that not only is Link likely not human, but neither are any of the other races of the LoZ world. And it likely doesn't take place on Earth, because I don't know about you, but I don't know of any Land of Hyrule that I could just pack my bags up and head off to. It's a fictional game, set in a fictional world inhabited by pixels and polygons. Pull your head out of your ass just long enough to realize that the game devs never intended to flip the middle finger to women, minorities and lower class citizens. It's a game. It's meant to be a place where you can lose yourself and have fun. That whole premise kind of unravels once you start picking shit apart like a first year philosophy major.

calmwaters likes this.
  15. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I keep reading the word "classist" as "classiest"

16. dmace81

dmace81 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2008
    United States
    Mario kills turtles, Pokemon are slaves, and in grand theft auto you steal cars. Its a game for crying outloud! Its not real life! This is one of the stupidest posts ive seen on here. Thats all I have to say.

aphirst likes this.
  17. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    Yep, sounds like "I'm choosing to interpret this as representative of everyone or everything", which is just as hypocritical in and of itself.

aphirst likes this.
  18. Auyx

Auyx GBAtemp's Unofficial Sanic impersonator

Jun 20, 2007
    Staffordshire
    The fact that this has been frontpage'd and the quantity of schoolboy level responses has made me a little ashamed of this forum. There is nothing wrong with criticism of art and the questions popping up around video games at the moment are extremely important. I would suggest that you consider these situations as a chance to strengthen and improve our favored medium. Criticism does not equal condemnation.

ntpsq likes this.
  19. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 Dirty Weeb ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    C-137
    *looks at frontpage*

*thinks about Kotaku comparison*

*Thinks about the bajillion tempers who will aggro over comparison*

doesn't do it.

20. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    United Kingdom
    London
    League of Legends has 2 black champions.
    One of them speaks speaks god knows what language when casting spells
    And the other uses guns,

Let me go burn down Riot buildings for racism, this is a huge problem that deeply affects me as a black man.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted