the left shoulder button wont work...

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by nin10do, Apr 20, 2008.

Apr 20, 2008
  1. nin10do
    OP

Member nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    the L button on my ds has officially given up. i have to press it really hard and even then it only works half the time. my ds is only 4 months old. it's too young to die [​IMG]

any suggestions on fixing this?

anyone elses ds suffer from premature button failure?

2. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    blow Into into the button. repeat often. That could fix it temporarily
    Also, You could buy a cheap (like $2) Tri-wing screw driver, take the ds apart and wipe the buttons contacts

3. chalupa

Member chalupa GBAtemp Fan

United States
    call up Nintendo and arrange for a fix since it's still under warranty.

4. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    First try blowing in between contact of your button and DS's casing as ferrariman suggested it..Maybe if you have some kind of compressed air, something under the pressure, try using it, it's more effective..It is a common problem that was asked and reported on this forum few times..
    Don't send into repair if it's easly fixed..They will open your Nintendo DS and you'll be without your handheld for few days..

5. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I have the same problem, except mine is the right shoulder button, i bought a ds lite(had a ds original) just cuz of this reason, the l+r+select buttons weren't working.

6. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    yeah, get it sent back under warranty.. thats the best bet.. [​IMG]

7. Tyralyon

Newcomer Tyralyon Advanced Member

Norway
    I had this issue as well, but fixed it myself.

Open the DS and find the switch on the board that goes for the shoulderbutton. Remove the rubber button that sits inside the switch (it can be a bit tricky, but I managed to get it out eventually). Use some kinda spray that evaporates, alchohol-based or whatever. I used a kinda electrospray my dad had. Spray a little bit inside the hole and leave the DS alone for a while (I let mine rest over the night).
    Put the rubber button back in (this is even more tricky than taking it out, but it's not really THAT big of a deal, just use some kinda thin tool and press around the edges to pop it back in place) and assemble the DS back together. Worked like a charm.

8. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    You're still in warranty. They'll fix or send you another one with a full one year warranty.

9. stanleyopar2000

Member stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

United States
    wow lol mine just broke...i can still PUSH the button but nothing happens... [​IMG]

must be a recall or something because it was the Left Shoulder Button too [​IMG]

for now i have my PSP..but i want to still play Naruto Ninja Destiny II DS! (JAPN)

10. krazykirk

Member krazykirk GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    You should do what some other random guy with the same problem did and CAREFULLY put the shoulder button under the tap or something like that.

Actually don't do that.

If the button is still making clicky noises, then it could just mean the connection inside the button has come loose. You could try taking it apart and have a look. [​IMG] Or feel free to try the other methods people are suggesting.