The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 is officially called Tears of the Kingdom, will be out this May

It wouldn't be Nintendo if a Direct didn't end on a dramatic reveal--Breath of the Wild 2 is back, and it has an official name now. It is now titled The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. There's a brief trailer that offers a glimpse at some new details, as well as most importantly, the game's release date. The game will be out on May 12, 2023.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I cant wait for it!The only thing i dislike about the trailer is the jank looking animation transition between the diving/falling states

Reactions: _TheGuy_

_TheGuy_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't buy many games day 1 these days, but this is definitely Day 1 for me. I expected more from the trailer though since the name was unveiled, something to the scale of E3 2016's BOTW trailer or even the Switch Presentation trailer, but hopefully by Jan/Feb we'll get one. Link falling through the air for the first time showed a lot more, this one didn't do much aside from the name and added hieroglyphics.

I'm most curious whether they'll bring traditional dungeons back. I'm guessing the shrines will have no role in this game. And the map looks to be the same area, above Hyrule castle and whatnot. I wonder if there are any newer areas to discover in the overworld at all?

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Will this have the godawful stamina and weapon and shield fragility of BotW? Will traditional (and superior) dungeon design return?

Hopefully no, and yes. If stamina and/or fragility returns, it'd just be a pain to play, just like BotW was, and the Divine Beasts were just not fun to explore.

Reactions: YoureALoser

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Will this have the godawful stamina and weapon and shield fragility of BotW? Will traditional (and superior) dungeon design return?

Hopefully no, and yes. If stamina and/or fragility returns, it'd just be a pain to play, just like BotW was, and the Divine Beasts were just not fun to explore.
I guess you are gonna need to wait 8 months. Joy.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait a minute. something doesn't add up. WHERE MY ZELDA REMASTERS AT!?

Tears of the Moderator more like.
If they are coming to Switch, it will probably be like a year or so after TOTK releases before either gets added to the platform. Even when it comes to rereleases and remakes, Nintendo really likes their Zelda games to breathe and typically have at least a year between titles. Not like Kirby apparently lol.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well I hope you're wrong in regard to stamina and weapon and shield durability, cuz I genuinely loved those mechanics. I would love to see proper dungeons though for sure, but hey BOTW proved a Zelda game can still be great even without them, so I wont lose sleep if we don't end up getting proper dungeons.

Honestly, it just sounds like these modern Zelda games simply aren't for you, as you want them to be something different than what they are.

Reactions: GiR-Kart-64

GiR-Kart-64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well I hope you're wrong in regard to stamina and weapon and shield durability, cuz I genuinely loved those mechanics.
I don't have a problem with those mechanics either and specifically weapon durability made the game much more interesting to play. Always curious about what some players are doing that they cant find one of the many thousands of replacement weapons just lying all of the place.

Reactions: MikaDubbz

Sphaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My hopes for this game:
A) No more Weapon fragility
b) Much more, and better, dungeons
c) Cut down on the cooking / food recipes. For potions I think cooking is fine, but I like to get healing /hearts the Old Fashioned Way
d) A smaller map than BOTW. For me, a grown man with limited free time, I really hope they cut down on all the empty space and keep all interesting places/Secrets more concentrated. I don't need a HUGE map, just give me a medium one with a lot of content!

• Love
Reactions: AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well I hope you're wrong in regard to stamina and weapon and shield durability, cuz I genuinely loved those mechanics. I would love to see proper dungeons though for sure, but hey BOTW proved a Zelda game can still be great even without them, so I wont lose sleep if we don't end up getting proper dungeons.

Honestly, it just sounds like these modern Zelda games simply aren't for you, as you want them to be something different than what they are.
Limited stamina did nothing but force the player to play around an arbitrary gauge, and wait for it to refill when it was empty or nearly so; it just wasn't fun at all. Waste of time, that; there's a reason why no Legend of Zelda game save Skyward Sword utilised this godawful mechanic - it actively reduces player enjoyment. No need for it.

As for weapon/shield fragility, that made all the well-hidden gear and gear rewards feel utterly worthless, since they were all going to break in a mere handful of swings or shots or blocks. Not even the Master Sword escaped this horrific treatment. Skyward Sword had shield fragility, but you could repair damaged shields, there was a shield bar showing durability, and the lategame Hylian Shield was unbreakable - so it did this far better than BotW did. I understand it was done to force the player to experiment with different weapons, but what if they didn't want to? Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey had multiple weapon varieties, that the player could experiment with if they wanted to, but they also allowed you to keep and strengthen weapons if you didn't, since their weapons were all unbreakable.

Oh, and I didn't even mention the lack of map markers, thereby not giving the player a sense of direction; feeling lost in a huge world ain't fun. I, for one, like to know what my goal is, where I'm heading, what to expect, and map markers accomplish all three. Sure, don't flood the map with them like Ubisoft does, but don't all but strip the game of them like BotW did.
Nor did i mention how the Gerudo are actively hostile and discriminatory towards men, yet that doesn't seem to matter, when vice-versa would and does generate a ton of outrage.

I just want GOOD Legend of Zelda games, like what Nintendo used to make. Games that are fun to play, and don't have active hindrances and limitations in what the player can do. An open-world LoZ game can be done right, but BotW wasn't it.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Limited stamina did nothing but force the player to play around an arbitrary gauge, and wait for it to refill when it was empty or nearly so; it just wasn't fun at all. Waste of time, that; there's a reason why no Legend of Zelda game save Skyward Sword utilised this godawful mechanic - it actively reduces player enjoyment. No need for it.

As for weapon/shield fragility, that made all the well-hidden gear and gear rewards feel utterly worthless, since they were all going to break in a mere handful of swings or shots or blocks. Not even the Master Sword escaped this horrific treatment. Skyward Sword had shield fragility, but you could repair damaged shields, there was a shield bar showing durability, and the lategame Hylian Shield was unbreakable - so it did this far better than BotW did. I understand it was done to force the player to experiment with different weapons, but what if they didn't want to? Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey had multiple weapon varieties, that the player could experiment with if they wanted to, but they also allowed you to keep and strengthen weapons if you didn't, since their weapons were all unbreakable.

Oh, and I didn't even mention the lack of map markers, thereby not giving the player a sense of direction; feeling lost in a huge world ain't fun. I, for one, like to know what my goal is, where I'm heading, what to expect, and map markers accomplish all three. Sure, don't flood the map with them like Ubisoft does, but don't all but strip the game of them like BotW did.
Nor did i mention how the Gerudo are actively hostile and discriminatory towards men, yet that doesn't seem to matter, when vice-versa would and does generate a ton of outrage.

I just want GOOD Legend of Zelda games, like what Nintendo used to make. Games that are fun to play, and don't have active hindrances and limitations in what the player can do. An open-world LoZ game can be done right, but BotW wasn't it.
You're writing an essay to explain why you don't like those mechanics, and I'm telling you I straight up enjoyed how they made me play the game. Clearly what these new Zelda games are, is simply not for you. Now maybe they'll do away with those mechanics, and you'd be happy, but since we're sharing what we personally enjoy or not, I'm just telling you I really hope they don't remove those mechanics, cuz again I genuinely enjoy how they made me approach the game throughout the hundreds of hours I sunk into it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.